Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a monster has invisibilty, can they be hit by AoE's that target hexes. Invisibility states they can't be targets, those attacks target a hex. Also, sort of makes since thematically that they would.
Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No they can't be attacked, by AoE or any other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they wouldn't be affected in that situation. But I recently saw Isaac answer a question regarding an AoE attack by the Cragheart that affects all adjacent figures. In that case, even invisible figures would be affected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
These threads explains why not

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1460872/invisibility-questi...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1736266/invisibility-and-mo...

(Need to be able to target them to be effected basically but as they are invisible you have no line of sight)

EDIT:
Quote:

I believe they wouldn't be affected in that situation. But I recently saw Isaac answer a question regarding an AoE attack by the Cragheart that affects all adjacent figures. In that case, even invisible figures would be affected.

This is mentioned in the top thread I believe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d w
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hahma wrote:

Yes, the Craghearts "affect all adjacent" abilities will damage invisible characters. It is not an attack so Invisibility does not protect against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Mcdonald
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thematically though why would invisbilty stop you from getting hit by a fireball that engulfs the space your in, even if the enemy wasn't targeting you the aoe still going into that space. Seems kinda wonky to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mac9891 wrote:
Thematically though why would invisbilty stop you from getting hit by a fireball that engulfs the space your in, even if the enemy wasn't targeting you the aoe still going into that space. Seems kinda wonky to me.

This isn't D&D. ;-)

Invisibility doesn't stop you from getting hit by a fireball that engulfs the space you're in.

See: Cragheart's Boulders. Invisible characters (friends and foes) do get hit by the splash damage.

See: All other AoE. They aren't fireballs that engulf the space that you're in. They're targeted abilities that affect each enemy individually in the designated area (you will note that interspersed allies are not affected).

At least, that's the way all AoE has come across to me so far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"If a figure is invisible, it cannot be focused on or targeted by an enemy." Page 23

If an ability does damage without needing to specifically target the recipient of the damage, it is not affected by invisibility.

As for how AoE's affect invisible targets, don't think of them as expanding in volume. Think of them as directed beams or missiles from a source point that you need to target mentally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Mcdonald
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
logris wrote:
mac9891 wrote:

This isn't D&D. ;-)

Invisibility doesn't stop you from getting hit by a fireball that engulfs the space you're in.

See: Cragheart's Boulders. Invisible characters (friends and foes) do get hit by the splash damage.

See: All other AoE. They aren't fireballs that engulf the space that you're in. They're targeted abilities that affect each enemy individually in the designated area (you will note that interspersed allies are not affected).

Just fought an enemy that attacks in a cone the other day, I have a hard time imagining that an inivisble guy between the targets and the monster could not get hit by it, but hey if that how the rules are that's fine, it just doesn't seem to fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
mac9891 wrote:

Just fought an enemy that attacks in a cone the other day, I have a hard time imagining that an inivisble guy between the targets and the monster could not get hit by it, but hey if that how the rules are that's fine, it just doesn't seem to fit.

Invisibility is where things get weird sometimes. As a puzzle piece it's fantastic. As a thematic element it requires some suspension of disbelief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
mac9891 wrote:

Invisibility is where things get weird sometimes. As a puzzle piece it's fantastic. As a thematic element it requires some suspension of disbelief.

One could look at it as the ally "hitting the deck" as a AoE attack is incoming.

I don't think of Invisibility as that the character is actually invisible only. They could be invisible in the literal sense, hiding in a shadow, ducking, dodging, unseen because of a smoke bomb etc.

The terms for many things in this game are there to trigger a certain mechanic effect, but don't have to be held strictly to that exact term. People should use there imagination to allow for a thematic interpretation of those terms, depending on the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mournful wrote:
mac9891 wrote:

I don't see how an enemy being invisible in the middle of a fire ball taking no damage is more wierd than an ally of the caster who stands visible in the middle of a fireball and also takes no damage.

This is a board game. Let's not get too deep into logics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mac9891 wrote:
logris wrote:
mac9891 wrote:

This isn't D&D. ;-)

Fair enough. I just make fun of the game when something like that happens. Everything I've seen so far, I can believe to my satisfaction. Even Flamethrower. I just imagine bursts of fire in a general area.

If a dragon were to rear up and cone AoE, I'd be able to imagine it was lobbing multiple balls of fire or globs of acid in rapid-fire sequence. It's just not the D&D dragon I grew up on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.