Recommend
64 
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Hero Realms» Forums » Reviews

Subject: See that big gray thing in the corner? Nope, I don't see any elephant. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Star Realms is a great little game. It's as good a balance as you'll get in a deck-builder with 5 random card buys, composing of 4 different factions, and each with a unique feel. It's quite impressive, enabling a tug-of-war that keeps both players engaged. It can be played casually, more competitively, or more likely both (that's me and my friends), without taking much time. Easy setup. Easy breakdown. It can be a quick filler while waiting for a 3rd player, or it can be the main course when you know you'll have interruptions and can't focus on a larger game. And it has a fun sci-fi theme -- icing on the cake.

So when the creators announced a successor in this vein, but with a fantasy theme (also with 4 factions, yet now with different starting decks corresponding to different characters) let's all just admit it -- to quote Po from Kung-Fu Panda when he witnessed awesomeness: "I think I just peed a little." And that's because we knew that if anyone knew how to make a deck-builder that's balanced, fairly quick, balanced, fun, balanced, theme-integrating, balanced, faction distinctive, balanced, counter-enabling, balanced, and has card combo-working deliciousness that doesn't deflate the other player, it was this team. Oh, and lest I forget, they also understood the importance of, and are good at, balance.

As info came out, we gawked at the card art, wondered how the different factions and starting characters would work, waited for the Kickstarter to begin, and instantly threw our money down, heralding their new guaranteed hit. In fact, we probably all would have done it sight unseen because we knew that for these guys, gameplay and fun competitiveness come first, with all kinds of asymmetrical goodness oozing out the edges.

But then some cards started to get posted and we thought, "Hmm. That seems awfully cheap for that much attack," and "Hmm. That's a ton of healing you can get if you combo a couple of these." and "Hmm. You can heal, attack, buy, and draw a card for only that much?" However, we pushed aside our concerns, assuming this must be Star Realms on steroids, with big hits and big heals. Because we all knew they would have play tested this to death and they'd know balance was the key to making the game a fun hit that keeps hitting the table.


Images by AJEddy

Fast forward and we've all gotten the game. We've all played it a lot as head-to-head. A few with just the base decks, but we've all quickly moved on to the character decks as they are much cooler, composing the vast majority of our games. (Seriously -- who wants to play vanilla mode when you have characters you can embody!?) So if you're like me, you've found Hero Realms has a much different vibe than Star Realms, though not necessarily in a good way. I recall what someone said when we initially voiced concerns about certain cards: "Hero Realms ramps up faster than Star Realms." Uh. Yeah. Let's just call that the understatement of 2016.

Now don't get me wrong. I've had some fun back and forth games of Hero Realms. But. But...

About 1/5 to 1/4 of the games have not been back and forth, but ones you can tell rather quickly who's going to win unless something drastic changes. For instance, if one guy gets a couple of red cards to let him trash his starters, you know he's going to win. I've also seen players discarded to death, thereby locking them down and sending them on a non-stop train to imminent death.

When that happens, is it fun? Um. Not so much. In fact, pretty anti-fun, really. So what happened?

I wish I knew, but I wasn't behind the closed doors. I wasn't in the meetings. I wasn't a play tester. And I'm certainly no game designer. (Nor do I play one on TV.) But I was initially pretty stunned that the designers of Star Realms made this. Instead, it has a "Star Realms fanboy" vibe to it, as if some noobs said, "If X, Y, and Z are what make Star Realms so great, then let's just make all those things bigger and it'll all even out!" Obviously, it doesn't play out that way, or at least not in competitive head-to-head. (Be patient -- I'll get to the other angles a bit later.)

For starters, let's talk about the starting decks/characters. There have been lots of discussions on which are best and which aren't, etc. While there's validity to that, I've no desire to compare because it's more what comes up early in the card buy that has the greatest influence on the game. And the biggest offenders are red cards that let you thin your decks. As I said earlier, if you can get 1, you've already got a good leg up on the other guy. Get a couple and it's practically game over. Why so?

