Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- have some new friends, one of which is a big star trek (and star wars, almost as much) fan...basically a "sci-fi fan i guess
- they both enjoy gaming, but are probably (so far) mid-level gamers...as far as complexity goes
- my wife and i game all the time, so i'm looking for a sci-fi game that works with 4 people...and is fairly easy to learn
- any suggestions?

thanks...

(we have, and really enjoy, FireFly...probably my wife's favorite game...but that might be a bit too long with 4)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keary Quigley
United States
Washington
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Easy game: Star Trek Panic. If you're looking for more game you could go up to Imperial Assault which is no more difficult than Descent. You could run a base game of X-wing to see if they can handle that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kearyq wrote:
Easy game: Star Trek Panic. If you're looking for more game you could go up to Imperial Assault which is no more difficult than Descent. You could run a base game of X-wing to see if they can handle that.
i think we'd be looking more along the lines of a worker placement game, or even a pickup and deliver...or exploration

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For both franchises, the miniature games (X-wing, and attack wing), are both great games. But if your friends (or yourself) are not into minis, then there is not point in pursuing this avenue.

For Star Trek, I would say ST Catanis a good game, because it is mid-level, and for gamers, it is a familiar mechanism, whereas for Trekkies, it is a familiar theme. There is also the new ST Panic, which is exactly like Castle Panic, and should therefore be fun to play (although it is original ST). The other ST games have received mixed reviews, and most are well below the top 1000 games. The newish ST Frontiers is Mage Knight with ST theme, and is not recommended for 4 players, 2 of whom are mid-level players.

For Star Wars, Rebellion remains in the top 5 games of BGG, but that is a 2 player game. Imperial Assault, another excellent game, is a campaign game, so all of you would have to commit some time for it. The new Destiny game plays well and is fun, but again, is a 2 player game, and is a collectible format, which not everyone will enjoy. SW the Queen's gambit is apparently very good, but I think it is now OOP.

My two cents

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collins
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
CF Vapors - Alternative to Smoking
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try Xia: Legends of a Drift System

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Weber
United States
Mayfield Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Expeditions may be what you are looking for.

don't Rule our Star Trek Panic...the "panic" games are terrific co-op fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collins
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
CF Vapors - Alternative to Smoking
mbmbmbmbmb
Xia: Legends of a Drift System Also has a large support community - the game is very easy to house rule to match your play style or fix any "exploits" (and there are various complaints with vanilla play like the one described by Mike above). BGG forums and files are extremely helpful for this game.

I feel it's one of the best in it's genre because of the sandbox style and ability to easily house rule and alter to your playstyle.

Oh, and I give my opinion as a Trekkie and Star Wars Fan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Star Trek Five Year Mission cheap from Target and I've been pleasantly surprised by it. It's co-op, if that matters, and even though the box says it plays 3 -5. it also plays well at 2. Bonus pointS: You can choose to play original Trek or Next Gen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
kearyq wrote:
i think we'd be looking more along the lines of a worker placement game, or even a pickup and deliver...or exploration

While not exact, Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Original Series is a great thematic experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
John_VW wrote:
kearyq wrote:

While not exact, Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Original Series is a great thematic experience.

- i'll check this out, thanks
- now i already have ST: Ascendancy, but it's up for sale...game really doesn't work with 2 and max is 3 (why anyone would make a game that really only is designed for 3-players seems crazy to me...too bad, it might have been a good game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
guigtexas wrote:
SW the Queen's gambit is apparently very good, but I think it is now OOP.

It is, but Risk: Star Wars Edition isn't, and is very similar. Don't let the Risk branding scare you off. It's really more of a 2p game, but has a 4p variant.

