Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I wonder if anyone is using Allies of the Old West and can share his experience:
- Are you using Advanced or Basic variants?
- Do they really add something interesting to gameplay?

I'm a bit overwhelmed with received enemy expansions, Allies, Frontier town, Caverns of Cynder (both boxes are even not opened yet) and don't know what to do at first:
- Paint all alt gender heroes (have finished painting of all 12 main heroes)
- Paint all enemies
- Postpone any painting, and just open and play with new expansions
- Postpone Cynder and Frontier expansions and just play with new enemies

oh, too much choices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allies are definitely useful. Basic Allies use no models, but give extra abilities to their owners. Henchmen can be discarded to stop a Darkness card, add to an Ability roll, or absorb damage. The mule carries five weight and five tokens, the dog aids Scavaging and may redraw an Exploration token. The blacksmith allows for combat re-rolls and +2 Damage to a hit if you discard Dark Stone. These have the advantage that they cannot be killed, but must be paid for each adventure.

Advanced Allies have models and are worth 1/3 of a hero for posse size. They act as minor heroes, can carry weight and tokens, fight, and have health and sanity, but tend to die a lot. If the hiring hero is Level 5 veteran Allies can be hired with double health/sanity, but at double cost. For an extra fee you can have a Rancher, Outlaw, Bandido Ally, etc with some of their abilities, so the Bandido gets two dynamite tokens, and the Rancher gets a free bandage token and a hunting rifle. Advanced Allies can mutate and upgrade, and can be hired for life, or rehired in town, thus keeping their upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pack Mule makes the game easier - I feel like it should count as a whole other Heroes' worth of Party Level contribution by itself (instead of just following the "Every 3 Allies adds 1 to the Posse Level" rule). It carries a zillion anvils and side-bag tokens, and is basically impossible to kill. You do have to do some planning around its positioning because it moves very slowly, and it can be frustrating if you end up on a sans-Mule tile with loot you can't carry because you outran it. This can slow the posse down, thus making the Darkness a little more dangerous but honestly, it's a super-tanky fur-bag with the carrying strength of 3-4 Heroes so it's totally worth it and then some.

The rest of the Allies are hilariously amusing liabilities - and I mean this in a good way. The Faithful Dog and the Blacksmith can hold their own in a Fight if you pay attention to them (and their buffs/utility are awesome), but the Henchmen are just accidents waiting to happen. It's only a matter of time before they get crushed, blown-up, and/or eaten. And it's always funny when it happens. Keeping them alive is hella challenging, so it gives your high-level OP Heroes something extra to strive for. "Kill this 20-ton hell-beast? No problem! Break this 10,000 year Curse? Easy-peasy! Keep Jeb Glassbones alive? May God have mercy on us all."

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip,

Thank you for detailed answers.
I have cards, miniatures and the rules. I'm more interested in personal experience and opinion about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jee,

Thanks. It seems that Allies really add a lot of fun. I will definitely give them the chance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yury1975 wrote:
Philip,

I have cards, miniatures and the rules.

I don't. I'm one of the poor saps that's going to have to wait until August to receive their Minecart pledge, so this was good information to know. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
yury1975 wrote:
Philip,

I have cards, miniatures and the rules.

I don't. I'm one of the poor saps that's going to have to wait until August to receive their Minecart pledge, so this was good information to know. Thanks.

It definitely hurts and I fully understand your feelings.
I'm sure that sooner or later all backers will recieve their pledges.
But there is also a bright piece for you, your Minecart box will be much bigger than my Outlaw. You will have stuff to make you busy for next few years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
The Pack Mule makes the game easier - I feel like it should count as a whole other Heroes' worth of Party Level contribution by itself (instead of just following the "Every 3 Allies adds 1 to the Posse Level" rule). It carries a zillion anvils and side-bag tokens, and is basically impossible to kill. You do have to do some planning around its positioning because it moves very slowly, and it can be frustrating if you end up on a sans-Mule tile with loot you can't carry because you outran it. This can slow the posse down, thus making the Darkness a little more dangerous but honestly, it's a super-tanky fur-bag with the carrying strength of 3-4 Heroes so it's totally worth it and then some.

The rest of the Allies are hilariously amusing liabilities - and I mean this in a good way. The Faithful Dog and the Blacksmith can hold their own in a Fight if you pay attention them (and their buffs/utility are awesome), but the Henchmen are just accidents waiting to happen. It's only a matter of time before they get crushed, blown-up, and/or eaten. And it's always funny when it happens. Keeping them alive is hella challenging, so it gives your high-level OP Heroes something extra to strive for. "Kill this 20-ton hell-beast? No problem! Break this 10,000 year Curse? Easy-peasy! Keep Jeb Glassbones alive? May God have mercy on us all."