Well, because in Star Realms, you each have 10 puny cards, so while thinning your deck is a viable strategy, it can be countered as it takes a while because... well.. you have 10 puny cards. The other guy can also buy such red cards and/or destroy them from the center, etc. However, in Hero Realms, of your 10 starting cards, only 5-6 are puny. The others are actually pretty decent by doing and/or giving more than a single resource. So if one player can thin out even a couple of his 5-6 puny cards, his deck ramps up much faster than it ever could in Star Realms. Not only that, but these cheap red cards hit harder than the cheap red cards in Star Realms, making buying them a no-brainer. And not only that, but there are red champions (aka Stations in Star Realms) that also do this and that don't cost nearly as much the stations in Star Realms that can thin your deck.


Images by AJEddy

The thing is, when flipping through all the cards in the deck and seeing what all they can do kind of makes it feel like it should even out with big hits and big healing. And thankfully, sometimes it does. But sadly, what happens more than I'd like to admit is... well... the thing is... one player can... um... well... *gulp*... all right then... here goes...

In head-to-head, it's not that uncommon for one player to steamroll the other player.

*sigh*

There. I've said it. The elephant in the room that a few of us have tiptoed around because frankly, we don't want to admit it. We like the art, we like the flow of play, we like the engine it's built upon, and we most definitely don't want to sound like one of those Star Realms noobs who complain about faction balance. Yes, we've had good games with Hero Realms... but more than we'd like to admit, we don't have good games, as some cards give too much of an early advantage and/or do too much for such a cheap cost. So yes, Hero Realms most definitely and definitively "ramps up faster", but the flaw is it may happen for only 1 player. And in a competitive 2 player game, long term, that's a death knell.

I know, I know... Hero Realms is not only meant to be a head-to-head game. Please just wait a bit longer...

Now to be fair, the designers had some big shoes to fill and they couldn't simply port Star Realms to a fantasy theme. But tossing the balanced, competitive play out the window for a more bash and slash slug-fest where a winner may be declared at mid-game feels like moving from Boxing (Star Realms) to Ultimate Fighting (Hero Realms). So rather than enjoying the "sweet science" of fighters possibly going 10 rounds to test their endurance by jostling for position and countering each other (yet still with the potential for a knock-out) we have a game that may end before it really starts, as one guy punches the other guy lying on the mat over and over again. Some might call that sporting and fun, but I'm not one of them.

There's a scene in the upcoming Despicable Me 3 trailer that makes me laugh every time I see it, which now makes me think of Hero Realms after multiple plays: Lucy says she has started calling them, as a couple, "Grucy" -- a combination of Gru and Lucy. To which Gru smiles and says, "I like it!" (short pause as his expression becomes neutral) "It's ok." (short pause as he frowns) "I don't like it."

To those having fun with Hero Realms in head-to-head, I wish them well. I was one for a while, rating it at 9, but after dozens of games, it's dropped to a 7 and it may reach 6. I can have fun with it, but I don't see myself buying exps like I did for Star Realms as it doesn't have the long-term, competitive staying power. And you know what? It doesn't have to. For good or bad, and for different gamers' tastes, it has every right to be it's own beast that some will have a lot of fun with, even if one player sometimes gets crushed, mainly because they can start another game quickly. Or maybe even house-rule some stuff, as I'm considering.

OK. Now I'll get to the other angle of Hero Realms that you've all been very patient about. (Or at least most of you have been patient, except for that guy right there. Yeah. You know who you are.) Which is that Hero Realms, unlike Star Realms, has a broader scope for the future. Yes, like Star Realms, there are variants for more than 2 players. And let's not forget the big push coming is campaign mode, where 2 or more players play against the game. Or that a player can even play as a big bad boss against the others. It all sounds cool, right?

Only time will tell where this game shines brightest, and on those merits, maybe my rating will creep back up.


Image by n8biangel

So even though I wasn't behind the closed doors, in the meetings, or a play tester, I now have an inkling of what was decided, and that was Hero Realms isn't meant to shine as a competitive head-to-head game, and therefore balance issues for that particular mode took more of a back seat. Instead, a new system based on the Star Realms engine has been created which we don't fully see or understand yet, but can only speculate on. And so... and so...

*sniff* Just give me a minute please. Because, you know, it's not like *sniff* they hadn't mentioned all of that from the start. *blows nose* However, I admit to feeling a bit cheated. Because way back when, as I had combed through the kickstarter info and tried to process it all, I had found a particular sentence, saying what I think we all expected...

