Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about ID Ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Mandilas
Greece
flag msg tools
Hey fellow cosmic encounter-ers!

I just picked up my Cosmic Eons expansion. I have not played it yet, but I already have a question that will definitely come up once we play it. I imagine more people might come up with this problem, so I hope this thread solves future cases too.

Pack Rat and Emperor have a unique trait unprecedented among previous aliens: They receive items from players and an ID Ship so they can tell which player the item is from. My question is: Do they receive multiple ID Ships for each item they get, or do they stack all received items under ONE ID Ship? The phrasing on the card does not really help. Instinctively, I'd say the former is intended, i.e. one ID Ship per item, especially with the Pack Rat since he can trade his objects. What about the Emperor though?

Am I missing something here? Is there any obvious cue I am overlooking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Omnievul wrote:
Pack Rat and Emperor have a unique trait unprecedented among previous aliens

FWIW, The Cult and Bride also employ opponents' ships for ID purposes, although they don't use exactly the same language and they aren't marking specific objects.

Omnievul wrote:
Do they receive multiple ID Ships for each item they get, or do they stack all received items under ONE ID Ship?

Why would either of them ever get 2 or more ID ships for a single tribute or object?

Did you mean to ask your question the other way around? Did you want to ask whether there could be multiple objects stacked under a single ID ship? If that's your question, then the answer is no. It's always a fresh ID ship for each new use of the power. A 1-to-1 correspondence between a tribute or object and its identifying ID ship. Nothing in the texts says to put the new tribute or object underneath a previous ID ship if one already exists on the alien sheet.

Each time one of these powers is used, just read the text carefully and do what it says in the order it says and you'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emperor wrote:
you may use this power to demand a tribute. That player must show you one card from his or her hand and must also give you one of his or her ships from a colony.
On each use of the power you get one ship, regardless of whether or not you already have one of that player
Place the card facedown on this sheet and put the ship on top of the card as an owner ID.
"The card" refers to the card you just took, nothing refers to previous cards from that player. "The ship" is also the ship you just took.

The phrasing seem pretty clear to me. You take a ship each time and put the card/item under it. Similarly for pack rat. While the powers say these ships are for ID, they can also be used as minor ship drainers (IIRC one of their super flares say the ship can come from a colony you choose).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
(IIRC one of their super flares say the ship can come from a colony you choose).

Yup, that's Super Pack Rat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mandilas
Greece
flag msg tools
CBpegasus wrote:
emperor wrote:
you may use this power to demand a tribute. That player must show you one card from his or her hand and must also give you one of his or her ships from a colony.
On each use of the power you get one ship, regardless of whether or not you already have one of that player
Place the card facedown on this sheet and put the ship on top of the card as an owner ID.
"The card" refers to the card you just took, nothing refers to previous cards from that player. "The ship" is also the ship you just took.

The phrasing seem pretty clear to me. You take a ship each time and put the card/item under it. Similarly for pack rat. While the powers say these ships are for ID, they can also be used as minor ship drainers (IIRC one of their super flares say the ship can come from a colony you choose).

Alright, that is crystal clear then. I think the usage of "ID Ship" as a term confused me, since one ship would technically be enough to ID someone.

Still, at least this thread might come up for future googles of this topic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mandilas
Greece
flag msg tools
Bill Martinson wrote:

Omnievul wrote:
Do they receive multiple ID Ships for each item they get

Did you mean to ask your question the other way around?

Naaah, that was just erroneously phrased. What I meant was, "Do they receive one ID ship for each item they get?". Sorry, english is hard sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
English is a mess. To people who grew up speaking other, less chaotic languages, I can only imagine that English must seem like a freaking dumpster fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
English is a mess. To people who grew up speaking other, less chaotic languages, I can only imagine that English must seem like a freaking dumpster fire.
I dunno, in my time spent learning other languages, I find them to be equally eccentric. Although in some cases it's in a good way(such as a special plural form for two of something) and in others it's just dumb.

What makes English seem chaotic is that it has several different sets of grammar structures(since English is really a mixture of several languages).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:

Well, when English will get a new publisher, they'll dump the not-working-parts and publish 50 cool new aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.