Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to make players have an ability or trait for the game to make them more individual and less "vanilla"?

eg, Similar to faction abilities in Alien Frontiers, or factions in Scythe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm sure there is. But you'll have to think of it and test it first.
Some suggestions:
_ extra points for certain factions of buildings (like magic)
_ extra point per 2 coins
_ extra point per building/recruit that's worth 3 points or more

Those would be a bit like the generals in quests of valeria.

Other possibility would absolutely need more testing for balance(more so even then the before mentioned)
Namely, one where each player might react differently during actions, for instance 1 faction also gaining 1 gold if following tax or gsining an extra gold if someone uses their resources instead of them.

But alas, I let you decide over the possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you have special secret character you choose at the beginning of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:
Don't you have special secret character you choose at the beginning of the game?

Not with villages of valeria. You do have those with quests of valeria... sometimes hard keeping all those valeria's sepperated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quests of Valeria?? Blimey! I hadn't realised that was out!

I wonder whether there'll be a grand meeting/amalgamation/grand campaign, featuring all the Valeria games?

At the moment just trying out a modest variant:

Each castle gets 1 trait, which in practical turns is a "free" turn-on-turn spend... Or maybe just for the first few turns...

Red=Soldier
Yellow=Adventurer
Mauve=Worker
Black=Shadow
White=Holy

It's to try to have a theme for each castle/colour, which may then set the player off on a course favouring his/her trait.

Might work, might not. Will report back fellow BeeGeeGeekers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
egg_citizen wrote:
capricorn_tm wrote:

Not with villages of valeria. You do have those with quests of valeria... sometimes hard keeping all those valeria's sepperated

DOH! modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Maraccas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to hearing what you come up with, Colin!

Most of the powers that give you extra VP you can think of will be in the Building/Adventurer powers. Here are some general guidelines:

Soldier = Most of these Buildings are based on gaining and manipulating cards.

Worker = Most of these Buildings are based on discounting resources on a Build and gaining fast Gold.

Shadow = These Buildings try to dabble in everything, but we tried to make Shadow have some take-that stuff in it.

Holy = Most of these Buildings are based on gaining more Gold.

Here are a few things you could try...

Red=Soldier "Your hand limit is 9. When you Follow, you may perform a follow Harvest action instead of following the led action."

Yellow=Adventurer "When you follow a Recruit action, you only pay 1 Gold to recruit an Adventurer."

Mauve=Worker "During setup, discard 1 card to Develop a second Resource and start with an extra Gold."

Black=Shadow "When you Follow, you may discard 3 Cards to gain 1 Gold instead of following the led action."

White=Holy "When you lead the Tax action, you may take 1 Card from any player instead of drawing from the line/deck. When you build a Holy building, you may take 1 Card from any player."

These are things I just thought of now and haven't been tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Any chance you could let us know if there are any more expansions coming for the Valeria trilogy? All of them? Some of them?

I really like the idea of player powers or other non-random non-take-that expansions for Villages.

If you need local (Seattle) playtesters, lemme know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Isaias! Thanks for your ideas. My first game (playing all five colours as a test), didn't seem to make much of a difference after the early game: Regardless of each colour's bonuses (such as a free resource of any type when building your faction's building type). This is because from mid to late game you are pursuing VPs and thus would go for the higher value building regardless of your faction. Also because by mid to late game, most players will have sufficient resources and gold coins to be able to purchase most buildings.

But it's quite fun to have a (moderate) tamper with the game to add variety- especially when playing solo.

By the way, I have bought some chinese metal coins off the internet with a hollow centre, which are great for placing over resources when buying them, and give a more satisfactory feel to the gold coins IMHO!

Onward and upward Valerians!

ps- Is there any chance of the Valerian games being converted to iOS (Apple iPad) or Android, so it could be played while on the move? That would be awesome! Maybe as a kickstarter ( as done recently for the card game "Epic").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.