"For competitive players, Hero Realms launches with all of the deep strategy featured in Star Realms."

I'm sorry. *sniff* Again, please excuse me. *grabs tissue* Because that sentence is not actually what you will find in Hero Realms. So I'm a bit in mourning as I truly envisioned that head-to-head competitive play would be amazing. Because seriously -- how cool is it to have different and variable starting characters? It instantly makes the game more dynamic and unique, drawing in newbies and veterans alike. However, to make head-to-head work, tweaks that should have been made were apparently scrapped in order to enable Hero Realms to encompass more than what we're seeing so far. So while the future may show Hero Realms to be a great cooperative / campaign / RPG-like deck-building hybrid, I have to admit, that's not the main reason I bought it. And before you say I shouldn't have assumed that, I'll have to disagree, given the bread and butter of it's predecessor and lines like the above.

In the meantime, is it such a bad thing that I secretly hope the designers plan to reprint some cards and/or come up with some general "fix(es)" so I can get back on board with how I most want to play the game? So I will end up buying later exps as I had initially expected to? I mean, it's possible they'll do that, right?... Right?)

*sigh*

OK. Deep breath. I'm good now. Bottom line...

Yes, you can enjoy Hero Realms in competitive head-to-head with some fun thematic moments and asymmetrical starting decks/characters. At times, it works. But ultimately, that mode here is for more casual players. To those more like me, who enjoy a bit more control and a competitive angle, realize that while the taste of victory here can feel sweet, more often than you'll like to admit, it risks tasting sour. Still, if you love the game and/or are simply more eager for the newer stuff, then yell it loud and proud, as there's definitely fun to be had. I'll even play you. But please, don't be annoyed, if after a game where one of us crushes the other and/or we can see it's over halfway through, that I ask to play a different game.

Clicks submit to post this review, then walks out to the mailbox to see if the rest of Hero Realms has arrived...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to see someone else step up and say that it's not a balanced game. I did not enjoy it all myself and rated it a 5, "worthless without character packs" if you already have Star Realms.

I was not too found of Star Realms swingy turns and heavy emphasis on luck but finally came to terms with it. Hero Realms did the same, but only worse.

I feared that the Ruby card would ruin the balance and it does.

Thank you for being vocal about it. Hero Realms is a disappointment. I hope the Campaign is good. If it's not, I'll get rid of it. In the meantime, it gathers dust.

Oh, and Tibus is awful. Impossible to beat without the character packs, boring with them. Survive the first five turns and you've won. Meh.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaos Kamoudis
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
what is balance in a deck building game?

You make the choices what card to buy and "when to buy"

If you just buying cards to make a huge pile of a drawing deck then you gona lose for sure.
If you just buying cards without synergy then you gona lose again.
Also each heroe have his type of strategy to make him shine.

Yes the cards that will make the market is random but just like jaipur do you want to take a card just to open a good card for you enemy or leave that move for him to make the open for you.

choices choices choices...
14 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kounabi22 wrote:
what is balance in a deck building game?


It's making sure each player has equal chances regardless of what their opening hand is and what card they have access to?

The main problem with that kind of deckbuilder is that the better your starting hand or purchase is, the more likely you are to win the game.

A good start snowballs you into crazy combos and the other player can't. come. back.

And that's not fun for them which makes it not fun for me.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
kounabi22 wrote:
what is balance in a deck building game?


It's making sure each player has equal chances regardless of what their opening hand is and what card they have access to?

The main problem with that kind of deckbuilder is that the better your starting hand or purchase is, the more likely you are to win the game.

A good start snowballs you into crazy combos and the other player can't. come. back.

And that's not fun for them which makes it not fun for me.


I want a good start to snowball. That and crazy combos are the fun part of the game. In a game with equal decks, the last shuffle decides the game and that's way worse. You just need to see that the game is about who can escalate their decks more.
Now granted, in HR the addition of 2 gold starting cards introduces bigger swings of luck, and destroys the great resource curve of SR for me too.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped reading the OP when it all became a bit waffling, so maybe you mentioned this, but...

I suspect the reason for the difference is the coming campaign mode expansion.

I have a feeling we're going to need all the attack and healing power can lay our hands on.

And we'll still end up broken shells of our former selves at the end of almost every damn game.

