6 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: SWR Tournament Results rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex M
United States
flag msg tools
I thought I posted this previously, but I guess I didn't get past the preview section.

We wrapped up our 16 contestant double elimination tournament recently. Jozrael was the victor, with Sharogy a notable contestant that finished second.

Of interest to this forum, we collected some data from the games.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eeRE8Ht-IjI9k0kF5TwC...

The takeaways:

--Not enough games to really warrant many conclusions from the systems, but some insight.

--The bid system appears to need tweaking -- it never really seemed to influence the outcome (we used 1 bid = 1 extra triangle unit if you lose the bid for your chosen faction).

--By far the most interesting takeaway: Rebels had a large lead in games during the first half of the tournament. Toward the end, in the higher tier brackets, the Imperials won more consistently. This implies that Rebels might have more of an advantage for less skilled/less experienced games; but Imperials have more advantage for the higher skill/experience players. But over the entire tourney, it became reasonably balanced.

--Most Imp victory games ended T6-T7, with only one victory in T8. So if you're Empire, I'd say that is your milestone, if you can't put it in the bag by T7 or see it happening shortly thereafter, it's an anomaly if you win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Great data. Did I miss stats on Rebel base location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Results sound about right. The rebels really are easier to play starting out. It's too easy for the Imperials to get lost in the game of rebel whack-a-mole, losing sight of the main objective to find the rebel base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some hints in there about impact of starting planets as well.

As you noted, not enough data for absolute conclusions, but interesting to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex M
United States
flag msg tools
There's certainly more things, in hindsight we should've tracked. Rebel Base location(s) and Rebel Reputation marker at end game could've been helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Private Blinky
msg tools
Tourney participant here, just wanted to say how much of a blast playing and watching this from start to finish.

I unfortunately came up goose eggs in the win column; the first one I was one single activation away from winning, so very close. The second one...I got blown out of the space water, Rebels played a tough one for sure. But I enjoyed it throughout, and was awesome to see the eventual results once all the dust had settled.

Congrats to Jozrael for the overall win. Sharogy put up vids of some of his final matches on YouTube, they're really interesting to watch.

And finally a HUGE bowl of thanks to Eskandaer for all the hard work he put though for getting the tourney set up and running throughout. I imagine there will be some tweaks and adjustments needed to maybe streamline any future tourneys, but this one still worked well for just a casual tourney focusing more on participation and playing than straight elimination. Great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.