Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
The Young Turks story of the latest WiliLeaks release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5RHqO1YBn0

The CIA can (probably) take control of your car with you in it and crash it into a bridge abutment at 100 miles an hour. At least certain computer containing cars. So, don't oppose the current Gov. if you drive one of these cars.

The CIA can use you Samsung TV as a bug even when it is off. Even if you don't have an internet connection. It has a built in wireless modum.

And other scary things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:

The CIA can (probably) take control of your car with you in it and crash it into a bridge abutment at 100 miles an hour. At least certain computer containing cars. So, don't oppose the current Gov. if you drive one of these cars.

The CIA can use you Samsung TV as a bug even when it is off. Even if you don't have an internet connection. It has a built in wireless modum.

And other scary things.

I'm starting a business that disconnects the microphones in smart devices. For an additional fee, I'll install a switch to restore power to the microphone for when you want to use it.

I'm gonna be rich!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:

And other scary things.

The funny thing is with that amount of noise it's almost impossible to isolate any particular thing.

I mean yeah, if they feel the need to spy on you particularly they've got you, but in general it becomes a white noise blur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The CIA duplicating what NSA does is an example of government waste that should be cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:

And other scary things.

The funny thing is with that amount of noise it's almost impossible to isolate any particular thing.

I mean yeah, if they feel the need to spy on you particularly they've got you, but in general it becomes a white noise blur.

I think expert systems are already powerful enough to reduce that noise enormously. And the systems only get better all the time. Plus if they retain the records, then if someone were to commit a crime that caught their eyes they could focus on that person's saved data.

However, for now they probably focus use on people they already suspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
I'm starting a business that disconnects the microphones in smart devices. For an additional fee, I'll install a switch to restore power to the microphone for when you want to use it.

I'm gonna be rich!
And if you don't give power to the CIA to remotely flip that switch they will put you out of business and leave you and your family penniless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

I think you're dramatically under-estimating the strength of analytic platforms these days. Particularly if you can cut out the noise using metadata. Keeping up with the storage demands is probably more challenging.

The only thing that could possibly surprise me is that people would be surprised that intelligence agencies had exploits like this in their back pocket. What do people think they do to gather intelligence in the information age?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:

And other scary things.

I don't think so. Taking just the TV, it's easy to subtract out the TV sound. Average household size is about 2.5; assuming the common husband, wife, and child, their voices should be easily distinguishable. Do you have any trouble distinguishing voices? Neither does my smartphone; I can unlock it by voice, and it's just a cheap little Snapdragon processor.

At retail one Cuda processor is pennies. So, 330M people in the US. Assume they each have ten devices CIA wants to monitor. Can the CIA afford a $330M one time cost? Out of pocket change.

The limit is how many things CIA can pay attention to. Unless they turn that over to AIs. "The AI assassinated someone? Damn, I hate when that happens!" (Goes back to shuffling papers.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.