Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: KS exclusive monsters just filler like BR KS? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Eut
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
What do you guys think of the KS exclusive monsters?
after reading all the descriptions they seem to be mostly based around coming back to life after battle, or being able to move to another province before/after battle.
These seems useful i guess, if not a bit boring.

I missed the the BR KS but bought the core box + mystics + 5th for $140 cad all in.
after reading the descriptions for the KS exclusive monsters I can not imagine missing those monsters at all.
after all my group rarely uses the BR monsters in the core box, except for the no cost ones.
The other core BR monsters seem useful upon first read as well, but the high cost to play them during a game makes them very hard to use with other high vp strategies successfully.

Just thinking these things to myself and wonder if anyone else thought the same when they saw the monsters.

The plastic tokens look super fun and tactile, but i will probably be able to buy rising sun for > $100 from 401 games in toronto, while the KS will probably cost me $150 - 160 cad: 100 USD for the pledge plus 10 - 20 (USD?) shipping.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Dads Podcast
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as they put HARAMBE in, I am good with everything else that that would be the best money I EVER spent.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pricklycactus wrote:
What do you guys think of the KS exclusive monsters?
after reading all the descriptions they seem to be mostly based around coming back to life after battle, or being able to move to another province before/after battle.
These seems useful i guess, if not a bit boring.

I missed the the BR KS but bought the core box + mystics + 5th for $140 cad all in.
after reading the descriptions for the KS exclusive monsters I can not imagine missing those monsters at all.
after all my group rarely uses the BR monsters in the core box, except for the no cost ones.
The other core BR monsters seem useful upon first read as well, but the high cost to play them during a game makes them very hard to use with other high vp strategies successfully.

Just thinking these things to myself and wonder if anyone else thought the same when they saw the monsters.

The plastic tokens look super fun and tactile, but i will probably be able to buy rising sun for > $100 from 401 games in toronto, while the KS will probably cost me $150 - 160 cad: 100 USD for the pledge plus 10 - 20 (USD?) shipping.


I guess it personal taste. We always play with everything. Gives the game more playability as you will have more variety of monsters that come out. Plus they look cool on the board.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The bottom line for me is, and I'll likely be saying this over and over for the next month, the Kickstarter is a Deluxe version of the game. It costs more, and you get more. I'm fine with the idea of a Deluxe edition of a board game. With as much as I enjoy Blood Rage, it was a no brainer for me to back Rising Sun in the first five minutes. For someone who doesn't care about the extras (and personally I think the cosmetic extras like the plastic flags are very nice), or is trying to save money - that person should wait a year and get it on a sale online for half the cost.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsters aside, there is a lot of KS exclusive game component improvements as well.

I agree on the BR KS monsters, meh. Nice to have not missed at all in our games.

But, they do keep piling on the component improvements, and I would love to have the Wild Boar clan. We often play 6 player BR (Fantastic, by the way) and use 2 copies of the Ram clan, one painted in purple ala the Wild Boars. But would be cool to have 6 different clans.

We are all expecting some KS exclusive clans for Rising Sun, and it would be harder to substitute with just paint as each clan has exclusive abilities.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more plastic dolls in the box- much like Blood Rage, as you say.

Still, I think that in the case of Blood Rage, the Kickstarter was a good deal if you wanted five players and the mystics expansions included. (to this day I have never played with Gods).

I expect that Rising Sun will have a sixth player expansion included in the Daimyo pledge that will save on retail cost, potentially, and probably a Kickstarter exclusive additional clan for variety (as in Blood Rage).

Blood Rage works perfectly well (perhaps even best) with the core box alone, and you can expect someone to be selling Rising Sun base boxes for $55-$60 USD within six months of release.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To get the 6th Player Rising Sun for "free" would be great, although I expect it will be an Add On that costs something. However, its all good.

Here in Brooklyn USA we play Blood Rage with everything, including the fan based variation where you rotate all six Norse god into each game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Cherry
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mroseksi wrote:
As long as they put HARAMBE in, I am good with everything else that that would be the best money I EVER spent.


I haven't backed yet, but I would do so instantly if they did this. A harambe Kickstarter exclusive would sell many copies I'm sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pricklycactus wrote:
What do you guys think of the KS exclusive monsters?
after reading all the descriptions they seem to be mostly based around coming back to life after battle, or being able to move to another province before/after battle.
These seems useful i guess, if not a bit boring.

