A.J Sinett
msg tools
I've slowly, but surely, been getting my friends away from whipping out CaH every break we have. I introduced them to Love Letter first and they loved it, then Hanabi, Forbidden Island, and Castle Panic. They loved all of them. I will probably bring The Grizzled next week for them and eventually BaHotH.

Is there anything that would be a really good game to buy for our group. We really just love story elements and narration/thematics. We love competition equally as much as Coop so any suggestions would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness maybe? The addition of the app makes it pretty simple to play. There is a lot of...stuff so that might make it feel overwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Above and Below

Its competitive, has nice little story elements as you explore and isn't too mentally taxing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Dunn
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Agents of SMERSH is what you're looking for. Storytelling like Tales of the Arabian Nights, but there is an actual game involved. Lots of laughs and a slightly-over-the-top James-Bond-esque theme. The game itself is co-op and pretty easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
while not strictly a great fit for your question - I'm betting your group would enjoy Sheriff of Nottingham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game or any of the D&D games such as Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game and don't forget Legends of Andor hope these help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be a little heavy, but Mice and Mystics is a good story driven game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Thematic, story driven campaign, RPG elements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Velez
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get a copy of Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, it kind of has that choose your own adventure feel. You are presented with a scenario and then as a group you decide the best way to tackle it. Although you are not given a set of narratives to read, you kind of develop and experience your own, unique story. Be forewarned, this game is not easy but is super fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SnarksandBoojums wrote:
It might be a little heavy, but Mice and Mystics is a good story driven game.

I so hated that rulebook. It might be a problem for new gamers. The game itself is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
while not strictly a great fit for your question - I'm betting your group would enjoy Sheriff of Nottingham

I'm sorry, but this game is interesting for one session. Tops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your group could easily play up the story elements in Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu its a fun game with cool minis and is an excellent stepping stone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal L
Switzerland
Attalens
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Legends of Andor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
Calcapone wrote:
Maybe Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game or any of the D&D games such as Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game and don't forget Legends of Andor hope these help.

I didn't care for the Dungeon & Dragons board games. They're combat oriented dungeon crawlers with any RPG element stripped down to its most simple principals. Despite its random potentials at their basic core they are mind numbingly redundant and can wear thin after awhile. You are basically fighting your way through monsters or hordes of monsters on every tile. Not very imaginative. Very watered down D&D with a strong emphasis on combat (almost a grind-like in nature). IMHO, •yawn• booorrrring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.