BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: Magmeda Monsters - Art 13 years in progress rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
André Forsblom
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
Magmeda Monsters is strategic card game that I've been working on since I was 12 (I'm 25 now).

Below are some of the first (handmade) cards I made as a 12 year old.

Some years later (when I was like 15) I remade the whole thing, this time only drawing the pictures by hand and doing the rest of the cards digitally (in Paint lol).

In more recent times I have hired an artist to recreate the art in a more professional fashion, but while still preserving the feeling of the original cards.

I was inspired by the art in Yu-Gi-Oh when I started making cards and since Yu-Gi-Oh have so diverse monsters (like super-detailed mecha-dragons and cute little blobs) I also made many different types of characters.

I'm curious what people think about this in games, what do you think about when a game plays around with artstyles, mixing cool/funny motives etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Forsblom
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
Some more card samples. Like I said, it's pretty mixed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that you kept your old prototypes. I always enjoy seeing the component progress in the WIP/design threads. My daughter and I made a game when she was very young and I kept the original scribble drawings (I have a bunch of clip art now).

edit: also it's a pretty good layout though I'm no expert. Decent use of color and placement to separate the flavor/art from the game stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Forsblom
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks! I decided early that I wanted the cards to be in full art without borders, but since there is quite a lot of information on each card it took a while to come up with a layout where everything fit in a good way.

Good call to save your old scribble drawings, that kind of stuff is really nice to look at once in a while. I plan to have all my cards framed one day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.