I missed the the BR KS but bought the core box + mystics + 5th for $140 cad all in.
after reading the descriptions for the KS exclusive monsters I can not imagine missing those monsters at all.
after all my group rarely uses the BR monsters in the core box, except for the no cost ones.
The other core BR monsters seem useful upon first read as well, but the high cost to play them during a game makes them very hard to use with other high vp strategies successfully.

Just thinking these things to myself and wonder if anyone else thought the same when they saw the monsters.

The plastic tokens look super fun and tactile, but i will probably be able to buy rising sun for > $100 from 401 games in toronto, while the KS will probably cost me $150 - 160 cad: 100 USD for the pledge plus 10 - 20 (USD?) shipping.


This is my first time backing a CMON campaign, but I have a kickstarter copy of Blood Rage and all the monsters are a big part of the appeal.

So, looking at the Rising Sun monsters:

Kotahi - This creature is able to double the Harvest rewards of the province it occupies.

Koneko - This feline monster grants its clan extra coins whenever it is killed.

Nure-Onna - Beware this monster, for it is able to cross a shipping lane to join a battle.

Sunakake Baba - This monster is able to bring other Bushi with her when she moves to a different province.

Sacred Warrior - This noble panda creature actually becomes stronger the more Virtues your clan manages to accumulate.

Kitsune - This cunning fox spirit negates the force of all but one figure from each opponent during war.

Oni of Plagues - This imposing Oni is able to keep those more honorable than you away from you, ensuring an easy victory (as long as you can live in dishonor).

Jikininiki - This ghostly monster follows death. Whenever an enemy dies the Jikininiki may move to its province.

Daikaiju- This impressive monster roams the oceans, staying away from the provinces until War starts and it may suddenly decide to shuffle inland and wreak havoc.

I'm pleased with the diversity of abilities so far.
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rising Sun being the second game in the series, they seem to be making the KS even more deluxe along the same lines, with more monsters than Blood Rage, and etc. I say good for them!

And if they never get to do another Lang game, this one will live on forever...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pricklycactus wrote:
What do you guys think of the KS exclusive monsters?
after reading all the descriptions they seem to be mostly based around coming back to life after battle, or being able to move to another province before/after battle.
These seems useful i guess, if not a bit boring.

I missed the the BR KS but bought the core box + mystics + 5th for $140 cad all in.
after reading the descriptions for the KS exclusive monsters I can not imagine missing those monsters at all.
after all my group rarely uses the BR monsters in the core box, except for the no cost ones.
The other core BR monsters seem useful upon first read as well, but the high cost to play them during a game makes them very hard to use with other high vp strategies successfully.

Just thinking these things to myself and wonder if anyone else thought the same when they saw the monsters.

The plastic tokens look super fun and tactile, but i will probably be able to buy rising sun for > $100 from 401 games in toronto, while the KS will probably cost me $150 - 160 cad: 100 USD for the pledge plus 10 - 20 (USD?) shipping.
If you don't mind tying up the money in Kickstarter for a year, one could argue that you'd make out better financially by pledging now and then selling the superfluous monsters to reduce (or perhaps totally cover) your investment. Or if you later decide that the monsters are worth the extra cost, keep them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you all think that the monsters will be interchangeable? As in, you could leave out some from the base game and use the exclusives instead?

(We probably won't know for sure until the rule book is released, but maybe someone has a good guess based on how Blood Rage worked.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm disappointed at the lack of Kenshiro and Jojo "monster"

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like the monsters as they seem to add a lot of variate and replayability to the game. This is exactly why I am backing the game on KS (plastic tokens are nice, but don't change game play).

Better to have the monsters and not use them, than want them later and not have them. Plus, with so many, you can probably pick and chose the ones you include, or rotate them in or out of the game so you don't use them all every game.

Until we play we won't know for sure, but if you think you'll like the game I expect it will be a mistake to not back this KS.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Rising Sun being the second game in the series, they seem to be making the KS even more deluxe along the same lines, with more monsters than Blood Rage, and etc. I say good for them!

And if they never get to do another Lang game, this one will live on forever...


Well we're still waiting for Godfather at least! I'm sure we'll see more.

