Hide
10 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Scenario 2 (a bit of session and a thought about the BC Special 1) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ahura Mazda
msg tools
I atually had some difficulties interpreting this scenario, but then I went with my intuition and it went so easily that I figured it has the right dificulty (when taking into account the randomness of things). This is a scenario that can get very easy or very hard very fast. It goes without saying I did not even see a curse card, which was a blessing (sorry I just could not avoid the pun).

My main doubt is how to interpret the Special 1. For me, when it says the BC jumps to each door, it just means he only moves 3 to try and open the door, through the shortest most direct way, so he can get reinforcements.

I think this makes more sense than, he teleports next to each door to open them. Otherwise the special would say "The BC presses a button and door X opens". It's a BC not some high level wizard with teleport spells or magical powers...

So my Party (of 2) consists of a Mindthief (Mr. Whiskers) and a Tinkerer (Mr. Cogwell) and I had a lot of trouble during the first scenario, then I changed a couple of lvl 1 cards to lvl x cards on each, then tried a random scenario to sort of link scenarios 1 and 2 (and it turned out very cool, because it contained mostly the same kind of tiles (inner caves/hidout and ice corridor) and enemies (bandits with hounds, undead and some city guards, who thought we were in league with the bandits no matter what we told them), and the mind thief fell over of exhaustion, with only the tinkerer surviving but making quick work of two elite undead and two normal bones.

So, now to this scenario in particular.
The first room was actually very easy and dispatched on the first turn with pushes and pulls to traps preceded by good attacks. The second turn saw my tinkerer barging in on the BC and quickly runing over to the middle of the room to pull the BC away from door a. I got lucky and the BC drew a move and attack and the elite archer as well, and they nearly killed my tinkerer (lucky?!? lol). Then the Mindthief proceeded to go straight for door a and plant a rat swarm next to him to block it as well.
Turn three came up with the Mind thief and the tinkerer going all out on the archer and killing him, eliminating that threat source (the midthief actually put up the augment that gives +2atk). The BC luckily only summoned some bones. On turn four the tinkerer repositioned himself and healed, the Bones tried a null attack and the BC tried to go for door a but stayed short of it for 2 squares, which gave breathing room on the Mindthief to actually launch a big attack and wound him.
Turn five had the tinkerer block the third hex near the door (so all three were now barred and nothing was coming out from there) just after attacking and immobilizing the living bones, the BC tried to reach the door but was too slow, the bones only hit the air and the rat swarm and mind thief punched the bejeezus from the BC. Sixth and last turn saw the Rat swarm kill the BC and both the Mindthief and Tinkerer killed the Bones.

I realize I was very lucky for not seeing the curse cards (and actually getting plenty of the +1 and even the +2 atks), but figure that this party composition i better suited for dealing with less enemies (even if they are strong) than swarms, since both scenario 1 and the random scenarios were nailbiting wins.

One final note, I do not agree with the added "easiness" of solo-mode being balanced by upping a level just because the player knows the initiative of both characters, so for me it's lvl 1 as normal and not easy (since both characters were still lvl 1, ad the Tinkerer now went to lvl 2). This is because a good party of hardcore gamers will manage to calculate well the initiative levels of each character, even without people saying direct things, but hinting at what they are ging to do like "I'm going to run straight to the middle of the room and perform a fast attack on the leader to pull him closer to me and away from the door". This is totally legal since it explains the action from a roleplaying POV and if people know the characters well they will know more or less when that action will be made. So, in what way this is different (in terms of difficulty) from solo, is something I cannot understand. If people make a compelling argument for solo being easier than multiplayer, which goes beyond that or the "it's easy we want to make it harder" (because the game is not easy!) argument, I might review my opinion. Solo is hard because you will have to check at least around 20 cards and choose 4 to work in harmony. That is not easy work my friends. Especially when you are starting out.

Any thoughts? (especially on the combination Mindthief+Tinkerer? I actually like them and think they complement eachother fairly well, with good melee+ranged and summons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Boss teleports from door to door. He doesn't move like a normal Monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Arlington

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The boss does in fact jump/teleport instantly to the next door. He summons skeletons too, so he must have some magical ability, right?

For what it's worth, You're not the first person to interpret it the slow travel way though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahura Mazda
msg tools
*sigh* this (teleporting) is soooooo stupid.
But, what if he does not have any place near the door to stand? So If I occupy all three adjacent hexes? He should not be able to open the door. I am just thinking this is logical terms (but heck let's just throw logic out the door, since he can "teleport".... don't mind mind I'm just rambling about how stupid this feels to me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahura Mazda
msg tools
But thank you both on that insight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Arlington

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Zarathustra_pt wrote:
But, what if he does not have any place near the door to stand? So If I occupy all three adjacent hexes? He should not be able to open the door. I am just thinking this is logical terms (but heck let's just throw logic out the door, since he can "teleport".... don't mind mind I'm just rambling about how stupid this feels to me).

He doesn't stand next to a door to open it, he occupies the same space as the door to open it, like a player character. And you can't block the door until it's open, so you can't stop the special one action. (Or trap the door either, others have asked. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zarathustra_pt wrote:

He teleports directly to the door... So if you occupy the 3 adjacent hexes, that doesn't matter... he teleports to the hex with the door on it and opens it. If he is teleporting to a door he has already opened and so the hex is already occupied, from the FAQ: He will teleport to the closest unoccupied hex to the door, with players choosing if there is a tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just imagine it as a short sprint with jump? I mean the Spellweaver has a Move 8 Jump card. And since closed doors (and in this case the doors are even locked!) are considered walls, no player character can occupy the hex until the boss has actually opened it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucus Trout
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never thought of it as teleporting either. However, I've played with the boots of speed on a Brute so maybe you haven't seen the move possibilities of all the base lvl 1 characters?

Also, he's a boss, he should be more extraordinary than an elite or standard monster. I don't want him to feel like a more beefy guard, I want him to feel like someone that is a real accomplishment to take down.

However now I have to replay the scenario because I didn't realize I couldn't trap the door. D'oh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to imagine anything to explain how the boss does what he does. It says right there in the scenario text that some wicked juju is emanating from him.

I misplayed this scenario by cleverly trapping a door that can't be trapped. But I'm going to forge ahead anyway and tell everyone in Gloomhaven that cleverly trapping the door is how it went down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.