Scott Mansfield
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of getting the Union to naval move as quickly as the OPs/Events will allow. DC is relatively easy to secure, especially if you can fortify Fredrick or even better Mannas. If those sweet Union blockade or Amphibious Assault events come early that's a no brainer.

In my last game I had a high mobility hand in Summer 61' and from the Spring round I was able to secure Sabine City and New Orleans (due to the Farragut Event) and so used this hand to get to Vicksburg (built a fort) and to Memphis (unable to get a fort there). I thought I was in good shape, but I think I was too early in being so aggressive for the CSA was able to put pressure in the NE with two armies, they retook New Orleans and thus I backpedaled and abandoned Vicksburg to fortify around DC.

In hindsight, I think I should have focused on shutting down the blockade runner ports. What have others done with early Union Naval moves, I'm curious?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can get the Union navy moving in the early going I like to set up a beach head in Morehead City. It serves as a nice distraction to the Confederate player having a Union force present south of Richmond. If you can get Burnside there all the better because he is a level 2 leader with a 0-1 rating. A much better situation then the totally inept Butler in Ft. Monroe.

I have never actually tried the Sabine City route even though I have read that a lot of players like to go that way to quickly take control of Texas and score an early blow to the rebel strategic will.

Enjoy the game, Scott!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mansfield
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I am! Next to High Frontier it's my favorite game to get immersed in, it tells such a fantastic narrative. Just finished McPherson's Battle Cry as well, which only adds to the richness of the play.

I totally agree about the ineptitude of Butler in Ft. Monroe, I know it's generally viewed to be good thing to have some pressure on Richmond's flank, but it doesn't take much from the CSA to bottle him up. A Morehead beachfront is an interesting idea, I'll try that next. I've tried a few times to get into Columbus Georgia to start going after resource spaces, but that's easy for the CSA to shut down with minimal SP's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.