Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Mindthief with only one augment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So our Mindthief does not like switching between different augments during a game, and prefers just choosing one and going for it. Seems to work so far, but how viable is this in general? Right now he chooses the +2 health augment if we have no tank, and the +2 damage one if we do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kameron
msg tools
My wife pretty much exclusively uses +2 damage.

I have read elsewhere on the forums that this is relatively standard.

I think it would be cooler if there was more incentive to change augments during the game, but hey, can't have everything perfect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the "+2 damages" exclusively until it retires at level 4: the other augment cards were always left behind in order to get the upper level cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The other augments are a good way to get XP IMO, each one gives you 1 XP without losing the card. Other than that though, there's not a strong reason to have more than 1 or 2 in your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We are gonna go Mindthief+Scoundrel+Tinkerer today. Is the +2 damage still viable, or should we go for the +2 heal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
lordsummerisle wrote:
We are gonna go Mindthief+Scoundrel+Tinkerer today. Is the +2 damage still viable, or should we go for the +2 heal?

+2 damage is always viable. You'll rarely build your strategy around any of the other augments until higher levels,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
when you can have two active at once

so +2 is going to be the standard for most scenarios. The other augments do have their uses - +shield can allow you to tank for a turn or two, if you need to, and an additional self-heal may come in handy (though it's likely not needed with a tinkerer in the group. In my experience, for MT the bottom half of the card is usually more important than the top, so keep an eye out for that - the other augments do have some really nice actions there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A A
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordsummerisle wrote:

That's my normal party makeup, and I always use the +2 damage. No real need for the heal with a Tinkerer in the party- though I do generally keep the "Move 2, Heal 2" card around for emergencies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coblackmagus wrote:
The other augments are a good way to get XP IMO, each one gives you 1 XP without losing the card. Other than that though, there's not a strong reason to have more than 1 or 2 in your deck.

Yeah, but pretty much every card in the Mind Thief deck can generate XP. You are better off with those cards for tactical diversity if nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordsummerisle wrote:

Honestly, this sounds like a pretty delicate party. Of course, you could have leveled them up in such a way that this isn't the case, or picked up really good gear that offsets their low hp.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't go with this party. I'd swap the MT for a Brute or Cragheart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an augment active, and you play another card with an augment on it, can you choose to have the first augment remain active instead of the new one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Bellmore
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I read in this forum that you can choose not to do the augment part of the new card and keep your old one. I can't find where I read this so and it's not in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
DarkWolff wrote:
I believe I read in this forum that you can choose not to do the augment part of the new card and keep your old one. I can't find where I read this so and it's not in the FAQ.

Yes, Isaac confirmed this for me in a thread in which I asked that question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Bellmore
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
DarkWolff wrote:

Just found it too: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25055023#25055023
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Mononen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fizi wrote:
My wife pretty much exclusively uses +2 damage.

I have read elsewhere on the forums that this is relatively standard.

I think it would be cooler if there was more incentive to change augments during the game, but hey, can't have everything perfect!

I'm now level 5 and 95% of the time I use +2 Damage augment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkWolff wrote:
mournful wrote:
DarkWolff wrote:

Just found it too: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25055023#25055023

I was originally confused about this. I had interpreted the "When another Augment..." phrase to refer to another Augment card. But I now see that the correct interpretation is "When another Augment portion of a card...". Thanks for clearing that up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our mindthief switches between +2 attack and Shells 1. Not only do both cards have a sweet bottom ability, he deals damage until the Cragheart needs to take a break from tanking. Because his initiative is very fast, it's easy for him to force the monsters to focus him down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrushU wrote:
Our mindthief switches between +2 attack and Shells 1. Not only do both cards have a sweet bottom ability, he deals damage until the Cragheart needs to take a break from tanking. Because his initiative is very fast, it's easy for him to force the monsters to focus him down.

I use the rat swarm for that purpose: it can tank 6 damages and still deal poison if it survives one turn. My mind thief is always too busy to be the one tanking...

The +2 attack augment is just too awesome. It turns any card in a "4" attack. And his deck can easily become deadly with a few blesses if you took all the perks taking bad cards away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a level 5 MT. I mostly use the +2 attack, but I pull it back into my deck for every short or long rest. It gives me another card to play each long rest, allowing me to go longer before becoming exhausted. And since as others mentioned you get +1 xp each time you play it, you get more xp as well. After I realized this, I felt really silly just playing it at the beginning of the scenario and leaving it there. It was basically like losing a card on the first turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd T
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had decent success between switching between the +2 attack versus +2 heal. I get an XP plus can bring in the heal later when I'm more likely to need it. And like others have said, I often opt to add back to my hand the active augment to prolong my chances for exhaustion. Worst case is that new card I brought back would allow me to skip an entire attack worth of damage. I may swap out the Shield 1, though. Right now it's too hard to tank with the low HP even if I suffer one less damage. I'd rather gain +2 melee attack and kill the guys versus prolong my life if I can avoid it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Arthur
msg tools
I don't get how this works. I understand the bonus xp, but why are you gaining a card from going exhausted. Your still going to discard a card. And probably reapply the augment. Can you explain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xMagicx1214 wrote:
I don't get how this works. I understand the bonus xp, but why are you gaining a card from going exhausted. Your still going to discard a card. And probably reapply the augment. Can you explain?

For example, if you have 4 cards in your discard, one active augment, and no cards in your hand, picking up the augment card when you rest would allow you to play two rounds instead of one. Consequentially, you end up lasting longer than you would have if you didn't pick up the augment card.

Edit: Typo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Arthur
msg tools
Got you. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use the +2 and abuse abilities like stun and invisible. This makes the game very easy for us. With 20+ plays in I am level 6 now and I only use one upgrade from a higher level because the base deck is very good.
This makes the game boring of course and since I can never retire wthout starting to grind the sewer level I will propably stop playing gloomhaven and play something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd T
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amanwing wrote:
I only use the +2 and abuse abilities like stun and invisible. This makes the game very easy for us. With 20+ plays in I am level 6 now and I only use one upgrade from a higher level because the base deck is very good.
This makes the game boring of course and since I can never retire wthout starting to grind the sewer level I will propably stop playing gloomhaven and play something else.

If you haven't seen it, check the Official Second Printing Change Log:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1761512/official-second-pri...

It may reduce some of the requirements to retire, depending on your Mindthief's Personal Quest goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A A
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
lordsummerisle wrote:

Honestly, this sounds like a pretty delicate party. Of course, you could have leveled them up in such a way that this isn't the case, or picked up really good gear that offsets their low hp.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't go with this party. I'd swap the MT for a Brute or Cragheart.

It was my starting party, and we did just fine. Between the high initiative, high mobility, and high damage output of the scoundrel and mindthief (taking out key monsters before their turns) and the status effects the mindthief can lay down, we were generally able to avoid taking much damage in the first place. With a Tinkerer to back us up with some healing when necessary (plus AoEs, buffs, and card shenanigans) it never mattered that we had low hit points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.