Or, at least, I hope that's the case...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wallwaster wrote:
I want a good start to snowball. That and crazy combos are the fun part of the game. In a game with equal decks, the last shuffle decides the game and that's way worse. You just need to see that the game is about who can escalate their decks more.
Now granted, in HR the addition of 2 gold starting cards introduces bigger swings of luck, and destroys the great resource curve of SR for me too.


I want that too, but in a solitaire game. In a head-to-head game, I want to control most of the game, and my opponent. Put that on account of my past life as a M:tG player if you will

I'm perfectly fine with Ascension against the AI, for instance, but I HATE that game against a real opponent, because of the incredible luck swings.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it amusing that someone can really like either Star Realms or Hero Realms but not the other or even Ascension for that matter. The idea that everyone has equal access to the same power of cards can only come if the same cards are actually available for purchase to each player each turn or if all the card that come up in the constantly changing row of cards all have the same strength. In terms of balance and competitive fairness that is why Dominion will always rule over all three of those games and even Legendary for that matter.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I find it amusing that someone can really like either Star Realms or Hero Realms but not the other or even Ascension for that matter. The idea that everyone has equal access to the same power of cards can only come if the same cards are actually available for purchase to each player each turn or if all the card that come up in the constantly changing row of cards all have the same strength. In terms of balance and competitive fairness that is why Dominion will always rule over all three of those games and even Legendary for that matter.


In other words, "Dominion style" DBGs are strategy games, "Ascension style" DBGs are tactical games.

I've read somewhere that even the best players in Star Realms only have a 60%:40% win rate. It's minute details that make a difference, and sometimes it just doesn't work out no matter how good you are.

I wonder if there even is a way to change this in Hero Realms, Star Realms or Ascension without making the games uniform and boring.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I find it amusing that someone can really like either Star Realms or Hero Realms but not the other or even Ascension for that matter. The idea that everyone has equal access to the same power of cards can only come if the same cards are actually available for purchase to each player each turn or if all the card that come up in the constantly changing row of cards all have the same strength. In terms of balance and competitive fairness that is why Dominion will always rule over all three of those games and even Legendary for that matter.


Only Aeon's End can be fair!

But it's a co-op.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
deeth82 wrote:
Some folks have suggested a variant where you have a trade row above the regular trade row, and that row can't be purchased from until you buy from the lower trade row, thus "dropping" cards into place to purchase them.

Valley of the Kings does this with its thematic pyramid...you can only buy cards from the base of the pyramid, unless a card effect allows otherwise, so it adds a layer of strategy (somewhat) to deciding whether or not you'll buy a card simply to drop another into the trade row...what if you drop that card, but have to wait one turn to buy it, and that gives your opponent a chance to buy/banish/sacrifice/scrap that card before your next turn?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried this concept with Hero Realms/Star Realms...some Ascension players really seem to like it.


I haven't played it in the realms games but I did in Ascension with 3 center rows (4 cards each). The bottom one has normal costs, the middle one is everything costs +1, and the upper one everything costs +2. I enjoyed it.

But I don't think it would play will in the Realms game. It works for Ascension because you won't get stuck with a CR full of monsters or without a single one. You don't have that problem in the Realms game. Giving more option to the player who has the best economy doesn't seem fair.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Scorpion0x17 wrote:
I stopped reading the OP when it all became a bit waffling, so maybe you mentioned this, but...

I suspect the reason for the difference is the coming campaign mode expansion.


I did indeed. It's a key aspect of the review in understanding why they must have gone this direction... but sorry I couldn't provide any syrup with those waffles.



As for balance in Star Realms, what it means, etc, I'm just saying what I said in the first paragraph -- for this style of game, Star Realms does it better than any other, and I'll leave it at that. It doesn't mean there's no luck or possible swings, which are inevitable. But I enjoy those aspects too. After all, if I wanted uber-competitive, I'd play chess instead.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual of Orange Nebula
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know is Star Realms was always fast and breezy.

I am loving Hero Realms but we've had games take 30+ grueling minutes
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
kounabi22 wrote:
what is balance in a deck building game?


It's making sure each player has equal chances regardless of what their opening hand is and what card they have access to?

