Ryan Messick
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designedbyryno.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A little bit of context:
I have run half of three Imperial Assault campaigns with two different groups and half of one Descent campaign with another different group. For whatever reason, my groups keep losing interest about half way through and we never finish. While the side missions can be fun and great experiences (of what I've played or read about so far), I want to try to cut them out but not completely. I'm prepping to start a new Imperial Assault campaign with a whole new group (that has never played this game before).

I need your help and ideas here...

Variant Idea 1:
Normal side mission setup and pick/forced, but instead of playing it, we roll for it...
-Is this roll just 50/50 win/lose?
-Do we have some kind of roll off between imperial and rebel players?
-Is there some clever to calculate imperial vs rebel strength to change the odds of the roll?
Then, rewards given.

Variant Idea 2:
Normal side mission setup and pick/forced, but instead of playing it...
-RPG style, the imperial player rolls it secretly and just weaves a story into what happened in between missions and the rewards given. This roll should be fine 50/50 win/lose I think.

Variant Idea 3:
Normal side mission setup and pick/forced, but instead of playing it...
-Some kind of Star Wars themed tie breaker mini-game of ANY kind (I can't think of any though)...

Let me know what you think and would love your ideas / criticisms on the whole thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis S
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be better to just play the mini campaigns from twin shadows or Bespin Gambit.

Shorter version and don't feel like missed opportunities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Messick
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designedbyryno.com
mbmbmbmbmb
sithbunny36 wrote:
Might be better to just play the mini campaigns from twin shadows or Bespin Gambit.

Thanks for the feedback, I am aware of this option, but am entertaining the idea of allowing play through of the larger campaigns without requiring the time for all the side missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
D) Without playing the side mission slot, give each player 1XP, 150cr per hero and 2 influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
D) Without playing the side mission slot, give each player 1XP, 150cr per hero and 2 influence.

This.

Another idea:
Tie in side mission reward with Story Mission reward. There is intro + 4 story missions and 5 side missions in each campaign

Select a side mission before playing the story, winner gets reward from side as well. Maybe give some compensation to loser (else the game may snowball). Or reward the side mission victory to whoever loses the story mission, keeps things balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryno80 wrote:
sithbunny36 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, I am aware of this option, but am entertaining the idea of allowing play through of the larger campaigns without requiring the time for all the side missions.

Or just half the number of side missions, giving out default XP/credit/influence reward for the ones you skip.

So 1 story mission in the first half of the game and 1 at the 2nd half. Maybe a 3rd somewhere if you feel you have time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Story missions tend to be tougher on the Rebels than Side missions. Cutting Side missions out might also doom your campaign as the players might tire of getting beaten down. Maybe ignoring influence would take the Imperial player down a bit and give the rebels some hope, especially if you plan to run the core campaign.

I second the recommendation on running one of the mini-campaigns. They keep the balance of story and side missions, let the heroes buff fast and give a full story arc in the 5 or so missions you are shooting for.

The fan created, 4 mission Edge of Oblivion mini-campaign was good quick fun. I recommend it if you have Alliance Smuggler, Obi-wan, Inquisitor, Greedo and Bantha Rider.

Great work Tvboy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as the rolling goes- maybe something like you read through the flavor test of each mission- then, when you need to read more flavor text, you roll. On a "1", you fail and read the loss text.

I mean, no matter what, it's going to be hard to replicate a balanced game, but at least this way the game doesn't lose story. Almost kinds feels D&D like with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thuddeus wrote:

The fan created, 4 mission Edge of Oblivion mini-campaign was good quick fun. I recommend it if you have Alliance Smuggler, Obi-wan, Inquisitor, Greedo and Bantha Rider.

Great work Tvboy!

Thank you! I'm glad someone enjoyed my idea. The only reason I found this post is because I'm trying to decide if I want to do the same thing for Wave IX, but wasn't sure how Edge of Oblivion was going over with the community so I googled it and only found this thread.

Maybe if I can work more efficiently this time and get it out before Heart of the Empire I'll get more feedback from the community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.