Hide
11 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: Card art - final? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Highlander Highlander
msg tools
Just watched the kickstarter for Rising Sun.
Miniatures look awesome. The bigger cards with the Oni/Kami?Monster art look cool....

.....but the map and the cards for the actions and (to a lesser extent) the seasons, look pretty horrible. They look like homemade, clip art cards...the horrible coloured box frames, the cheap "ink" outlines of the castles and people....i love minimalist Japanese ink artwork...but those look pretty average

Does anyone know if the art on those cards and on the gameboard is final or not? Just prototypes? I was looking for that kind of statement on the kickstarter page but couldn't find anything to that effect....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple I'm guessing prototypes, compared to the final art for Blood Rage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
meeple I'm guessing prototypes, compared to the final art for Blood Rage.

Really? The Blood Rage Kickstarter seems to have displayed the FINAL artwork. My guess is this is the final work. CMON rarely goes to KS with a partially done product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it's final. I think it looks good and matches the theme well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlander Highlander
msg tools
Did you like artwork for the cards that show seppuku/hsotage etc?

And the cards that show marshall etc too?

I thought those looked really cheap.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
The map?!! The map didn't look good to you? Wow, had no idea tastes could be that different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaban Jin wrote:

One man's "cheap" is another man's "thematically correct minimalism". cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scottie Mick
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JadedGamer wrote:
Yaban Jin wrote:

One man's "cheap" is another man's "thematically correct minimalism". cool

This. It's based on Japanese calligraphy and art. Less is more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlander Highlander
msg tools
Like I said..I'm a big fan of Japanese calligraphy and art...been living in Japan for many years and have seen lots and lots of it

But from what I saw on the kickstarter video of those particular cards...looked to me (and it seems like I am in the minority in my opinion)that it was a tacky version of it

Hopefully I'm wrong though

And yeah...the gameboard looked average to me....the colours looked a bit 90s or something....which was weird considering how awesome the miniatures and the other artwork cards looked....I have seen images on-line of other game boards that looked average and then seen that they look much better when you see the physical copy but hhmmm

Will have to wait and see I guess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaban Jin wrote:
Just watched the kickstarter for Rising Sun.
Miniatures look awesome. The bigger cards with the Oni/Kami?Monster art look cool....

.....but the map and the cards for the actions and (to a lesser extent) the seasons, look pretty horrible. They look like homemade, clip art cards...the horrible coloured box frames, the cheap "ink" outlines of the castles and people....i love minimalist Japanese ink artwork...but those look pretty average

Does anyone know if the art on those cards and on the gameboard is final or not? Just prototypes? I was looking for that kind of statement on the kickstarter page but couldn't find anything to that effect....

I agree with you. I am hoping that things change but not feeling its likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlander Highlander
msg tools
Yeah...I get what they are going for with the ink style line work on those simple colour box cards....but it looks basic rather than artful and minimalist...

..actually doesn't look like much has progressed on those cards since the prototype the dice tower guys played

People in Japan I've showed it to think it looks pretty horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.