Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First a quick thanks for this awesome production. My father was UDT/SEAL and did two tours in Vietnam, I got this in him memory.

About Bombardment, can a unit do offensive bombardment and then also manoeuvre support? If so can they both be against the hex being attacked?

Also regarding PAVN mortar units, can they be used for ground attack or are they solely meant to be used as artillery? If so can they also be used for offensive bombardment or support?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HorizonMan wrote:
First a quick thanks for this awesome production. My father was UDT/SEAL and did two tours in Vietnam, I got this in him memory.

About Bombardment, can a unit do offensive bombardment and then also manoeuvre support? If so can they both be against the hex being attacked?

See 10.4.1. "They can't fire more than once in any given Bombardment Phase or Combat Step."

The Bombardment Phase is separate from the Maneuver and Assault Combat Steps. Each of the latter are their own Combat Step, so, yes.

There is no restriction on which hex can be attacked in that case except that a given hex can only be a target once during the Bombardment Phase.

Quote:
Also regarding PAVN mortar units, can they be used for ground attack or are they solely meant to be used as artillery? If so can they also be used for offensive bombardment or support?

Thanks!

See 12.3. I think it answer all of your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Mitchell and :facepalm on missing the mortar rules

Regarding offensive bombardment, if a mortar unit conducts offensive bombardment will it count as FirstFire? I'm pretty sure that's a yes but would like to confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HorizonMan wrote:
Thanks Mitchell and :facepalm on missing the mortar rules

Regarding offensive bombardment, if a mortar unit conducts offensive bombardment will it count as FirstFire? I'm pretty sure that's a yes but would like to confirm.

No problem, and yes, it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
A follow up for you

About 10.4.1:
Artillery units can move and/ or fire twice per game turn, but never more than once in any given Bombardment Phase or Combat step.

If Combat Resolution Phase is handled completely for each combat hex, Coordination, Maneuver, Assault, then is it possible for a artillery unit to fire in the Maneuver step for an attack on Hex A then in the Maneuver step for an attack on Hex B?

Is this where 10.4.5: An artillery unit cannot split it's fire into more than one hex.

If the Combat Resolution Phase, while done as complete steps for each hex, are considered to be taking place at the same time, then I can see that a artillery unit cannot fire during Maneuver combat in 2 different hexes.

Or does 10.4.5 mean that if an artillery unit fires at one hex during a Combat Resolution Phase, during any step, it can not fire at a second hex during that hex's CRP?

Sorry, the answer may seem/ be obvious to some, but I've gotten a bit turned around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ca_squires wrote:
A follow up for you

About 10.4.1:
Artillery units can move and/ or fire twice per game turn, but never more than once in any given Bombardment Phase or Combat step.

If Combat Resolution Phase is handled completely for each combat hex, Coordination, Maneuver, Assault, then is it possible for a artillery unit to fire in the Maneuver step for an attack on Hex A then in the Maneuver step for an attack on Hex B?

No, only once on either A or B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank for the response, I appreciate your patience!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Galli
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
The 4th Hussars Do Not Ride Donkeys!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a followup question regarding mortars.

I'm using version 1.11 of the rules.

Per 12.3, mortars can participate directly in Maneuver or Assault Combat as an attacker as long as they are otherwise eligible. Thus a mortar unit could move adjacent to the enemy, be declared to be part of an Assault Combat, fire in the Offensive Bombardment Phase (marked with First Fire), and then (assuming everything went well) contribute its Bombardment Strength to the Assault. However at this point it would still only be marked with a First Fire marker, and could still Final Fire later (for example, during the second player turn). Correct?

It seems weird to me that mortars which directly participate in combat by contributing their Bombardment Strength to the combat don't consider that to be "firing". So I want to make sure that I understood correctly & didn't miss anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You understand correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow up question, please.

PAVN declare a Maneuver Combat against Hex A and an Assault Combat against Hex B.

Can the same FWA ARTY support both? Two different steps (I think) but all done in the same combat phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
TedW wrote:

PAVN declare a Maneuver Combat against Hex A and an Assault Combat against Hex B.

Can the same FWA ARTY support both? Two different steps (I think) but all done in the same combat phase.
They are different combat steps, so by the artillery restrictions definition, it is allowed. An artillery or mortar can fire only once the offensive bombardment, maneuver combat, or defensive bombardment phase/step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
revnye wrote:
TedW wrote:

They are different combat steps, so by the artillery restrictions definition, it is allowed. An artillery or mortar can fire only once the offensive bombardment, maneuver combat, or defensive bombardment phase/step.

Good! That's how I played it. Thx for the response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.