Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower» Forums » General

Subject: arcane or mighty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm involved in a work based birthday thing and my nominated buyer ias asking for recommendations.

Which of the two provide most value for gameplay please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
voltemands wrote:
I'm involved in a work based birthday thing and my nominated buyer ias asking for recommendations.

Which of the two provide most value for gameplay please?

Arcane is the better set, I think.

For a start, it has five models rather than four. Okay, the chaos sorcerer is also in the Shadows over Hammerhal set, but that just means you can play the chaos sorcerer in your games of Hammerhal (or sell one of the sorcerer's to offset the cost). But generally, a choice of five new heroes is going to trump four new heroes.

Additionally, the arcane heroes are a bit more interesting and diverse - you get a skink and a skaven, and it's the only way to get another female hero at the moment.

By contrast Mighty Warriors gets you a dwarf that is a bit like the dwarf in the base game, a salughterpriest that also comes in the Gorechosen board game, and the knight-venator that (while cool) looks very much out of place in the dungeon.

The knight-venator is very good and makes the game a bit easier. He is also the hardest model to put together, if that's a consideration.

Of course, if you haven't got the Hero Cards expansion (or the app), Mighty Warriors might be the better choice, as you have the stats for those heroes in the back of the book, whereas to use the Arcane set you would need to buy the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for your thoughts.

I hadn't considered the female character. That could decide it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with Arcane as my beef counter was through the roof due to owning Gorechosen and all its eight hunks, no lack of musclebound brutes. That and not wanting a duplicate of a character I already had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does the hero card pack contain all the cards for all the gorechosen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, the GC box suggests it has 4 playable characters. How come you have eight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voltemands wrote:
Also, the GC box suggests it has 4 playable characters. How come you have eight?

You get four miniatures but rules for eight characters (so four you have to buy the miniatures for separately).

The comments in my review for Gorechosen goes into details of where you can get those extra characters, if that helps.

All eight Gorechosen characters have hero cards in the Silver Tower Heroes Card Pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
... and it's the only way to get another female hero at the moment. ...

I think that the Branchwych is female. (Or is at least modeled to imply that.) But that requires an individual model purchase, and buying the rules in the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aforesaidraven wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
... and it's the only way to get another female hero at the moment. ...

I think that the Branchwych is female. (Or is at least modeled to imply that.) But that requires an individual model purchase, and buying the rules in the app.

The Branchwych is female, but like you say she is only available as an individual purchase (not in either hero box), and her hero card is only available in the app, so I didn't want to get into that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're still looking, I'd suggest Mighty. Mighty has basically one hero based on the same template as a core one, while 3 of the Arcane ones are extremely similar to the existing mage, to the point that one is almost identical.

If your friend isn't in to miniatures, the card pack is going to give him way more content. If it is about the models rather than mechanics or variety, then that becomes more about what you think your friend will like the aesthetic of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Funnily enough - my family were very coordinated this year and I got both boxes! Need to buy the card pack though now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands wrote:
Funnily enough - my family were very coordinated this year and I got both boxes! Need to buy the card pack though now.

As an FYI - Mighty Heroes rules are in the back of the Silver Tower book (available for Photocopy for personal use).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.