Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Gilbank
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this topic has been done to death but I still have a questions regarding monster focus. Do all monsters attack the the same target always.

In the first campaign we had no tank (stupid us) and ended up with archers just wrecking us from a distance. Where whomever was the closest or went first was just getting hit by all attacks.

I have been looking to see if it says it anywhere that they will spread out attacks across the different characters but have yet to see anything of the sort unless I'm blind. Or is this how it should work.

Hypothetically: If the Mindtheif is 2 hex's away from 3 archers and everyone else is 3 and they have range 3 this round and the mindtheif has the lowest initiative he will take all 3 attacks from the archers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dyne1319 wrote:
I know this topic has been done to death but I still have a questions regarding monster focus. Do all monsters attack the the same target always.

In the first campaign we had no tank (stupid us) and ended up with archers just wrecking us from a distance. Where whomever was the closest or went first was just getting hit by all attacks.

I have been looking to see if it says it anywhere that they will spread out attacks across the different characters but have yet to see anything of the sort unless I'm blind. Or is this how it should work.

Hypothetically: If the Mindtheif is 2 hex's away from 3 archers and everyone else is 3 and they have range 3 this round and the mindtheif has the lowest initiative he will take all 3 attacks from the archers?

Yes, that's right. If 1 character is closest to all of the monsters, they're in for a bad round. We sometimes play with no dedicated tank (Scoundrel, Mindthief, Spellweaver, Tinkerer) and we plan out who's going to take it in the face (be the pin cushion) when we have to. With some planning, you can shield up or be invisible or find a way to get the monsters to focus on more than 1 character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't Mice and Mystics, where the attacks can be spread out between characters.

The closest character ( or if tied, the one with lower initiative) is going to be the focus of each enemy attack.

So this requires players to plan accordingly and work together. Also requires players to heal others that make the sacrifice to get closest to the enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Dyne1319 wrote:

Yes. This is why the Mindthief shouldn't do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
You are understanding it correctly. The way to get around that is to arrange yourselves so that some of the monsters are closer to one person, and others are closer to another person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
Dyne1319 wrote:

Yes. This is why the Mindthief shouldn't do that.

Our mindthief is invisible when she does that, so it works out just fine... for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dyne1319 wrote:

Just adding that the initiative of the Mindthief has no effect on who the Monsters Focus on in this instance since he is closer to the archers.
Initiative only matters to break ties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure that you get a couple heroes to split the wave of attacks. That seems to work well for my tankless party. It can be tricky in corridors, though. You might have to draw them through a choke point. Or, plan for some shielding. Either way will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.