Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Fuhrman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings! I am currently working on making a game available for PnP. Having never done so before, I have a couple of questions on how to make it easily assembled and accessible for the players. Currently, I am teaching myself Inkscape (for the art), and have a decent working knowledge of Word.

1. My "game board" needs to be larger than my normal US Letter size (8.5" x 11"). I am thinking, to make it easy, I will make it fit onto two sheets of paper put together (portrait, making it 17 x 11) so players can tape/glue them together to make the board. My question, therefore, is how do I do this? Do I have to make the board art divided in half in two separate files (that sounds like a nightmare)? Or what program/method could I use to "split" the art into two halves?

2. Does anyone know any tutorials/articles (or just explain it here) on how to make those cutting guide lines for tokens, etc.? I feel like I could just eyeball it and create some lines, but I'm guessing there are some much better and more accurate ways of doing it.

Thanks so much in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tavener
United Kingdom
Waterlooville
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
665 The neighbour of the beast
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never created a PnP myself, but I have encountered similar issues when creating prototypes for publishers. I would be inclined to create a pdf for your entire board and then use something likehttp://www.rasterizer.de/to divide it up.

With tokens I think it depends on what sort you want. If there any that are double sided then alignment will be an issue.It's Possible but great care is required especially if the counters are small or the margins are narrow. If they are square or rectangular then check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqqFvPZe4qs
you can buy special punches for round counters, but I suspect that most people will not own them so will probably just use a blade making circular or iregular counters difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not totally knowledgeable with inkscape so in general terms:
1. try some type of crop option so you have 2 more files. It should be easier than having some secondary option do it.
2. eyeball with a guide/ruler option

https://inkscapetutorials.org/2014/04/22/inkscape-faq-how-do...
try option 3 for your first problem

https://inkscapetutorials.org/2014/04/25/working-with-guides...
and that should help #2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Mark

1. Game board. You will need to create an image of the full-sized board first, maybe on an A3 page in Inkscape. Then you can copy each half off to paste into separate A4/ letter files to export to pdf.

2. Cutting guides. Various ways to do this Jake Staines ( google dining table pnp) has provided good Inkscape templates for poker sized cards. For counters you'll need to draw your little guide lines and then align them using the positioning tools (align left etc, space evenly etc). Use your snapping options. Another option is to draw a regular grid and then cover most of it with a white square so that only the outside edges are visible as your cutting guides. I don't think there is a single best way to do this - there are lots of options and it depends on the context and the way you like to think and plan.

Good luck!
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Posterazor like someone already said. Or make a layer in inkscape with two rectangles (slightly overlapping probably). Hide it but you can still use it to (batch-)export areas. Please remember to make sheets small enough so everyone of us outside of North America can also print (on A4 size paper).

2. My countersheets extension for inkscape does registration marks:

Inkscape Extensions for Boardgame Development
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Options are always good. include both a full-size 11x17 board as well as splitting it in half for 8.5x11. I have a printer that can print 11x17 and would hate to have to print and tape two halves together (or manually put them together in Photoshop).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fuhrman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a lot of great options! I will be checking these out.

As far as the tokens go, yes, they are going to be uniformly square AND single-sided, so that should make things easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smackwell wrote:
Options are always good. include both a full-size 11x17 board as well as splitting it in half for 8.5x11. I have a printer that can print 11x17 and would hate to have to print and tape two halves together (or manually put them together in Photoshop).

My printer prints A3, but I do not mind maps in smaller sheets (eg A4), because then I just scale them to 141% to print bigger sheets instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use gimp, splitting images is easy. Open the original image. In the image menu select the create a guide option. Place the guideline at 50% of either vertical or horizontal, depending on which way you want to split. Then go to the image menu, select transform then guillotine and voila! 2 equally sized images. If you place a vertical and a horizontal guideline you get 4 equal pieces and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fuhrman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
danrodz wrote:
If you use gimp, splitting images is easy. Open the original image. In the image menu select the create a guide option. Place the guideline at 50% of either vertical or horizontal, depending on which way you want to split. Then go to the image menu, select transform then guillotine and voila! 2 equally sized images. If you place a vertical and a horizontal guideline you get 4 equal pieces and so on.

