Popular Tags: [View All]
shrey
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When taking penalty tiles would you still get to perform the action?

For example, if you place a worker on a 10 cost/3 VP farm and you don't have the money, you would take -3VP. But do you also get to take the farm?

Another example, if you want to hire a foreign worker but don't have the money, or don't want to spend the money on that, do you take the worker and the penalty tile? Or just the penalty tile?

I suspect the answer is you get no benefit from the action since that is one way from bypassing taking a loan action. On the other hand, getting -3VPs for a farm rather than gaining 1VP is a significant difference.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shreyank wrote:
When taking penalty tiles would you still get to perform the action?

For example, if you place a worker on a 10 cost/3 VP farm and you don't have the money, you would take -3VP. But do you also get to take the farm?

Another example, if you want to hire a foreign worker but don't have the money, or don't want to spend the money on that, do you take the worker and the penalty tile? Or just the penalty tile?

I suspect the answer is you get no benefit from the action since that is one way from bypassing taking a loan action. On the other hand, getting -3VPs for a farm rather than gaining 1VP is a significant difference.

Thanks!

I do not have the rules at hand but I think I remember that you do not get the farm, worker or any other effect of the action space in that case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you do not get the benefit as you have not payed for it. You´ve only blocked the place and that`s why you get the penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. If you've had to take a penalty tile that means you either couldn't take the action, or chose not to. So no you do not get the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are taking the penalty tile for not being able to, or choosing not to take the action. The crime isn't not having enough money. Otherwise you wouldn't bother to try to pay, you'd just take big value industries and suffer the penalty which would soon be offset by the benefits gained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shrey
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. Yes, that makes complete sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.