Rising Sun» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: Stretchgoals availablie "in all Core boxes" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Maritn
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm new to kickstarter and was wondering what exactly the stretchgoals described with "upgraded [...] in all Core boxes" mean. Do also the retail version benefit from these upgrades, as they are not marked with "kickstarter exclusive"?

Looking at the Blood Rage kickstarter page, the extra sculpts are not marked as being exclusive, but AFAIK they are not included in the retail version, aren't they? (I do not own BR)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Core box means retail version.

Anything labelled with the giant "kickstarter exclusive" logo won't be available at a retail level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Retailers have the option to back this campaign, and those who do will be able to sell the KS version for $100. Those that don't will carry a version without the KS exclusives like Mark said.

If CMON holds to their current policy, those exclusives will not be available anywhere but the 2nd hand market after the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Head like an orange
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Retailers have the option to back this campaign, and those who do will be able to sell the KS version for $100. Those that don't will carry a version without the KS exclusives like Mark said.

If CMON holds to their current policy, those exclusives will not be available anywhere but the 2nd hand market after the campaign.

Jason, what will the MSRP at retail be you think? Is backing via KS "cheaper" (given that you don't get add-ons) than retail and how much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaffawahha wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Jason, what will the MSRP at retail be you think? Is backing via KS "cheaper" (given that you don't get add-ons) than retail and how much?

Best way to guess is to see what happened with blood rage. Generally any kickstarter game will be quite a bit cheaper at retail if you can find it discounted. They just don't come with the exclusives. It's up to you whether you think those are worth it. Remember, your KS is RRP+Postage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaffawahha wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

KS price is generally MSRP. But retailers sell them at discount so they tend to be cheaper afterwards.
So for this loss (and likely more expensive shipping) and to drive KS traffic you get KS extras here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra sculpts in Blood Rage were present in the retail version, by the by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hausig
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CMON follows a pattern with their campaigns where there are three classes of stretch goals. There are core stretch goals that get added to the retail package, KSE's that are only available to backers and complimentary expansions or addons that get included in the KS pledge but must be bought separately at retail. Typically, the KS pledge will end up covering more than the retail cost of the base games and any complimentary expansions.

CMON also typically offers epansions that are not included with the base pledge and must be purchased separately. Often, these are KSE expansions so there is no retail release and the secondary market price will be much higher. These are usually not stretch goals but are rolled out over the course of the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth noting that CMON games tend to only get a 20% discount at retail when they first come out (as opposed to 30% for most other games). If you want the really steep discounts, you might have to wait a while.

Also, with a few exceptions, backers tend to get the retail expansions much earlier than retail buyers.

What it really comes down to is whether or not you are comfortable with reselling items in your country. Because a CMON KS may cost extra up front, but you can either keep the many extras and exclusives or you can resell them and keep the core game for yourself. You will almost certainly make back anything extra you paid on KS (plus some) and you still have a core game for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Head like an orange
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
It's also worth noting that CMON games tend to only get a 20% discount at retail when they first come out (as opposed to 30% for most other games). If you want the really steep discounts, you might have to wait a while.

Also, with a few exceptions, backers tend to get the retail expansions much earlier than retail buyers.

What it really comes down to is whether or not you are comfortable with reselling items in your country. Because a CMON KS may cost extra up front, but you can either keep the many extras and exclusives or you can resell them and keep the core game for yourself. You will almost certainly make back anything extra you paid on KS (plus some) and you still have a core game for yourself.

How many of you do this type of backing. For example pledge for 2 and resell one of them or as James writes above? What are your opinions on that? I have thought about doing that but allways thought it was a bit of a hassle to do and the cost up-front is usually not that attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
jaffawahha wrote:
japester1 wrote:

How many of you do this type of backing. For example pledge for 2 and resell one of them or as James writes above? What are your opinions on that? I have thought about doing that but allways thought it was a bit of a hassle to do and the cost up-front is usually not that attractive.

Lots of people do buy multiple CMON games at kickstarter to resell later at ebay or the BGG marketplace. Check the Arcadia Quest: Inferno marketplace as an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done this on a couple of games. Sometimes it works out and I end up getting my game for free. Other times I just barely make my money back. It is an interesting game of speculation.

I suspect that Rising Sun will end up with at least three times as many backers as Blood Rage did. Because of this, I don't think the second hand market will be as lucrative as it was for Blood Rage. There will still be a profit to be had though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
jaffawahha wrote:

Retailers are contractually obligated to sell the KS version at $100.00. Most OLGS throw in free shipping at certain thresholds too so the retail KS version will be cheaper than what we are paying. Similarly, the retail (i.e. non-KS version) will most definitely be going for less that $100.00 (it doesnt contain the same plastic). My guess is that you will be able to get it at $55.00. Best indicator is to check out what you can get BR at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jaffawahha wrote:
Is backing via KS "cheaper" (given that you don't get add-ons) than retail and how much?

If you *only* want the base game, wait for a sale at retail, particularly if you don't have to pay shipping. You'll have to wait a long time, but you have plenty of other games to play. Expansions are much harder to find on sale, though. Take a look at Blood Rage's discounts on Miniature Market, I guess.

But if you want all the goodies, KS is "cheaper", in that eBay will be more expensive. Should be plenty of KS copies on the secondary market, but dunno if you'll get a better price than this KS plus shipping. For internationals, KS is usually cheaper than retail, but shipping can get expensive. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Head like an orange
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies.
All in all I would say that I'm in it for the KS exclusives to the core game. Add-ons will have to be exclusive and something that I feel will enhance gameplay or the game being immersive.

Cause I experienced getting BR second hand a while after the KS and then realizing that I would have loved the exclusives that are pretty impossible and OP to get now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.