Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...Whatever happened to cribbage?

I think my point here is that in the "golden age" of the hobby, everyone still wants 2p games when the point is to game face to face. 2p games are great, but most games benefit from more people and, oddly enough, most people benefit as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It gets rec'd all the time.

Most people looking for recs are after something shiny and new that's exciting to open and set up and play, so even when it is mentioned, it's overlooked in favour of something with interesting box art.

I'm sure Cribbage is an amazing and timeless game, but I'm still not over discovering colourful new games.
It might be good, but so is chess. The problem is that people have heard of them before. Discovering board gaming feels fantastic and fun, and you don't want to go "backwards" when there are new designs coming out all the time.

Maybe I'll have my mum teach me how to play one day. I remember enjoying it the one time many years ago I gave it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about pinochle? It's so hard to find a game these days. I spent a week in jail many years ago and 85% of the population played pinochle 10 hours a day. I miss those days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saad1000 wrote:
I spent a week in jail many years ago (...) I miss those days.
I think it's not that hard to get back into jail if you want to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cribbage is for those who only had a pack of cards and their only option was Chess, Monopoly, Candyland, Sorry and Clue.

Today, we've got options. Lots and lots of better options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's becoming harder and harder to gather 3 people around a table. I know I certainly have trouble doing it. I mostly play solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you saying that New Salem is better than Twilight Struggle because it supports eight players instead of just two?

It doesn't work like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acklevoy wrote:
It gets rec'd all the time.

Most people looking for recs are after something shiny and new that's exciting to open and set up and play, so even when it is mentioned, it's overlooked in favour of something with interesting box art.

I'm sure Cribbage is an amazing and timeless game, but I'm still not over discovering colourful new games.
It might be good, but so is chess. The problem is that people have heard of them before. Discovering board gaming feels fantastic and fun, and you don't want to go "backwards" when there are new designs coming out all the time.

Maybe I'll have my mum teach me how to play one day. I remember enjoying it the one time many years ago I gave it a go.

These games have (or used to have) a big upside that new 2p games don't have though. The same that M:tG has: there are plenty of people who know them already that you can play them with.

Everybody knows chess, checkers! Even if they suck at it, they know the basic rules. Plus the abstract theme makes it easier to get into for most people, whereas go make my mother play Star Realms. Okay she loves Alien but still, the theme's way too nerdy for her and she wouldn't be able to wrap her hand around the rules.
Granted, she probably wouldn't understand chess either whistle

What I mean is that you could play Chess with your grandma but not Star Realms as she would have to learn the rules and get into the theme, while she probably can get into Chess easier if she's not into it already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very much not cult of the new, but Cribbage isn't that special.

Quote:
everyone still wants 2p games when the point is to game face to face. 2p games are great, but most games benefit from more people and, oddly enough, most people benefit as well

So, you're saying they miss the point of how they want to have fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Game groups are the past. 99% of problems on Boardgamegeek are threads complaining about members of their game groups. There is an active 2 player revolution taking place, with Rahdo as our leader. 2 player gaming is by far the best way to game and you will see more and more requests for 2 player game recommendations. These days, if a game requires 3+ players, the publishers will quickly find they have less sales than anticipated. I for one immediately boycott 100% of new games requiring 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
Game groups are the past. 99% of problems on Boardgamegeek are threads complaining about members of their game groups. There is an active 2 player revolution taking place, with Rahdo as our leader. 2 player gaming is by far the best way to game and you will see more and more requests for 2 player game recommendations. These days, if a game requires 3+ players, the publishers will quickly find they have less sales than anticipated. I for one immediately boycott 100% of new games requiring 3 players.

Nah, you're missing the point. You're better off playing solo. Finding another player is too much of a hassle, and they win too often to my taste. I mean, my opponent wins more than 1% of our games. That's unacceptable. I will only accept a two player game if it's a cooperative one, as I can use another brain. But that's it.

1PFL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
bradelli wrote:
There is an active 2 player revolution taking place, with Rahdo as our leader.

You're better off playing solo.

Considering the guild member counts for both Rahdo Runs Through which is impressive and the 1 Player guild which is 2nd largest on bgg ... I believe you're both right.

Proud member of both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up playing Cribbage with my Grandfather, I have no interest in playing Cribbage anymore. The game plays itself when you know what you are doing, for the most part.

I love 2-player games. Right now I have two children living with me and they make up our 4 person game group, including my wife. At some point in the future, that group will end up being just 2 people for the majority of the time and I'm already preparing for that. On top of that, sometimes the other people are busy and you just have 2 and I love that there is some amazing games out there built specifically for that player count.

I will be playing Akrotiri for the first time in about 4 hours when I get off work, yeah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Isn't Cribbage the game that pioneered fiddly scoring?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
If you manage to click exactly on my avatar's eye, you will win a special prize! Be careful though, as the penalty for missing it is severe.
mbmbmbmbmb
What about things like the GIPF project? They took something that was old (GO), and made brand new, fresh, and fun designs. AND THEY'RE AMAZING!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolkster wrote:
Cribbage is for those who only had a pack of cards and their only option was Chess, Monopoly, Candyland, Sorry and Clue.

Today, we've got options. Lots and lots of better options.

I disagree. We have lots of options, but Cribbage is still one of my favorite two player games. It's a very solid game.

Pinochle is great as well, but not nearly as much as Cribbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.