Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Looking for a type of board game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M J
msg tools
Hi, I'm trying to design a board game with a system of 2 large AI factions fighting while players are intervening on behalf or against either side. I was wondering if anyone knew of any board games that had a system similar to this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
American Football?

Almost sounds like a tower defense type of thing, where the game has programmed/determined actions that will be taken unless someone "does something."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try the GMT COIN Series. For example, Cuba Libre provides AI sheets to control any of the four warring factions; so it's possible to play, say, with two human players in a four-sided conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To make sure I get the question right: You basically want a game where factions are independent of players and players can decide to support either, depending on their current goals?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rum and Bones - esp. 2nd edition, does this really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M J
msg tools
ovis wrote:
To make sure I get the question right: You basically want a game where factions are independent of players and players can decide to support either, depending on their current goals?

Essentially yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a board game design forum where this query might bear more fruit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theghost1337 wrote:
ovis wrote:

Essentially yes

Sounds intersting, but I can't think of many games doing that and the only ones that come to mind where players are somewhat uncoupled from the actual "characters" in the game are interestingly enough all lighter games:

To some extent Takenoko is doing this, with the Panda eating and the gardener planting the bamboo and the players trying to use both of them to fulfill their goals.

In Black Fleet while every player has their own merchant and pirate ships there is also the Navy ships that each player can control on their turn to go after the other players.

Similar thing in Colt Express where the marshal would be a character that all players can take control of temporarily to hinder their opponents or to make the way free for themselves, overall again everyone has their own character though.

In Colosseum the emperor and senators are also moved by all players trying to get them into their own colosseum.

And I guess there are some racing/betting games like Camel Up or Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise where all players are influencing who is moving and how far based on their bets, but no character "belongs" to a player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.