Go Jira
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This 18"x18" game board is done with the exception of the vehicles strewn about the map. A painstaking process since I have to place each vehicle on the map individually. I think this detail greatly improves the suspension of disbelief. As always, the scale is a strict 1:1200 scale. Here is an example:

But before I go any further forward, I could use some feedback from you folks.

Here is the game board and for comparison a tweak I made with the intention to better illustrate the border of the hex grid. I am not sure if this is necessary however.

Here is a full resolution sample of the board as it stands, if you would like to closely scrutinize the map:
Full resolution map sample

Do any of you with graphic design experience have any feedback on this? I am a hobbyist graphic designer at best, who uses photoshop CS2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It's a pretty great looking board. One thing I don't like about the grid is that it's pure white. This is something I absolutely hated about the Descent boards. You had those bright white lines ruining the artwork. Have you tried a thicker line with a lower opacity?

As to your question, I don't think the game NEEDS the broader outline on the borders, but I do think it looks better.

If you don't mind a bit of critique on a different aspect, the "default Photoshop drop shadow" on the buildings really bugs me because the lines don't match up as a real cast shadow would. The buildings almost look like they're floating. It's good for the trees, but the buildings, not so much.

I think the best way to do the shadows is the top way in this sample image:

But that's also the most time-consuming way.

If you want to go the quicker way, with drop shadows, punch up the Spread on them (I went kinda light on it to somewhat match what you did, but natural shadows would have a much harder line to them)and bring them in closer, so that the shadow is seen all around the building, but only a little bit at the light source direction. This gives you a bit of a high noon shadow effect, with a bit of ambient occlusion. Looks a bit more natural.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Twu
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
I think the buildings would feel less floaty if there are driveways or paths leading up to them from the street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.