Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: rules clarification for beginner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex M
United States
flag msg tools
New to game. Worst manual I've read.

Played 7/8ish quick games. Of those, I've only seen 1 wound; most enemies get wiped before they even fire. Nearly no difficulty whatsoever. I'm thinking I might misunderstand some rules or something so here's some questions.

1) Weapon attachments: ACOG + forward grip; different attachments but is there a limit on how many attachments? is it only 1 per weapon even if 'real life' it fits?

2) Reload: Empty Mag triggers if you roll an attack die equal to or less than the Reload value on the attack profile. Does this include or exclude modifiers? Ex. A M249 with ACOG (+1 attack), if it includes modifiers, means you can never get a 1, meaning a MG that has an infinite ammo cheat on, never reloading. Is this accurate?

3) Number of kills/suppressions. With an auto weapon, you roll 3 attack dice. If you attack a hostile with 3 reticles, can you potentially get 3 kills? If you defeat cover, and roll 3 attack successes; that equals 3 kills? If you defeat cover, but roll 2 successes; that equals 2 kills and 1 suppress? If you defeat cover, but roll 1 success; that equals 1 kill and 2 suppreses or 1 suppress? If you roll 3 attack successes, but do not defeat cover; that equals no kills, but 3 suppreses? or 1 suppress?

4) XP/Action card cost. Any soldier can contribute xp for upgun. What about for activating cards? Player Soldier plays action card requiring 2 xp cost; can any soldier play that xp or is it only able to be paid by the player soldier playing the card?

5) Movement: If you have enough actions/entrance payment, can you move the same soldier twice? Or is it only 1 per round per soldier?

6) Objective: you can activate an objective while adjacent. In the case of Escape Mission, what does this mean? Run the hell away to the mission card? You don't have to enter the objective site at all?

7) Limits on skills: Is there a count limit on skills a soldier has? Is there a count limit on weapons/equipment (aside from loadout cost/any card text)?

8) Player/NPS/Squad -- The special player soldiers seem to be far too expensive resource-wise to warrant their use -- am I missing something? The NPS are often less efficient than squad, but their advantage is that they can be given some additional gear, no? Squad do not get gear/skills/anything. It's not often I see use for a NPS vs a player, though simply due to the need to draw locations via a player -- which has really been the only difficulty I've encountered -- RNG on being able to even progress in the mission by drawing cards.

Pedantic question (sorry):
9) if this game is calling itself a special forces card game, why do most of the ranks/images/units of the Soldier cards consist of a bunch of POGs?

Thanks to anyone that attempts to fix my confusion.

So far I think this game has interesting premises, but I'm feeling like a 203 and a 249 are just mowing everything down with little to no strategy. Hopefully I'm missing something here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Lot of questions there and most of them have been asked and answered previously. Have you done any searching in this rules folder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found this game to be too terribly challenging as written, especially when playing one-off missions. Good equipment selection and a play style that manages unnecessary risks make things much easier. One house rule I use is that hostiles don't select a target until the start of their attack phase -- keeps me from being able to game the system by knowing that I can safely ignore a range zero baddie for a turn.

1. Pile on the attachments, as long as you can afford the points and the loadout cost. With the expansions, I often run a suppressed battle rifle with a red-dot sight and dual mags. It rocks.

2. Reload is always unmodified. So a natural 2 or less on most weapons empties the magazine.

3. With an automatic weapon, you're limited to a single kill or suppression. You get more chances to hit your target, but also more chances to run out of ammo. Explosive attacks, on the other hand, generate a kill, suppression or miss for each individual die.

4. As far as I know any XP expenditure can be used by any soldier. The only reason they're kept separate (I believe) is that if a soldier gets killed his XP goes with him.

5. Each soldier can only move one location a turn, no exceptions.

6. In escape missions you start on the objective card and work your way back to the mission card. It activates at the start of the mission no matter what: draw some baddies and start running/shooting!

7. No limits on skills or equipment aside from loadout costs.

8. Player soldiers are nice in that they each give you a hand of action cards -- I think that alone justifies some of their cost. Squad soldiers are nice in that they give you a shooter who will never run out of ammo. NPSs are nice in that they can be a cheap way to bring along some extra gear -- medkits, suppressed weapons, grenades, etc. I've found them all useful at different points. Some missions I really need to have the right gear on hand, others call for a wall of flying lead.

9. Couldn't tell ya!

Hope that helps a bit. Wish I could cite the pages in the rulebook but I'm at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Pedantic question (sorry):
9) if this game is calling itself a special forces card game, why do most of the ranks/images/units of the Soldier cards consist of a bunch of POGs?

I believe, and Dan Verssen can correct me if this isn't the case, that Dan sent out a call either through the DVG forums or here at BGG for people to submit photos of themselves or relatives in active service. The idea being was that way, all photos were authorized and were no rights issues. It was a kind of a tip of the hat/thank you for all service members for their service.