The main problem with that kind of deckbuilder is that the better your starting hand or purchase is, the more likely you are to win the game.

A good start snowballs you into crazy combos and the other player can't. come. back.

And that's not fun for them which makes it not fun for me.


Yup. My buddy and I are star realms fanatics, but playing through all the character decks in Hero Realms left us scratching our heads. Either one of us jumped ahead, or the other - and all that was left was the downswing of the headsman's axe so we could start another game.

I wanted HR to have a back and forth play - not a grinding end to an inevitable outcome that was sealed in the first 10 turns or so. We had one game where we both had healing, I knew he was going to win, he knew he was going to win, but getting there took 45 minutes of beating each other with blunt objects...

I haven't given up hope - but I have been let down so far...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I've played a ton of Star Realms and I suspected this might be the case but I hadn't played enough Hero Realms to get beyond purely anecdotal analysis. I'm not terribly let down as I did only pick up Hero Realms for the campaign, so hopefully that delivers.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played a ton of Hero Realms and no pvp games with characters (only early draft campaign), so I am by no means an expert. I agree with all of your facts and disagree with most of your conclusions.

I agree that most of the games I played ended up getting out of hand once a player got an advantage, but once that happened, the game was over quickly. It was a faster, more aggressive play style, just as advertised. It puts a greater emphasis on getting an early lead and does not have as many catch up mechanics. This makes the game more skill based, though among players of equal skill, one player can get an advantage via the trade row (so more luck than Star Realms in that case).

Though I have not played them much myself, the characters all seem to favor a distinct play style. If the trade row enables one play style over another, I could see how the game could be over during the setup. This will hurt competitive play, but so do Gambits playing Star Realms. You are free to not use them. Hero Realms is still a great PvP game without them.

Ultimately, I think that Hero Realms will not surpass Star Realms in pure competitive depth, and that is all right. They are very differently paced. SR is about slow, careful play and looking for small advantages. HR is about quickly getting an edge and trying to exploit it to win. White Wizard and the community at large is still behind SR and tournaments will still happen. Even if the PvP scene for HR fizzles out, it has much better PvE.

Having said that, I strongly suspect that both of us are very wrong. Star Realms has been available online for a couple years. It has a healthy competitive following, strategy articles, and an awesome podcast. Hero Realms, on the other hand, is just getting started. There are a bit less than 5700 plays of it logged on BGG (for comparison, I have about 2700 plays of digital Star Realms and I know that high end players have much much more). I suspect that as more people play the game more (and the inevitable digital version is created), the community will develop a deeper understanding of HR and the strategy gap between the two games will close.

As a supporting example, playing the beta for digital Colony Wars, during the first week, players where getting Leviathans followed by Moonwurms and Emperor's Dreadnaughts (I think that the first game I played, I had all three ships and then some), but in recent play, the games have gotten much tighter. Games feel much closer than they are for the base game and even when I end up stomping my opponent, I am not sure of my win until the final deck.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
Just wanna comment, because that's what my itchy fingers do...

Hero realms is heavy on luck. SURE! To me, it's kinda like Lost cities. Of course, it's way better than lost cities because you have A LOT MORE CHOICES that can to a certain limited extent produce the results you want to see.

To me hero realms is one of those games where you enjoy drawing your 5 cards and smile to yourself as you think "MY DRAW IS AWESOME! When my opponent sees this he's just gonna cough out blood MUAHAHAHA".

So I think for your everyday player, you just gotta enjoy that aspect of luck of the draw (both market deck and your own deck).

And lastly, to really enjoy it, you just gotta let go of your defeat rather than over analyze it (this ain't a heavy strategy game!) Just yell at your opponent for getting lucky and play another round.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:
This will hurt competitive play, but so do Gambits playing Star Realms.


Unless you draft them! #draftthegambits
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wallwaster wrote:
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:
This will hurt competitive play, but so do Gambits playing Star Realms.


Unless you draft them! #draftthegambits


How many Gambits per player? I usually only give one, so drafting is not an option
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razoupaf wrote:
wallwaster wrote:
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:
This will hurt competitive play, but so do Gambits playing Star Realms.


Unless you draft them! #draftthegambits


How many Gambits per player? I usually only give one, so drafting is not an option

Deal out 4, I pick 1, you pick 2, I take the last one. No Wild Gambit.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
greylag wrote:
Deal out 4, I pick 1, you pick 2, I take the last one. No Wild Gambit.


