Popular Tags: [View All]
Deric W
United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for suggestions about which four colonies would be best for teaching new players a game through eras I and II. Is there an "ideal mix" for making a good first experience, or should I just randomly assign as the setup rules dictate?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Altruist - Free stuff and a discount on some actions

Envoy - Extra meeple sooner

Storekeepers - Extra storage

Industrialist (?) - I may have this name wrong, but the one where you can convert wood to planks in production in era 1 and make then planks and bricks in era 2

That said, I have yet to play with a bad mix of colonies. One or two of the colonies don't really do much in the solo game, but you don't need to worry about that.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Kyle A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You really need to play them all and many times before you grasp how to best make use of each, considering at times a powerful single colony does better than 2 less developed ones. The only one I never used so far is the laborer... but that's where it could prove most useful in a 2-era game, since it allows you to employ yellows into green buildings (the majority of yellow buildings come in era 3).

I say go with the rules: shuffle

New players need to learn the powers of them all and also learn how to combine their powers if they get 2 of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the game, two full solo games, and I really like the storekeeper and lord colonies. Extra storage and freedom of movement makes the the game much more simpler for new players IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A big issue with new players is with movement across the tiles and their obligatory actions to be taken. You really can't say the lord does it and the trader doesn't... because the trader allows you to swap goods, it means you don't need to go to the builder for the hollow since you can get clay every time you go to the market. And let's not forget the envoy colony: 2 stewards means each covers half of the map. It's all about movement... so the laborer is also ok because it means you don't need to remodel BOTH the farms and the flats.

The are all equally valuable and I think it's not really correct to say "this is better for a new player". What the new player really needs to understand is how to place the new tiles (create CORRIDORS to get to a particular building so you walk on tiles where you COLLECT instead of spending goods until you reach the destination) and when to grab the 1st player token.

In era 3 the 5th colony comes into play and that can be a game changer for a player with much room to build on. With that, we're 5 out of 9 which is more than 50%.

Takes time to learn but it gives GREAT rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.