I think this already has a lot more monsters than Blood Rage? And they probably don't change the game as drastically so will fit in better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
MarkyX wrote:
I'm disappointed at the lack of Kenshiro and Jojo "monster"



Just wait for them....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pricklycactus wrote:

I missed the the BR KS but bought the core box + mystics + 5th for $140 cad all in.
after reading the descriptions for the KS exclusive monsters I can not imagine missing those monsters at all.
after all my group rarely uses the BR monsters in the core box, except for the no cost ones.
The other core BR monsters seem useful upon first read as well, but the high cost to play them during a game makes them very hard to use with other high vp strategies successfully.




Actually, the balance in Blood Rage trips me up a bit. Some of the monsters are a waste of time, but others are pretty fantastic (the one that annihilates warriors wherever he's deployed gets a lot of use in our group).

Are you looking for monsters to possibly change the gameplay? Because if you were playing with Fenris, he would fundamentally alter the gameplay more than the Gods expansion (Fenris is the star of Blood Rage). While some of the other monsters lacked any reason to bring them along (there were enough that hit that sweet spot where you could justify them depending on the path to victory you were working on).

So at least Fenris added new gameplay options. I don't think we'll know which of Rising Sun's monsters will be big game changers- and I don't think we will know until we actually get the game and play it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:


So, looking at the Rising Sun monsters:

Kotahi - This creature is able to double the Harvest rewards of the province it occupies.

Koneko - This feline monster grants its clan extra coins whenever it is killed.

Nure-Onna - Beware this monster, for it is able to cross a shipping lane to join a battle.

Sunakake Baba - This monster is able to bring other Bushi with her when she moves to a different province.

Sacred Warrior - This noble panda creature actually becomes stronger the more Virtues your clan manages to accumulate.

Kitsune - This cunning fox spirit negates the force of all but one figure from each opponent during war.

Oni of Plagues - This imposing Oni is able to keep those more honorable than you away from you, ensuring an easy victory (as long as you can live in dishonor).

Jikininiki - This ghostly monster follows death. Whenever an enemy dies the Jikininiki may move to its province.

Daikaiju- This impressive monster roams the oceans, staying away from the provinces until War starts and it may suddenly decide to shuffle inland and wreak havoc.

I'm pleased with the diversity of abilities so far.


thanks for pulling these together Nate. I like the diversity as well; we'll just have to see how they work in the game. One concern that I always have in KS is that sometimes the exclusives are so OP that they can adversely affect the game. I hope this is not the case here. Only time will tell.

I'm guessing that the rules will only allow so many monsters to be revealed in a a season (or even available for purchase), so that the game does not become a sea of monsters (they are already pretty dominating on the board - size wise).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alton
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
From the gameplay video I'm not sure Rising Sun is for me, but I'd be tempted to back it if one of the stretch goals was a deck of cards to make all the Rising Sun monsters playable in Blood Rage, and vice-versa.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,

Beyond the 12-card per season, you have a couple more KS exclusives (we're trying around 14 cards per season right now).

As for being OP, all of them are under playtesting/scanning to avoid any OP/broken things but being an exclusive, it is important to be fun/different from the regular one but not breaking the game in any aspect whatsoever!







yamato2 wrote:
Eldil wrote:


So, looking at the Rising Sun monsters:

Kotahi - This creature is able to double the Harvest rewards of the province it occupies.

Koneko - This feline monster grants its clan extra coins whenever it is killed.

Nure-Onna - Beware this monster, for it is able to cross a shipping lane to join a battle.

Sunakake Baba - This monster is able to bring other Bushi with her when she moves to a different province.

Sacred Warrior - This noble panda creature actually becomes stronger the more Virtues your clan manages to accumulate.

Kitsune - This cunning fox spirit negates the force of all but one figure from each opponent during war.

Oni of Plagues - This imposing Oni is able to keep those more honorable than you away from you, ensuring an easy victory (as long as you can live in dishonor).

Jikininiki - This ghostly monster follows death. Whenever an enemy dies the Jikininiki may move to its province.

Daikaiju- This impressive monster roams the oceans, staying away from the provinces until War starts and it may suddenly decide to shuffle inland and wreak havoc.

I'm pleased with the diversity of abilities so far.


thanks for pulling these together Nate. I like the diversity as well; we'll just have to see how they work in the game. One concern that I always have in KS is that sometimes the exclusives are so OP that they can adversely affect the game. I hope this is not the case here. Only time will tell.

I'm guessing that the rules will only allow so many monsters to be revealed in a a season (or even available for purchase), so that the game does not become a sea of monsters (they are already pretty dominating on the board - size wise).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.