Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game: Game of the Year Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ability Swap rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two questions about Ability Swap:

1. If one of the abilities swapped is a token ability (for instance, Ability Swap itself), and a player has at least one token stored on that ability, what happens to the tokens?

Do they move to that ability's new color?

Do they just go away?

Do they stick around in case the color they're on ever becomes a token ability again (whether the same or different)?

2. Suppose I have 2 points of research in every color. If I use my yellow ability (suppose it's Improve Bean) and then swap yellow with red, can I use Improve Bean again, because I haven't 'used my red ability' this turn? Or can I not use it, because I've already used Improve Bean?

This particularly matters for mandatory/bad abilities like Research Grant. If I have two points of research in red (Research Grant) and zero in yellow (Hire Intern), can I swap red and yellow to avoid having to give anyone RP this turn?

For that matter, if Ability Swap causes multiple people to have levels in Hire Intern at the same time, what order do they pick interns in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one official rule should cover these situations. A token is never moved or removed until an ability or action tells it do so (or you decide to use it for something else).

So in the case of Interns, the tokens stay on the Interns. You only place a token onto the Intern Coaster when you reach the first level, so multiple tokens from different players are not placed. It may be in the FAQ, but not sure, but you can only have one of your tokens on the Intern Coaster, just in case you would reach the first level a second time due to this swapping.

2. BIG CAVEAT to what I'm about to say. You can only use the Ability Swap ability during "Activate" at the end of your turn. So what I'm typing below doesn't apply to your examples and you could not do what you asked.

You can swap abilities and use the ability a second time during Activate. The track grants you use of the ability, so even if you had reached 2x on each track, you could swap and reuse abilities.

Thanks, TC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers!

So, clarifying questions:

A. Suppose I have two points in red and zero in yellow. Hire Intern is currently yellow. Then someone swaps red and yellow. It sounds like (barring more Ability Swap) I just don't get an intern, because at the point when I reached 1X in red, it didn't give me an intern token, and now it's too late. Is that right?

B. Suppose I have two points in every track, including Ability Swap (green) which I still have the token for. Yellow is Improve Bean and brown is Research Grant. If I don't want to give you any RP, can I use Improve Bean during the Roll phase, then (during Activate) swap brown and yellow and then end my turn, saying "I know Research Grant is mandatory, but it's yellow now, and I already used the yellow track."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.