Thanks

That's a lot of power. How does it feel in game? Swingy?
I thought you were supposed to have hidden information with those you only reveal when you choose to
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razoupaf wrote:
greylag wrote:
Deal out 4, I pick 1, you pick 2, I take the last one. No Wild Gambit.


Thanks

That's a lot of power. How does it feel in game? Swingy?
I thought you were supposed to have hidden information with those you only reveal when you choose to

That's the Cosmic Gambits - the 2nd gambit pack. This is the 1st pack, 2 x per player is also how they're used in the app. Honestly good players will often burn them both in the first couple turns for early pickups, it just onramps the game a lot faster. I don't like it competitively, I like it to change things up - I don't think it would hold up at a tournament level, especially a money tournament!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Hero Realms very much for what it is, and see no reason to complain about what it is not. I have other games to enjoy that are what Hero Realms is not.

I have played about 50 games of Hero Realms with my son. There were a few duds in there, but those were less enjoyable largely not because of the game but because of the players. 1-2 were because of the game. The game is not perfect. Just extremely good.

Hero Realms does offer a lot. Is it as competitively pure as Star Realms? Not in my opinion. But that is ok. I have Star Realms. No one said Hero Realms must be the same as Star Realms.

Most games we played came down to the last few turns and were not decided early. Even with the Character packs. Those few games where I did get trounced were no big deal. I was able to appreciate the wickedly fun combos my competitor pulled off, even if they were to my own demise.

Hero Realms offers a lot of excitement as cards get revealed, as you draw your hand in hopes of those yummy cards you bought last turn showing up, as some little deck manipulation trick paid off, as you pull off a excitingly fun combo you've been building towards all game.

The game's mechanics are solid.

There is no dominant strategy.

Sometimes the trade row hates you. Sometimes the trade row loves you. Sometimes all your good cards get bottom decked. But most times there is some tactic or card combo you can chase that keeps you in the game. And when your opponent has you down 77-2, and you mount that comeback, there is little in gaming that tops that feeling. Hero Realms has given my son and I that rush so many times it is like an addiction with us.

And so what if all goes for a poop and RNG hates you and your opponent is winning 100-1? Wait a couple minutes and play again. Oh yeah, that is right, Hero Realms is a fast game.

The game is certainly not a lot of things. But what it is is truly wonderful!
16 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
greylag wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
wallwaster wrote:
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:
This will hurt competitive play, but so do Gambits playing Star Realms.


Unless you draft them! #draftthegambits


How many Gambits per player? I usually only give one, so drafting is not an option

Deal out 4, I pick 1, you pick 2, I take the last one. No Wild Gambit.


We deal 5 so that even the last pick is a choice. I love me some choices
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I'm glad to see someone else step up and say that it's not a balanced game. I did not enjoy it all myself and rated it a 5, "worthless without character packs" if you already have Star Realms.

I was not too found of Star Realms swingy turns and heavy emphasis on luck but finally came to terms with it. Hero Realms did the same, but only worse.

I feared that the Ruby card would ruin the balance and it does.

Thank you for being vocal about it. Hero Realms is a disappointment. I hope the Campaign is good. If it's not, I'll get rid of it. In the meantime, it gathers dust.

Oh, and Tibus is awful. Impossible to beat without the character packs, boring with them. Survive the first five turns and you've won. Meh.


I actually have a completely different opinion. I only play solo, though, and I don't mind the luck issues that much, so for me there is no significant difference between Star Realms and Hero Realms in terms of gameplay.

What really makes Hero Realms shine for me its the way theme is much better implemented. By focusing on actions and characters, instead of ships and stations, the game not only feels more varied and evocative, but also makes a lot more sense (I can see someone performing different actions and allying with different people and creatures much easier than recruiting ships and stations from different factions).

I also really like Tibus (though I usually give him 60 starting health, instead of the official 40 when I use a character pack), I think it plays so much better than Star Realms solo challenges.

Though I originally intended to keep Star Realms (as I like the art and Science Fiction setting, even if it is not as well realized) so far I have felt so little interest in playing it again, that I might trade it or give it to a friend as a gift.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.