Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ah kaiser
Canada
Woodstock
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we know how many coins there will be? What denominations they may be in? Are the finite, can you run out of coins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for "infinite coins included in the box" to be a stretch goal, but that might have to be an add on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it matter? We all know that everyone is going to get their own metal coins for the game if they aren't offered as an upgrade or addon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P0isson wrote:
Does it matter? We all know that everyone is going to get their own metal coins for the game if they aren't offered as an upgrade or addon.

I'm looking at you Scythe metal coin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.amazon.com/IFfree-Chinese-I-ching-Differern-Dyna...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why buy Scythe coins when you can buy a 100 coin lot for less than $5? I just ordered a set a last week off of ebay.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
Why buy Scythe coins when you can buy a 100 coin lot for less than $5? I just ordered a set a last week off of ebay.

Because I already have 5 packs of every denomination (including 50s and 2s) of Scythe coins to use as generic money for all games whistle

But those coins look real sweet

Edit: Done X5 blush Please don't judge me blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:

Thanks for sharing that link! I just might have to get me a set of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
I'm waiting for "infinite coins included in the box" to be a stretch goal, but that might have to be an add on.

Haha

I'm guessing he was asking whether or not the finite number of coins included in the game is meant to function as an inherent limitation within the ruleset, or, if not, whether he can use a larger quantity of his own coins without disrupting gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ah kaiser
Canada
Woodstock
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess what i am concerned with is game play. If there are only 40 coins (purely a guess) are you able to use the limited coins to ensure you win at certain bidding points by having the most coins (not factoring the Ronin)...so from a strategy point it really does matter. Say I have 30 coins and the remaining 4 players only have the remaining 10 spread out between them. Could I use the limited coin pool to ensure battles go my way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:

Why not just go to the bank and order a roll of real 5 yen coins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
tlee33 wrote:

Why not just go to the bank and order a roll of real 5 yen coins?

Yeah, for Scythe, I decided not to spend $20 on fake coins when I could, in fact, use actual US currency instead for about $5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
If you played Scythe, the "upgrade" from cardboard to plastic coins in Rising Sun is actually a (bad) joke.

In Scythe, the metal coins add a lot of value to an already fantastic game. But paying 100$ (plus transport) for plastic? Hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah sure, Rising Sun offers obviously very bad price/value relation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just wondering that the price is quite high. Blood Rage was at 75$ and now Rising Sun is at 100$. This means 33% more material? 33% higher quality? Or just 33% more margin?

And I personally don't like plastic! Stable cardboard, or better: metal and wood are high quality. But plastic? It is okay (and necessary) for miniatures. But tokens shouldn't be made from plastic.

Look at Catan: In the beginning all material was wood. Now they sell cheap plastic and if you want to have wood you need to buy a deluxe edition.

So I am surprised that they include cheap tokens for a game that costs 100$ each and a kickstarter that is at 1.8 m$. They could at least include it as an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
As a matter of fact, Rising Sun has more components than Blood Rage. First because it has more clans and second because the gameplay needs more material.

This is a game with a lot of minis, so if you don't like plastic, you're bound to be displeased.

The campaign isn't over, metal pieces may well be offered as an option.

Personaly I prefer cardboard, wood or plastic, don't like metal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And prices across the board have simply gone up over the last 2 years. Games aren't getting cheaper. Very little is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.