Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there a list of story characters represented by character cards in the game?

Wondering if people have set up games trying to follow the various stories using the correct characters & types of monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham is a hodgepodge. It would be nearly impossible to re-create the plot elements of any given story. Arkham just takes elements from a multitude of stories and blends them together. At best, without completely renovating the game, you could just remove components that aren't thematically sound, like I have with my introductory scenarios.

To answer your first question, most ally cards are characters from official stories (example: Tom Malone is from The Horror at Red Hook, although Arkham Horror incorrectly states he's visiting from Boston, when it should be New York).

All the Investigators are FFG originals, save for remakes of CoC RPG characters like Harvey Walters, who appeared in the 1987 Chaosium version of Arkham Horror.

Of course, many of these investigators did recently appear in FFG's original Arkham-based novels, so I guess they're part of Cthulhu Mythos stories now too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling "original" Lovecraft characters are mostly included in to the game as allies.

AH itself doesn't lend well to replaying most/all Lovecraft stories. A lot of them don't take place in Arkham and off the top of my head, I couldn't come up with a single one featuring the gate mechanics in some way.

If you want to replay the stories, you should consider the Call of Cthulhu RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn H.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, Tibb's scenarios are here and do a great job of what you asked for:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/69008/introductory-and-ex...

Des_T,

I am not sure the original Lovecraft stories wouldn't lend themselves to the game if altered a little. I created a few expansions to try and do that. I would prefer they stuck closer to HPL's work than all the "Joey the Rat" cliches.

"off the top of my head, I couldn't come up with a single one featuring the gate mechanics in some way"

Not to be too much of a smart ass, but wouldn't the window at the end of "The Music of Erich Zann" be similar to a gate in the game? Or the entity at the Whateley Farm in the Dunwich Horror? The night black pool in the crypt under Parker Place in the Horror at Red Hook?

If you consider August Derleth's posthumous publications to be valid, then the Rose Window from the Lurker at the Threshold might also qualify.

Or the entity that comes out of a gate at the end of the The Fires of Asshurbanipal by Robert E Howard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking mostly about the Lovecraft stories when I said "original" (the expanded lore is too huge for me to make a qualified statement), I have to agree that Red Hook is very AH-ish.

The main char investigates locations, gathers clues, and finally goes through a gate, explores the other dimension, and then uses dynamite for his fight check to close it (or something like that - it's been a while).

If I were to nitpick, I'd have to say it doesn't play in Arkham, but that'd be silly of me. I admit to having been outgeeked.

+1geek to you, good sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an old thread that discussed the matter of adherence to Lovecraft...

How Lovecraftean is Arkham Horror?

Also, an interesting sidelight on Arkham characters...

The Ally and stage magician Erich Weiss (From the Dark Pharaoh expansion) is a Lovecraft character, since HPL wrote the story "Beneath the Pyramids" from Weiss's point of view.

Actually, he ghost wrote it, so it could be published under Weiss's better known stage name; Harry Houdini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.