Obviously pictures of actual special force operators would be problematic.

As for the other points, Pete's answered everything correctly as far as I can make out. I will make the following additional points, in case it isn't obvious.

Quote:
2) Reload: Empty Mag triggers if you roll an attack die equal to or less than the Reload value on the attack profile. Does this include or exclude modifiers? Ex. A M249 with ACOG (+1 attack), if it includes modifiers, means you can never get a 1, meaning a MG that has an infinite ammo cheat on, never reloading. Is this accurate?

As Pete noted, this is not accurate. Any unmodified die roll of that number or less will result in an empty magazine. Similarly, the jam roll is also unmodified, affected only by the No Jam attribute.

Warfighter 2nd Ed. Rulebook, page 12 wrote:
Attack modifiers do not adjust your roll until after you check for Reload.

Quote:
3) Number of kills/suppressions. With an auto weapon, you roll 3 attack dice. If you attack a hostile with 3 reticles, can you potentially get 3 kills? If you defeat cover, and roll 3 attack successes; that equals 3 kills? If you defeat cover, but roll 2 successes; that equals 2 kills and 1 suppress? If you defeat cover, but roll 1 success; that equals 1 kill and 2 suppreses or 1 suppress? If you roll 3 attack successes, but do not defeat cover; that equals no kills, but 3 suppreses? or 1 suppress?

As Pete has already mentioned, unless you have a special skill that allows you to do otherwise (I believe there is a machine gunner skill that is along those lines), you may only ever get one KIA or suppress result with each (non-explosive) attack. This is a really big factor if you were playing it so that a weapon could get multiple kills - it would make the game on average 200% easier.

Not mentioned by you but a common mistake by new players which make people think it's much easier, if you get multiple kill results, you cannot ever affect more than one hostile card, even with explosives. Explosives allow you to get multiple KIAs/suppressions on hostile reticles on the same cards, but never on multiple cards.

Quote:
4) XP/Action card cost. Any soldier can contribute xp for upgun. What about for activating cards? Player Soldier plays action card requiring 2 xp cost; can any soldier play that xp or is it only able to be paid by the player soldier playing the card?

I'm pretty sure the rulebook and the examples are clear on this.

Any soldier can pay XP costs for location cards. pg 6.

Any soldier can pay XP for upgunning. pg 6

Any soldier can pay XP costs for retaining cards, pg 7

Any soldier can pay XP costs for playing action cards, pg 5

Wording is:

Warfighter 2nd Ed. Rulebook, page 5 wrote:
Some Action cards have an Experience Point cost to play. Any Soldier can contribute Experience Points to pay the cost.

It should be noted that if a card requires the payment of an action or card, it must always be paid by the soldier performing the action or moving. You cannot pay actions or cards for other players.

Quote:
5) Movement: If you have enough actions/entrance payment, can you move the same soldier twice? Or is it only 1 per round per soldier?

Warfighter 2nd Ed. Rulebook, page 15 wrote:

Each Soldier can only Move once during each Soldier Turn.

Playing with the Jungle Terrain set and Cartel hostiles is only a challenge for beginners on most missions and profiles. There's a pretty hefty jump up to the Middle East Insurgents on the Middle East terrain, and another again up to the Middle East Military, and AGAIN to the East European adversaries.

The difficulty ratchets up with custom missions in the mission book that comes with the foot locker as well as surviving campaigns. Another way to adjust difficulty is to use "historical" or "standard-issue only" weapons, instead of the common mix-and-match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex M
United States
flag msg tools
Thank you gents for the answers.

Regarding POGs, that's just me being an ass. There's a military reality and there's a gaming reality depicting military things -- I enjoy some crossover, but sometimes it gets messy when the lines get a bit crossed. ie. Real Soldiers images on something that is notionally killing and dying. But I guess I can get behind the thank you intent for those that like the attention.

Jam roll... hrm I must have missed something about that and will have to look into that. Is it something that triggers on auto shots or in specific circumstances?

This means I was doing Reload wrong, so there's that.

Each weapon only does 1 kill OR suppression (or miss)? or is it up to 1 kill AND suppression? If I'm reading you right, it's the former, but I just wanted to confirm.

And the exception to this is specifically Explosion. Nothing else eh? A MG won't suppress an entire fire team; noted.

That makes another very large difference. I had a guy with a MG and 3 actions, able to mow just about every wave down with the each attack die = potential kill/suppression.

I think these few things will ramp up the difficulty a bit. Thank you much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Koop
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, each non explosive weapon does only 1 kill OR 1 suppression, never both or more than 1.
(ignoring skills and action cards)

what is also often done wrong(but not mentioned by you) ist that new players refresh their action cards hand at the start of the player turn.

You don't get action cards automatically and have to use an action to draw action cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.