Nice! I've been thinking about getting gimp as well; it'll just take me a while to get comfortable with the program, as I'm still rocking the learning curve for inkscape. Not to mention actually creating the art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One board a friend of mine made for us had the artwork with around .5 inch overlap of artwork on both sheets. This made it possible to have that extra flash to line them up if we did not have a program possible to do automatic alignment.

It may be a considerate action on your part to make this also alternatively available for people that dont have access to such programs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebathius wrote:
One board a friend of mine made for us had the artwork with around .5 inch overlap of artwork on both sheets. This made it possible to have that extra flash to line them up if we did not have a program possible to do automatic alignment.

It may be a considerate action on your part to make this also alternatively available for people that dont have access to such programs.

Posterazor supports configurable overlap, so you can use that to generate a multi-page PDF of the board with pages that overlap slightly after printing. That is usually a good idea to make things line up perfectly.

You can do the same thing if manually exporting different rectangular regions from Inkscape as I mentioned above. I usually give them a slight overlap. This allows for very good control over exactly what ends up on each page, and to be able to see that while editing the board (by toggling visibility of the layer with the rectangles). Although the individual images exported must be manually merged into a single multi-page PDF if you want to distribute it like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fuhrman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Although the individual images exported must be manually merged into a single multi-page PDF if you want to distribute it like that.

Speaking of, how does one go about merging PDFs? Or do you just copy images and everything all into a word document or something and then just create it as one PDF?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is software that can merge/split, etc., PDF files.

Create different PDFs for cards, tokens, etc. and use that software to make 1 PDF for distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a Mac (OSX) the bundled PDF viewer (Preview) can merge PDF documents by just dragging them together in the thumbnail view and then save the result.

There are many free tools though you can download for any OS. I think I used one called pdfjoin or something. But when using Posterazor to split a large image into smaller ones it will automatically also create the PDF so there is no additional step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSaturn17 wrote:
pelni wrote:
Although the individual images exported must be manually merged into a single multi-page PDF if you want to distribute it like that.

Speaking of, how does one go about merging PDFs? Or do you just copy images and everything all into a word document or something and then just create it as one PDF?

Thanks for all the help so far!

I'm a linux user and I use Master PDF Editor 3 for all of those sorts of tasks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark,

as soon as you realize, Powerpoint is not a presentation too, but a layout tool, you do not want to use word (which is a text processing tool) again for design stuff!

Create a cutting line for example:
Draw a shape (square), fill with graphic, change the line from solid to dashed. Select any colour.

As simple as that.

Regarding the gameboard:
Create a new powerpoint file with two slides, half the size of your gameboard.
Place your graphic accordingly on both slides: One half on the first slide, the other half on the second.
Save as .jpg (or png) -> all slides -> done!

Oh, one more thing: If you are looking for icons, www.game-icons.net is your page of choice to go to. Plenty of options to create stuff without needing to know about the complications of inkscape or gimp!

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fuhrman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
Hi Mark,

as soon as you realize, Powerpoint is not a presentation too, but a layout tool, you do not want to use word (which is a text processing tool) again for design stuff!

Create a cutting line for example:
Draw a shape (square), fill with graphic, change the line from solid to dashed. Select any colour.

As simple as that.

Regarding the gameboard:
Create a new powerpoint file with two slides, half the size of your gameboard.
Place your graphic accordingly on both slides: One half on the first slide, the other half on the second.
Save as .jpg (or png) -> all slides -> done!

Oh, one more thing: If you are looking for icons, www.game-icons.net is your page of choice to go to. Plenty of options to create stuff without needing to know about the complications of inkscape or gimp!

Kind regards,
Kai

I've not heard of people using powerpoint for anything else besides slides before, so I might have to check that out. I have checked game-icons.net out, and it looks really useful, but unfortunately not for the game I'm working on right now. Will keep it in mind, though. Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.