Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Star Patrol» Forums » General

Subject: Star Patrol: Correct Components? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I received the game an odd month back. Read the rules and looked it over. So far so good.

But, I have some questions based on the KS Campaign:

- Reversible hex map - implying two sided but mine is not
- Campaign showed 18 Weapon and Upgrade summary cards. These are not included but a sheet explaining the device is. So it was a substitution?
- Modular Grav Wells - not included
- Under Siege Expansion includes the Space Station, Star Base, Fortified Planet and the Tractor Beam but the next four items (in the KS list) either were changed out or renamed...

I hate to drop this in public on BGG but there wasn't any specific contact info on your web site (other than comments)

I also never read the long list of Comments and Updates so my questions may well be answered already.

Thanks

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least you got the game. There is at least one guy still waiting to even hear if the game is shipping.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nico ..
France
villecresnes
france
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting too
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Papp
United States
Richmond
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the components, it seems I have the same set as you. I didn't actually verify against campaign details, but the two things that stood out to me:

- Hex map: only comes with one single-sided sheet, and the way it's cut implies there are others to connect to get a larger play area. In fact, I believe the game space would play better with two sheets.
- Systems chits: a little unbalanced distribution. There are a lot of fighter bays, for example, but it seems only one Shields.

The game presents some cool starship simulation mechanics, but isn't complete. It's something you'll need to flesh out the gaps and build on. E.g. your own hex map, with your own custom plants and gravity wells marked. Maybe someone will upload some print and play elements.

Same for "Scenarios" - there are rules for Space Stations and Star Bases, but it's not clear the best way to include them in your setup.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cooke
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So you actually have the game? So many problems with this one. I hope he will send me what he said he will. If there are any other problems I am not bothered I just want him to actually say what is going on
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is what we get (once the rest of us gets it). There are some comments about this on the Kickstarter page, buried.

Seems he promised more than he was able to deliver.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael_Olsen wrote:
Yes, that is what we get (once the rest of us gets it). There are some comments about this on the Kickstarter page, buried.

Seems he promised more than he was able to deliver.


Do you remember the details why? Was it ever discussed in one of the updates, or just the comments section?

I feel bad for Chris (the creator). I think this campaign has beaten him and he won't be designing anymore games again. I'm not personally upset as the game was cheap and I've lost larger amounts on Kickstarter items not delivering (not just game related stuff). Mostly I'm just disappointed as it seems all his excitement for game design has disappeared and I think he will become a hermit once this is totally behind him. That's too bad.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Michael_Olsen wrote:
Yes, that is what we get (once the rest of us gets it). There are some comments about this on the Kickstarter page, buried.

Seems he promised more than he was able to deliver.


Do you remember the details why? Was it ever discussed in one of the updates, or just the comments section?


All I remember is people receiving it saying exactly what was said above: The list of items on the Kickstarter page did not match what they received.
One person made a thorough list which looks like the above. I believe it was 1-2 months back if you want to search for it (but I could be wrong about the date).

It is a shame with Chris, yes. I feel bad for him also. We are all just human.
That said I have purchased 3 of his games, received 2 and it seems the quality is so consistently bad I might as well have bought myself a "real" game instead.
I love the idea of micro games. I love that we do not need large minis or whatnot to have good games. But they have to be, well, good.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael_Olsen wrote:
That said I have purchased 3 of his games, received 2 and it seems the quality is so consistently bad I might as well have bought myself a "real" game instead.
I love the idea of micro games. I love that we do not need large minis or whatnot to have good games. But they have to be, well, good.


Do you mean the quality of components or the quality in gameplay? Like did you enjoy playing his previous games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Michael_Olsen wrote:
That said I have purchased 3 of his games, received 2 and it seems the quality is so consistently bad I might as well have bought myself a "real" game instead.
I love the idea of micro games. I love that we do not need large minis or whatnot to have good games. But they have to be, well, good.


Do you mean the quality of components or the quality in gameplay? Like did you enjoy playing his previous games?


I mean the quality of the gameplay (and rules) are below par.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think part of that is the micro game format? Like the nature of a micro game means it can only be so good?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Do you think part of that is the micro game format? Like the nature of a micro game means it can only be so good?


I do not think that is the problem. I mean, I am not expecting modern classics or anything. Just something where the rules make sense (I am looking at you Carrier Commander) and with some decent decision making.

And since I mentioned Carrier Commander, here is what you can do with a postcard:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30081/salvo
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah fair enough. I don't have experience with that one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Martin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Cold ass honky
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He doesn't communicate save for what he feels are clever comments once every six months. He refunded my pledge after many months of me requesting updates. Apparently, that was easier for him.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattdocmartin wrote:
He doesn't communicate save for what he feels are clever comments once every six months. He refunded my pledge after many months of me requesting updates. Apparently, that was easier for him.


Interesting. How dod you contact him? Via Kickstarter messages? Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bangerter
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were several things. I think the big ones were the component factory getting flooded (or something like that), and then the components being too heavy to ship.

There were like, three or four other things as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.