Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread was posted in Hot Deals a couple days ago, linking to this storefront with a variety of games listed at $8.66 .

Knowing it was likely a scam (but with amazon gift credit available, so not in any real risk), I ordered two Pandemic games.

Well, last night I got a tracking number (from China). It has actually been received by Chinese Post with expected delivery between 3/10 and 3/15 (that seems unlikely). Still not expecting anything, but I'll update this post if it actually shows up or anything.

Looks like someone added 10 ratings to this storefront this morning - "Scam, don't expect anything to show up", but if I was being an optimist, I'd say that there's no way anyone actually received anything yet, so these ratings are based on the perceived nature of the scam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Well, last night I got a tracking number (from China).

lol... while like you said, you won't get anything (any chance you canpost tracking number so we can all play at home?), on the very unlikely chance you do, I wonder what you will get... maybe counterfeit (using same production artwork files, etc) because publisher had it produced in china?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
do note even in ...

[DEAD/SCAM] [Amazon] Carcassonne - $9.95 (Amazon 3rd party, free shipping)

folks appear to have gotten tracking numbers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
do note even in ...

Thanks for the link, although that appears to be regarding a different storefront.

Like I said: I have no expectations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like the guy who sticks his finger in the mousetrap saying "I know it'll probably hurt, but I'm curious how badly it will hurt."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thunkd wrote:
This sounds like the guy who sticks his finger in the mousetrap saying "I know it'll probably hurt, but I'm curious how badly it will hurt."

That's a pretty good description of Andy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

True story: when I was a kid, I spent a lot of time wondering what would happen if the handlebar on my bike clipped a sign as I was riding by. So naturally, I set out to test the theory by riding around the block and inching closer and closer to the sign each time. (I'm not sure what I thought would happen, and if I had spent three seconds to review the likely physics, I probably could have answered the question).

On the third time by the sign, I managed to hit the sign with my far left handlebar. Of course, this resulted in my wheel turning sharply (and since I was going at a good speed) I flew off the (suddenly stopped) bike and landed in a gravel driveway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

True story: when I was a kid, I spent a lot of time wondering what would happen if the handlebar on my bike clipped a sign as I was riding by. So naturally, I set out to test the theory by riding around the block and inching closer and closer to the sign each time. (I'm not sure what I thought would happen, and if I had spent three seconds to review the likely physics, I probably could have answered the question).

On the third time by the sign, I managed to hit the sign with my far left handlebar. Of course, this resulted in my wheel turning sharply (and since I was going at a good speed) I flew off the (suddenly stopped) bike and landed in a gravel driveway.
Admit it. You're curious how badly sticking your finger in a mousetrap will hurt now, aren't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Thunkd wrote:

I think everyone should lick a 9v battery at least once in their life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Well yeah. How else are you supposed to know if the battery still holds a charge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
AndySzy wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Admit it. You're curious how badly sticking your finger in a mousetrap will hurt now, aren't you?

Apparently it hurts reeealy bad.

Oh, and typing with just one hand is difficult...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

It's in this book. I recommend trying most of the others too.

http://www.fiftydangerousthings.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

50 years ago I worked as a hotel maintenance man with an old dude named Leo Jett, who was in the habit of checking for live wires with his thumb. He would give a little run-of-the-mill "yip" when he found 110, but his squawk when he found 220 was awesome.

He was actually a smart guy who taught me a lot, but I wasn't much interested in having a black smoking thumbnail so I found other ways to test current.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Duncan
United States
Fraser
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Wood and sheep for penguin bomber?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully they aren't like dangerous packages to target boardgame nerds. Like biochemical stuffs. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb

I would be fascinated to watch a side by side comparison of the 'new' games to their already own versions, including an unboxing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Please keep us in the loop. I'd love to see some photos when/if the package arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:

I would be fascinated to watch a side by side comparison of the 'new' games to their already own versions, including an unboxing.

There's no actual package being sent so a video like that would be hard to make. The scam only works if you don't have to counterfeit a bunch of strange dice and cardboard pieces.

Games with nothing but cards do have actual counterfeiting though. I'm currently working on a side-by-side of a counterfeit Dixit deck (I ordered it on purpose) with a real one. By "working on" I mean "too lazy to take the pictures off my phone but still plan to".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:

There's no actual package being sent so a video like that would be hard to make. The scam only works if you don't have to counterfeit a bunch of strange dice and cardboard pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hrm...I wonder if this is related. Fake "knock off" Dominion from Amazon? Would appreciate your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's start a GG betting pool on this.

Will he actually receive a package during the shipping estimate or not?

Will he receive a package within 2 weeks of the estimate?

If he actually receives a package, will it contain the game he ordered, a cheap counterfeit, just a bunch of packing material, or something completely random?

Or feel free to make up your own bet.

Place your bets and the odds you are giving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
do note even in ...

Thanks for the link, although that appears to be regarding a different storefront.

lol, of course it is different... do you really think amazon just keeps letter a known scammer keep seller.

sounds like from the comments that you are the type who may fall pray to the Nigerian prince scam... because it's a "different" Nigerian prince sorry as I am one who test 9 volt batteries with my tongue (too much work to pull out a volt meter)

I wonder if the scam works because a certain percentage of folks won't make a claim for a relatively small amount? With 30k items it opens the pool of suckers, I mean potential victims, to the bigger the haul. After amazon (or other site) shuts them down re-open under different account (aka seller aka storefront)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Easybeans wrote:
It was a scam. Like we all suspected. The storefront is now empty and Amazon is issuing refunds.

No harm done

other than a scam artist being rewarded and Amazon out some money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Easybeans wrote:
It was a scam. Like we all suspected. The storefront is now empty and Amazon is issuing refunds.

No harm done

... and the base posters dreams being dashed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Easybeans wrote:

No harm done

I'm surprised it took Amazon this long. You'd think a storefront listing thousands of items at the exact same price when a lot of them should have wide differences in price is something they could program their system to catch automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.