Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok this is a thoughtful question.

Let say an Archer is standing next to the Brute with Retaliate up. The archer card doesn't allow him to move so he only get to attack.

The archer shoots the Brute with disadvantage, since he is adjacent does it still allow the Brute to retaliate?

My party discussed it and we believe it should because the archer would use his bow as a staff at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt that the archer would use his bow as a staff-- you are likely to just sting your target and perhaps break your weapon. However, the rules state that if you attack, the retaliate happens. If you are out of range, you take no damage from it. In this case, the archer is in range, and thus damage is taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the retaliate still activates in this sitaution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Retaliate doesn't care about the method of attack, just that the attack must come from an enemy on an adjacent space. From the FAQ, it applies even if the attacker is invisible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rulebook on me, but i didn't think retaliate distinguished between melee and ranged attacks, only whether you were in range of the retailiate (which is usually but not always an unstated range of 1).

I agree the retaliate happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are plain as day for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely would affect him. Retaliate says nothing about the kind attack that's being made, it just says it affects an attacker in an adjacent space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Retaliate, page 26:

Quote:
A "Retaliate X" bonus ability causes the target to inflict X points of damage on figures who attack it from an adjacent hex for each attack made."

Seems clear from the rulebook that retaliate would apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the retaliate specifically calls out melee attacks? I'm thinking about the Cragheart's retaliate card. Then it would not trigger because the Archer is making a ranged attack, but adjacent, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
What if the retaliate specifically calls out melee attacks? I'm thinking about the Cragheart's retaliate card. Then it would not trigger because the Archer is making a ranged attack, but adjacent, right?

This is what started our conversation. The Cragheart card states "On the next six melee attacks targetting you gain Retaliate 2"

So would and adjacent Ranged attack be considered melee?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
icechamber wrote:
sirgalin wrote:

This is what started our conversation. The Cragheart card states "On the next six melee attacks targetting you gain Retaliate 2"

No
A ranged attack is always ranged unless maybe if it is reduced to zero by an ability card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:
icechamber wrote:
sirgalin wrote:

No
A ranged attack is always ranged unless maybe if it is reduced to zero by an ability card.

Strangely, range 1 is still an adjacent ranged attack. (Range 0 is self)

"Range -" is melee, though I don't know if such a modifier exists.

Rulebook p19 wrote:
Ranged attacks are accompanied by a “Range Y” value, which means any enemy within Y hexes can be targeted ... Any ranged attack targeting an adjacent enemy gains Disadvantage against that target (see Advantage and Disadvantage on pp. 20–21 for details).
Melee attacks have no accompanying range value and are considered to have a default range of 1 hex, which means they typically target adjacent enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.