- Jee

If you keep Heroes on the joins between map tiles they can toss weights from Hero to Hero, unto the last one can chuck something onto the mule. Of course, the same item should not be passed along, so a spare pistol is given to one hero, who gives his hat to another, who then stacks his boots on the mule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yury1975 wrote:
Hi,

I wonder if anyone is using Allies of the Old West and can share his experience:
- Are you using Advanced or Basic variants?
- Do they really add something interesting to gameplay?

I'm a bit overwhelmed with received enemy expansions, Allies, Frontier town, Caverns of Cynder (both boxes are even not opened yet) and don't know what to do at first:
- Paint all alt gender heroes (have finished painting of all 12 main heroes)
- Paint all enemies
- Postpone any painting, and just open and play with new expansions
- Postpone Cynder and Frontier expansions and just play with new enemies

oh, too much choices

I vote for postponing painting and playing. I've been very slowly painting my stuff, and routinely play with a mix of painted and unpainted stuff. Sometimes I even use just primed or partially painted pieces in a game (or just re-draw the threat card, if applicable). And playing might help you decide which minis to prioritize painting.

We haven't really gotten around to buying allies yet, but we have found several as loot. They've been useful while we had them, and many/most have died. We almost always take the advanced variant so they can fight. They tend to die more in combat than from trying to cancel a card, but for our lower level posses, that's totally OK - it was 1-2 less monsters attacking the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Jelley wrote:
Inspector Jee wrote:

The rest of the Allies are hilariously amusing liabilities - and I mean this in a good way. The Faithful Dog and the Blacksmith can hold their own in a Fight if you pay attention them (and their buffs/utility are awesome), but the Henchmen are just accidents waiting to happen. It's only a matter of time before they get crushed, blown-up, and/or eaten. And it's always funny when it happens. Keeping them alive is hella challenging, so it gives your high-level OP Heroes something extra to strive for. "Kill this 20-ton hell-beast? No problem! Break this 10,000 year Curse? Easy-peasy! Keep Jeb Glassbones alive? May God have mercy on us all."

- Jee

If you keep Heroes on the joins between map tiles they can toss weights from Hero to Hero, unto the last one can chuck something onto the mule. Of course, the same item should not be passed along, so a spare pistol is given to one hero, who gives his hat to another, who then stacks his boots on the mule.

Yeah, this is a good plan. There's nothing wrong with passing the same item along multiple times tho. The rules just state that Heroes can't use the same item more than once per Turn. There's no restriction on how many hands it can pass through.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marco pacchiarini
Italy
pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can this be found at retail anywhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:

- Jee

They also mutate in funny ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Gray
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Look out for falling rocks !!!
I tried to use the advanced saloon girl and the first adventure she didn't make it past the first tile and about half way through the second , the 3rd one she made it to the last fight . it seams that every time it was falling rocks , the shock and amazement was great , how could this be , killed 3 times by falling rocks. Guess she's not use to looking up .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:

- Jee

You could use this in the Escape mission, replacing the reward with 50XP and D6x $100 per hero for each henchman that survives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Using advanced.
But I may use the basic versions for my kids, since you can mix and match based on players comfort and that you can only have 8 models in a posse.

(Though I broke this rule once, just for fun.)

Used a 2 Hero team, brought 3 henchmen.
3rd tile in was a Void Lair.
Void Spiders devoured 2 of the Henchmen in an ambush.
Then got Void Spider Ambush on the next tile, and lost the 3rd henchman, before finding a portal to Trederra, just to get out of that spider infested mine.

Fun for me.
Sucked for the Henchmen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
"Kill this 20-ton hell-beast? No problem! Break this 10,000 year Curse? Easy-peasy! Keep Jeb Glassbones alive? May God have mercy on us all."

I am naming my next hero Jeb Glasbones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one of the best Henchmen are the Ranch hands, especially when choosing a veteran. They have good health and sanity and a decent weapon and bandages. Of course they can be prone to running away (or maybe I'm just prone to shifty eyes..). Sometimes though you just wish for that extra that will draw fire for a turn or so and these allys do nicely. Once they get a few upgrades they do get a little more difficult to lose. Damn those shifty eyes.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cottondonkey wrote:

Used a 2 Hero team, brought 3 henchmen.
3rd tile in was a Void Lair.
Void Spiders devoured 2 of the Henchmen in an ambush.
Then got Void Spider Ambush on the next tile, and lost the 3rd henchman, before finding a portal to Trederra, just to get out of that spider infested mine.

Fun for me.
Sucked for the Henchmen

I can't help thinking that going from a Void Spider-infested Mine to Trederra is jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.