Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Wan't to understand Colonial One rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I have never seen the TV show, so I am not really relating to Colonial One. I looked up the WiKi, and have the general idea of what it is, and of course its function in the game.

Is it cruising in formation with BSG?

Are our cutouts being beamed on board by "Scotty"?

I play solo, and I am about to play my 2nd game of BSG, after about a year of discovering other boardgames. I have only been a board gamer for a year now.
So my reference to Scotty, just means I have forgotten a lot of the details on how to play this game.

So basically I want to feel comfortable with this seemingly, cozy little convenient hide away, while playing this game. Well that was the feeling I had about C One on my first game. And I wasn't comfortable with it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
It is actually cruising in formation with the other civilian ships, all of which are being protected by BSG.

Characters travel to and fro from BSG and C1 via Raptors. The discarding of a card during movement is meant to represent the travel.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Lambert
Belgium
Visé (Richelle)
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Most of the show, the Colonial One is part of the fleet cruising with the Galactica.

No beaming in this world. The Colonial One is abble to dock a shuttle and also to land inside the Galactica.

ninja

Best advice of the day : watch the show asap. It's great.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolo21 wrote:
Best advice of the day : watch the show asap. It's great.


Agreed. Even if you don't want to invest that time, try to watch the miniseries (a 3 hours pilot of sorts, tells the story of the attack on the colonies) and episode one, "33". It condenses everything you need to feel emotional attachment to the game, and you'll feel the weight behind all your actions.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolo21 wrote:
Most of the show, the Colonial One is part of the fleet cruising with the Galactica.

No beaming in this world. The Colonial One is abble to dock a shuttle and also to land inside the Galactica.

ninja

Best advice of the day : watch the show asap. It's great.
For that matter, they ARE doing the following, despite not having in-game activities for those: Sleeping, eating, training, frakking, and using the facilities

Also, no deflector shields, nor lasers either (unlike I'm told with the 80s/70s TV series)

Phil Goodroll wrote:
I play solo, and I am about to play my 2nd game of BSG, after about a year of discovering other boardgames. I have only been a board gamer for a year now.
So my reference to Scotty, just means I have forgotten a lot of the details on how to play this game.
Curious, do you use the FFG variant? If you have your own, would you care to share it? I stopped playing solo bg, but if you caught me years ago, this is one game I would've liked to revisit for solo play. The mechanics are solid, which to me was at least half the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Goodroll wrote:
I have never seen the TV show, so I am not really relating to Colonial One.


tbh some of my friends have this problem, too
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Curious, do you use the FFG variant? If you have your own, would you care to share it? I stopped playing solo bg, but if you caught me years ago, this is one game I would've liked to revisit for solo play. The mechanics are solid, which to me was at least half the game.


No idea. I just have the original board game box and no expansions.
Is FFG a computer program?



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
markino wrote:
It is actually cruising in formation with the other civilian ships, all of which are being protected by BSG.

Characters travel to and fro from BSG and C1 via Raptors. The discarding of a card during movement is meant to represent the travel.


C1 never comes under attack in the original box game though, does it?
Shouldn't it come under attack though?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Goodroll wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Curious, do you use the FFG variant? If you have your own, would you care to share it? I stopped playing solo bg, but if you caught me years ago, this is one game I would've liked to revisit for solo play. The mechanics are solid, which to me was at least half the game.


No idea. I just have the original board game box and no expansions.
Is FFG a computer program?





FFG is Fantasy Flight Games, the publisher. They put out an official solo variant here:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Battle...

Phil Goodroll wrote:
markino wrote:
It is actually cruising in formation with the other civilian ships, all of which are being protected by BSG.

Characters travel to and fro from BSG and C1 via Raptors. The discarding of a card during movement is meant to represent the travel.


C1 never comes under attack in the original box game though, does it?
Shouldn't it come under attack though?


C1 only is attacked using the SuperCrisis "Bomb on Colonial One", there is no other way to attack it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
Phil Goodroll wrote:
[q="ackmondual"]
Curious, do you use the FFG variant? If you have your own, would you care to share it? I stopped playing solo bg, but if you caught me years ago, this is one game I would've liked to revisit for solo play. The mechanics are solid, which to me was at least half the game.


No idea. I just have the original board game box and no expansions.
Is FFG a computer program?


FFG is Fantasy Flight Games, the publisher. They put out an official solo variant here:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Battle...

My first game was using a solo variant from this forums variants section.
I am now playing a Fully Cooperative Game. Six character,no sympathizer or cylon.

What did ackmondual mean by "would you care to share it?"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he just meant that if you had a solo variant you made up yourself, he would love to hear about it so he could maybe try it out himself.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Goodroll wrote:
markino wrote:
It is actually cruising in formation with the other civilian ships, all of which are being protected by BSG.

Characters travel to and fro from BSG and C1 via Raptors. The discarding of a card during movement is meant to represent the travel.


C1 never comes under attack in the original box game though, does it?
Shouldn't it come under attack though?
It's been a while since I've seen the TV series, so I can't recall exactly what happened in there.


In the game, there is the Bomb On Colonial One super crisis card that does destroy it. I don't think it was ever worth it for the Cylons to go directly after C1, as taking out Galactica first would mean all the other civilian ships would be sitting ducks


MIDEDIT: Oh, are you talking about another version of the game? Like the one that's based off the 70s/80s version of the TV show? You said "original game"? If so, then no comment, as I haven't seen that
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Goodroll wrote:
C1 never comes under attack in the original box game though, does it?
Shouldn't it come under attack though?


C1 is actually a small ship (sized like one of our airplanes), most civilian ships are bigger than it is. It usually stays in range of the galactica and could actually dock within one of the galactica flight pods if in need, so there's no specific danger of it being attacked and defenseless.

Its representation on the board is bigger because it plays a big role in the series, and you need some space to put several locations on top of the graphic
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.