Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know a lot of people were really turned off by the role of a GM being introduced to the new WHQ games - I really think this is part of GW's plan, however, and that we'll see another or possibly two more WHQ core games that introduce more/different rules to form a complete game experience.

I think the way SOHH compliments ST is evidence to that.

I was very lukewarm regarding ST. I liked it well enough, and found it fun enough, but it didn't blow me away. SOHH appealed to me more, but maybe in its own doesn't blow me away either.

The two game together - well, this is great. SOHH feels like and old school/Old World game, while ST is obviously very AoS-y. Developing the two together into a campaign (which I'm working on for my group) is going to be fun - SOHH gives us a "typical dungeon" setting, which feels classic; ST seems much more otherworldly now that we can contrast it to a more common setting. The rules differences are subtle, allowing for an either/or when it comes to a GM (when designing your own scenarios, as I realize SOHH played co-op would be a tall task to make work).

We're now seeing how customizable this new WHQ series is going to be. ST already had an almost unlimited amount of heroes, and SOHH broadens the amount of monsters we can use. It won't be long before we can use any model in GW's line, I'm sure; that was one of the original WHQ's virtues I liked best.

Also custizable now - the style of play, co-op or GM'd, or a mix or both.ST had a near-infinite number of ways the tower could unfold, but you were always in the ST. SOHH has a set adventure, but now we have wonderful classic tile to incorporate into our games.

So what we have between these two sets is a fantastic compliment/contrast that works well to give us a "bigger game".

I think GW has done an awesome job with this, and as the WHQ line grows and we can tailor games to the style we each want to play, I think we're all going to be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hopeful that Warhammer Quest will become a series. i am likely being overly optimistic though - it would be great if we got another undead themed set next towards the end of the year with new enemy rules, tiles and some more tweaks. The trouble is that peoples ability to buy will probably reduce as more sets come, although it may pick up newcomers still.

Will be interesting to see what happens next, i am sure new campaigns will likely come, maybe these will be in booklet form with enemy rules inside and a low expansion price, leaving people to buy models to fit the scenario outside of the package = i think this is most likely. These could be easily themed to undead or orc or lizard encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than whole new standalone games, I wish we'd see slightly smaller expansion boxes. Maybe a few new tiles, all of the enemies, a scenario book, and maybe one new hero. We really don't need four new heroes and an entire new set of everything with each release. The size/cost fatigue will begin to outweigh the benefit if it continues to go this route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Rather than whole new standalone games, I wish we'd see slightly smaller expansion boxes. Maybe a few new tiles, all of the enemies, a scenario book, and maybe one new hero. We really don't need four new heroes and an entire new set of everything with each release. The size/cost fatigue will begin to outweigh the benefit if it continues to go this route.

While I don't entirely disagree, I do think GW fans should largely be immune to cost fatigue by this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Van der Auwera
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
They should just optimize and relaunch the original Warhammer Quest, for a new generation.

Everything's already there to make this a HUGE hit. We got the heroes (Silver Tower). We got 2 settings (Silver Tower and Hammerhall) although those are bit too Age of Sigmar oriented IMHO - though I fully understand why.

Now give us a classic fantasy setting, incorporate all the rules that work, add in some generic fantasy monsters and heroes and tweak all that was out of balance with the Original WQ.

SCORE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I also hope they start mixing it up - big box set here, medium expansion there, small expansions now and then. Similar to what Flying Frog has done with Shadows of Brimstone: a few large core sets, several medium expansions (with tiles and minis, plus new adventures), and then monster packs. Fingers crossed GW keeps the momentum going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistral2013 wrote:
They should just optimize and relaunch the original Warhammer Quest, for a new generation.

Everything's already there to make this a HUGE hit. We got the heroes (Silver Tower). We got 2 settings (Silver Tower and Hammerhall) although those are bit too Age of Sigmar oriented IMHO - though I fully understand why.

Now give us a classic fantasy setting, incorporate all the rules that work, add in some generic fantasy monsters and heroes and tweak all that was out of balance with the Original WQ.

SCORE!

They will never go back to a classic old world fantasy setting. AoS is the fantasy setting now. And thank god! It is awesome. Why would anyone want to return to generic fantasy, with generic fantasy monsters? We have plenty of options for that, including original WHQ.

We don't need a traditional fantasy setting to make old-school-style WHQ again. All they need to do is release a new WHQ roleplay book with an expanded bestiary, town phase, and random dungeon/traveling events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Sison
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm primarily interested in co-op gaming with my family gaming unit. What parts of Hammerhal can be ported over to Silver Tower for co-op and solo gaming?

Thanks for your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yodennis2000 wrote:
I'm primarily interested in co-op gaming with my family gaming unit. What parts of Hammerhal can be ported over to Silver Tower for co-op and solo gaming?

Thanks for your thoughts.

The heroes are all compatible. And the games are core rules level compatible (there are some differences to reflect the different settings). You can use all the adversaries and rule changes (if you'd like). They have a slightly different feel. (One is card generated and one is a crafted dungeon.)

From a solo perspective, SoH doesn't have any additional auto-dungeon creation capabilities. But the additional files allow you to create your own dungeons (with a little bit of work). And you can use ST adversaries in a SoH setting as exotic adversaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.