Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
In the words of my sister, this warms my cold, black heart:

I'm not really a manga or anime fan*, but otherwise I love Japanese culture, history, film, food, mythic monsters, yokai, kaiju, etc. So this particularly awesome for me to see.

*maybe some Studio Ghibli, and the fantastic, new One Punch Man cartoon. But that's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Carroll
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Cthulhu Wars Homebrewers Unite!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaaaaand now I want a Kaiju faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
msg tools
That is not how I have seen Cthulhu written in katakana before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will it ever be possible to order the sheets in multiple language (or cardboard for that fact)? I'd love to have both English and Japanese available since I live in Japan and have friends who speak both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
DAI INARU KUTURUFU! (The Great and Monstrous Cthulhu!)

Japanese T is quite sharp, so it does get the sound across. (Usually it'd be "Tsu", but by putting a small u after it, it becomes "tu".)

Ru and Fu are blended sounds more or less. "R"s are rolled, kinda like saying R and L simultaneously. Fu is the same, pronounced softly so it sounds like "fu" and "hu" mixed (in fu's case, it actually comes in the alphabet around ha, hi, fu, etc...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Void2258 wrote:
That is not how I have seen Cthulhu written in katakana before.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AF%E3%83%88%E3%82%A5%E3...

Looks legit to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
The guys who translated this were from ArcLight, the publisher who does Chaosium's (Sandy's) Call of Cthulhu RPG. So, the translation should be consistent with that - I'm sure there are many ways to translate things like "Elder Thing" and "Deep One" but I believe there is a consistent way done for mythos terms usually, and it should go along with those here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
markus
Austria
vienna
vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The spelling seems a bit contested though. Part 1 of the Wikipedia entry is about the pronunciation, the first paragraph explaining why this spelling was chosen for the entry. Yes, クトゥルフ seems to be a common transcription. But only because a famous Japanese translator of HP Lovecraft’s works went for this spelling, doesn’t automatically make it the best choice. According to Wikipedia the main reason given by translator Tadaaki Onishi was that he believed the spelling ‘to still be within tolerance of how the name might sound and that this spelling is even more unnatural’. I would argue that the 2nd most popular spelling クトゥルー should be given preference. It is a better representation of the now common pronunciation that goes back to R.H. Barlow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Anderson
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will these be made available for all the factions? This might be a good way to get my wife (she's Japanese and still not really comfortable with English) into this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.