22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Don't laugh, but: King of Tokyo or Pandemic Legacy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harold Jennett
msg tools
mbmb
I know these seem like two completely different games, but bear with me.

I've already just ordered Shadows of Brimstone, and Clank. I feel like I don’t really have any light, quick games, which King of Tokyo would be. I hear a lot of good stuff about King of Tokyo. I’ve played it on Tabletop Simulator a few times, and it was pretty fun, but I can also see it getting old after 4-5 games. Is this a game adults enjoy too, or is it mostly a kids game?

Then we have Pandemic Legacy being praised EVERYWHERE. I fear it might go out of print (mostly just me being paranoid, now that Season 2 has been announced), and I don’t want to miss out on the experience. On the other hand, I find the regular Pandemic game to be just OK. I also will be majorly bummed if I start playing Legacy with my family, and no one likes it after a few games, and I’ll be stuck with a game I can’t sell or trade because it’s a used Legacy game.

Thanks for any feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the one you have fun with. Get King of Tokyo. Pandemic is way over-hyped. If you feel meh about Pandemic, you'll feel meh about Legacy. You're really just playing Pandemic 18 or so times. Playing Legacy was interesting to see what all the fuss was about. But I probably would have had more fun playing King of Tokyo 10 times instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say in this particularly unique choice of games go with King of Tokyo. If you're looking for a light, quick game K.O.T. fits the bill better than Pandemic Legacy.

You'll probably want to play all the way through Legacy with the same people, so if there are times when you can't get them all together (don't know if that would be an issue for you) it would be easier to get K.O.T. to the table.

Also, you should probably be safe. Pandemic Legacy Season One has sold like gangbusters. I don't imagine you're at any risk of it going out of print for any extended period of time. Especially since Season two is a continuation of the story from Season one. I wouldn't think they would only want the sequel out on the market without players having a way to get the first part of the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Pandemic and think Pandemic Legacy is an amazing game and experience. That being said, for the situation you describe, I would go with Koíng of Tokyo and wouldn't worry about missing out on Pandemic Legacy (with the huge success it had/has, I'm sure it's gonna be around for quiet a while in case you ever find yourself in a situation where you really want to try it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jennett
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks guys. I'm going with King of Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrustyMutsi wrote:
Then we have Pandemic Legacy being praised EVERYWHERE. I fear it might go out of print (mostly just me being paranoid, now that Season 2 has been announced), and I don’t want to miss out on the experience. On the other hand, I find the regular Pandemic game to be just OK. I also will be majorly bummed if I start playing Legacy with my family, and no one likes it after a few games, and I’ll be stuck with a game I can’t sell or trade because it’s a used Legacy game.

all of those reasons for pandemic legacy sound like bad reasons, basically peer pressuring you into buying it.
Also take into account that pandemic legacy has the big bonus that most people already were a fan of pandemic before they tried the legacy version. It has been doing well enough that more prints will come so don't let that missing out feeling win.

King of tokyo wont get old any faster than any other game as light or quick. Maybe try finding it used so its cheaper and the condition wont make a lick of difference and use the spare money to get the evolution cards, they give a little more life to it. Its a game that does well if you play it every once in a while and with a player count around 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KOT is everyone's game. It fun, it is engaging but also has flaws like not that fun to play with two players and monsters are too same-y. For the later problem, I'd suggest to buy King of Tokyo: Power Up! which gives the monsters unique powers.

If you like KOT, I'd suggest another, newer, game which shares basic mechanic like KOT (rolling dice and use them for your actions): Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia. Masmorra is a dungeon crawler; each player controls a mini representing an adventurer exploring a dungeon. It has competitive and coop mode, thus supporting 1-5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo is a very good choice, and a better choice than Pandemic Legacy for a larger variety of groups. When you play it, try two slight changes to the rules for more interesting game play without breaking the game.

1. When you cash in a surge you rolled, take two surge cubes instead of one. This allows for faster and more varied builds for the players. It takes away the monsters feeling samey, which is a problem with the rules straight out of the box.

2. Increase the trade row from three cards to five. This allows for more options as well for players to purchase.

Try these variants before pursuing the expansions, as this has helped keep things fresh without needing to throw more cash at the game for expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tharin
Switzerland
Dübendorf
Schweiz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saying that Pandemic Legacy is overhyped is a hipster statement.
The game is very very well done and never failed to enjoy any of our customers (which is something i cannot say about ANY other products we have).
I can see how it's not the cup of tea for some people, but it's an extremely well designed game experience. At the moment it's the only thing i recommend people nomatter where they are coming from, even if they hate coop experiences (like i do). It's that good. You can aknowledge the quality of the game even if you dont like it.

