Marcin Olempa
Poland
Sosnowiec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have got question about routes, it is not clear for me.
Instruction said that it is allowed, but some messages on this forum suggest something different.
Can I make route that join 2 off board destination and can it be this same off board destination? Like on this image:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Running Trains
20.1 Routes
A route is a length of track joining 2 or more cities. It must be continuous and it must not involve reversing across junctions, changing track at cross-overs, or traveling the same track section twice. A route that enters a city down one line may, however, leave along any other line. A route may begin or end at any city. The ”arrows” at which track enters the red hexagons may also form the start or finish of a route (or both if different red hexagons are involved) but these red sections may not form part of the middle of a route (i.e., they cannot be run through).

I think 1889 uses 1830 rules for route laying. The underlined section above from the Avalon Hill 1830 rules states that you can't both start and finish a route from the same red hex.

Edit - the 1889 rules (8.1b) state "a valid route can include off board destinations as the beginning or end of the route, or both."

The proviso from the 1830 rules doesn't appear, so I think that means your route is valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The rules also don't prohibit running a train through the same city multiple times.

It's generally accepted that these differences from 1830 are errors in the rulebook, not intentional design choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
8.3 says that you count up the value of the locations, so even if it were possible to double hit the off-board (my reading of the rules as written), it wouldn't increase the dividend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
BennyD wrote:
The rules also don't prohibit running a train through the same city multiple times.

It's generally accepted that these differences from 1830 are errors in the rulebook, not intentional design choices.

Here's an official response confirming your note.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/5363443#5363443

It would be helpful to rename this thread something like "Is it allowed to for a route to run to the same red off-board twice?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Olempa
Poland
Sosnowiec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for quick reply. It's look that our first game was little crazy - the income for this off board route was counted twice every time . We will play soon with the correct rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for confirmation that while a single 3 train couldn't run the illustrated route, two two trains could each run from the token up to the city on each different leg of the route, thus resulting in 100 yen income in dividends, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannister wrote:
I'm looking for confirmation that while a single 3 train couldn't run the illustrated route, two two trains could each run from the token up to the city on each different leg of the route, thus resulting in 100 yen income in dividends, correct?

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.