John_VW wrote:

Galaxy Trucker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:

- now i already have ST: Ascendancy, but it's up for sale...game really doesn't work with 2 and max is 3 (why anyone would make a game that really only is designed for 3-players seems crazy to me...too bad, it might have been a good game)

Price point. The expansions for ST: Ascendency should be coming out soon, and they'll push it to 4-5 players. I'm looking forward to them, it might be worth hanging onto until they come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SnarksandBoojums wrote:
John_VW wrote:

Price point. The expansions for ST: Ascendency should be coming out soon, and they'll push it to 4-5 players. I'm looking forward to them, it might be worth hanging onto until they come out.
any idea when they're expected out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking for Trobils is a fantastic mid-level worker placement game that should be highly appealing to sci-fi fans. It's been out of print for a while, but it's new printing should be appearing in the next few months..

https://breakinggames.com/collections/check-out-our-hottest-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Ginger
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
SnarksandBoojums wrote:
John_VW wrote:

CoolStuffInc currently says Q1 2017. A Borg expansion has also been announced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Weber
United States
Mayfield Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
check out Among the Stars a very fun space station building game. While it's not an established IP like Star Trek Or Star Wars, it is quite a fun game for 2 players and more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Captain Is Dead is one of the best "almost Star Trek" cooperative games, and isn't too hard if you play on the easy difficulty level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gideon Stargrave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Tiny Epic Galaxies?

It's basically worker placement - you send your spaceships to uncolonized planets for various benefits. It features a 'generic' Sci-Fi theme, but it's probably closer to Star Trek with its focus on peaceful colonization via Economic and Political means, as opposed to the more combat-centric Galactic Civil War vibe of Star Wars.

It's one of my favorite sci-fi games, it feels a LOT bigger than it is [the box can fit in your pocket]. There is an expansion coming soon, but the base game should give you tons and tons of plays before you'd ever need to add the expansion.

EDIT to add: I'll second the recommendation for Risk: Star Wars Edition, it's a really fun game simulating the tri-front struggle at the end of Return of the Jedi. If you're in the US, you can get the deluxe 'Black Series' version of the game for under $25 on Amazon right now.

I'll also add a recommendation for Star Trek: Catan; sure, it's basically just regular Catan with a Star Trek theme pasted onto it, but that theme can really help get sci-fi fans into the game. It worked on me - I'd much rather play the Star Trek version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
The Captain Is Dead is one of the best "almost Star Trek" cooperative games, and isn't too hard if you play on the easy difficulty level.

I'm going to second this, and I'm glad that AEG is picking this up. It's very genre-savvy, even with things outside of Star Trek (like having a Janitor to shout-out to Space Quest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind hunting cards until the end of your days... whistle

...you could look into Star Trek Customizable Card Game (Second Edition). It has all of your favorite characters from all of the shows, and can take 2+ players, so it can handle 4 people with no problem. Unlike the first edition of the game, the second edition has been largely improved, balanced and streamlined. As an old school CCG, though, it does take some deck building beforehand, but many people agree that's a big part of the draw.

A Second Edition Combo Box is a legitimate, inexpensive, and excellent way to try out the game: http://www.wholesalegaming.biz/startrek2nded/treksecondediti...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I.M. Jeremic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Risk

it is not Risk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capnginger wrote:
John_VW wrote:
SnarksandBoojums wrote:
John_VW wrote:

CoolStuffInc currently says Q1 2017. A Borg expansion has also been announced.

Yeah, hang on to Ascendancy at least until the Cardassians and Ferengi show up. The Cardassians appear to be much like the base three and serves to up the player count, while the Ferengi seem like they will be a fundamentally different play style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Carter
United States
AURORA
Colorado
flag msg tools
I also would say Star Trek 5 year mission and the Star Trek Deck building games. For Star Wars, while the ad bsolute best is Star Wars Rebellion, there is Star Wars Pictopia, and I would think Imperial Assault might be considered mid level. Good luck, hope any of these help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Baker
United States
Circle Pines
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Hnaarr oorrawarr!
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i did order Star Trek: Fleet Captains (comes this week)...hope it's easy to teach...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.