I find regular Pandemic also "Meh" at best by the way, yet the legacy game was an experience we never forget.

However for the scenario you described i'd probably go for King of Tokyo with the Power Up Expansion as already mentioned by Esvath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jennett
msg tools
mbmb
Esvath wrote:
KOT is everyone's game. It fun, it is engaging but also has flaws like not that fun to play with two players and monsters are too same-y. For the later problem, I'd suggest to buy King of Tokyo: Power Up! which gives the monsters unique powers.

If you like KOT, I'd suggest another, newer, game which shares basic mechanic like KOT (rolling dice and use them for your actions): Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia. Masmorra is a dungeon crawler; each player controls a mini representing an adventurer exploring a dungeon. It has competitive and coop mode, thus supporting 1-5 players.

I would have bought this in a heartbeat when you suggested it last week in another thread, but it's not available to purchase anywhere I can find. I can pre-order on Amazon, but it's not until after my b-day, and it's also out of my price range.

Thanks though! I'm going to get it as soon as I have the $.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jennett
msg tools
mbmb
Msmith10000 wrote:
King of Tokyo is a very good choice, and a better choice than Pandemic Legacy for a larger variety of groups. When you play it, try two slight changes to the rules for more interesting game play without breaking the game.

1. When you cash in a surge you rolled, take two surge cubes instead of one. This allows for faster and more varied builds for the players. It takes away the monsters feeling samey, which is a problem with the rules straight out of the box.

2. Increase the trade row from three cards to five. This allows for more options as well for players to purchase.

Try these variants before pursuing the expansions, as this has helped keep things fresh without needing to throw more cash at the game for expansions.

This sounds awesome!! Thanks

(Is there a way to book mark a single post? I want to keep this for future reference).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Archer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
If you feel meh about Pandemic, you'll feel meh about Legacy.

You don't know that.

My family doesn't like Pandemic, but Legacy gave us the most fun we've ever had playing games. Since we finished Legacy, I've been able to get regular Pandemic back to the table only once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrustyMutsi wrote:
Esvath wrote:

I would have bought this in a heartbeat when you suggested it last week in another thread, but it's not available to purchase anywhere I can find. I can pre-order on Amazon, but it's not until after my b-day, and it's also out of my price range.

Thanks though! I'm going to get it as soon as I have the $.

Oh, sorry for the double suggestion. Masmorra might be available on retail around April, I heard. Now, you can try ebay.

Meanwhile, enjoy King of Tokyo and check for the Power UP! expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
TrustyMutsi wrote:
Msmith10000 wrote:

(Is there a way to book mark a single post? I want to keep this for future reference).

The "Posted ... " text at the bottom right of the post (just above the reply links) is a link to just that one post.

Also, the King of Tokyo variants forum has LOTS of ideas on how to spice up the game and address some of the issues people have with the game. Another popular one is everybody starts with a random Keep card and energy equal to 8 minus the cost of their "free" starter Keep card. Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jennett
msg tools
mbmb
kirkroberts wrote:
TrustyMutsi wrote:
Msmith10000 wrote:

The "Posted ... " text at the bottom right of the post (just above the reply links) is a link to just that one post.

Also, the King of Tokyo variants forum has LOTS of ideas on how to spice up the game and address some of the issues people have with the game. Another popular one is everybody starts with a random Keep card and energy equal to 8 minus the cost of their "free" starter Keep card. Enjoy.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy KoT. Save up for Gloomhaven even if for the next KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
Get King of New York instead of King of Tokyo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since "family" is a key word in your description I would definitely go with King of Tokyo. Much greater likelihood that a family would enjoy this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jennett
msg tools
mbmb
joeyman3 wrote:
Get King of New York instead of King of Tokyo

Too late. Already ordered it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jennett
msg tools
mbmb
matthean wrote:

Gloomhaven is having another kickstarter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jennett
msg tools
mbmb
matthean wrote:

Wait a minute... I had NO idea Gloomhaven was a Legacy game.

Mind. Blown.

I definitely am more into the Gloomhaven type of game. Glad I held off on Pandemic Legacy (although I WILL try it out someday).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jennett
msg tools
mbmb
Msmith10000 wrote:

Once I AM ready for expansions, which ones do you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.