3 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Player start position timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I saw a rules summary that indicated players get to choose their start position as the very last thing that happens before play starts.

I understand that because of the "during setup" phrase on page 13 of the rules, all map tiles and doors should be placed on the table, but all map tiles will be empty besides the first room.

However, here is my somewhat silly question: Has it been confirmed that players choose starting positions AFTER the first room's monsters are revealed? The rules on page 13 state that monsters in the first room are placed "at the beginning of a scenario", and players can choose to place their figures on any empty start position hex "at the start of the scenario".

"beginning" and "start" seem pretty synonymous to me, though I assume players get final choice. I just wondered if this was confirmed since I couldn't find it explicitly spelled out in the rules, FAQ, or any threads through search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured you populate the first room and then choose where your characters go. Seems to be part of the player choices and tactics. Randomly putting characters in there first leaves little decision making.

Also in other rooms, the monsters are revealed before characters have to decide where they will move to in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
I figured you populate the first room and then choose where your characters go. Seems to be part of the player choices and tactics. Randomly putting characters in there first leaves little decision making.

Also in other rooms, the monsters are revealed before characters have to decide where they will move to in there.

That makes the most sense -- I just couldn't find any source for this ruling, either in rules or in a post by Isaac. The only source I found was in an unofficial setup walkthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.