United States
Gates Mills
Ohio
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
Buying your rare games since 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
Later today, Playdek and Stone Blade will finally be releasing the War of Shadows expansion for the digital version of Ascension. It will be $3.99 upon its release, but almost all previous expansions are reduced to $0.99 until March 19. Meanwhile, the last released expansion, Dreamscape, is down to $1.99, so if you've been waiting for a sale on that, here's your chance to get it half off.

Ascension for iOS
Ascension for Android
Ascension on BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Affolter
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Purchased a few during the last sale and starting to get burnt out on them. Been waiting for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. I've really been enjoying Dreamscape. Maybe I can coax a couple of my friends to get it now.

Edit: After updating the Android app, I see War of Shadows in the in-app store for $4.99, but nothing else is on sale. Dreamscape is still $3.99, for example. Maybe later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cave
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also available on Steam for $9.99.
That price includes all expansions and promos including War of Shadows.
Easily the best bargain if you don't mind playing on PC.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/320430
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Gates Mills
Ohio
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
Buying your rare games since 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
Excellent. I've really been enjoying Dreamscape. Maybe I can coax a couple of my friends to get it now.

Edit: After updating the Android app, I see War of Shadows in the in-app store for $4.99, but nothing else is on sale. Dreamscape is still $3.99, for example. Maybe later?

I just checked on iOS and the sale prices are active. It's possible the updated prices haven't arrived to Android yet. If not, they should soon (per the Ascension Facebook page).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are there now on my android.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DGenerateKane
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tempting. I've been debating whether or not to get the expansions on android, or investing in the physical game. Since I can't find a copy of the Year One Collector's Edition for anywhere near a decent price, I think I'll just go digital. I kinda feel dirty not having the physical version though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
DGenerateKane wrote:
Tempting. I've been debating whether or not to get the expansions on android, or investing in the physical game. Since I can't find a copy of the Year One Collector's Edition for anywhere near a decent price, I think I'll just go digital. I kinda feel dirty not having the physical version though.

You'll probably never want to play it in person anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Varga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just have the base game and am getting bored of it - should I pick up the first bundle (RotF, SoS, IH and 3 promo cards for $5.50 CDN) and wait for another bundle/sale to come along? Seems like a good deal. Or just drop the coin on all 8 expansions for ~$11-12 bucks and skip the promos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DGenerateKane
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

Why do believe that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkandlong wrote:
I just have the base game and am getting bored of it - should I pick up the first bundle (RotF, SoS, IH and 3 promo cards for $5.50 CDN) and wait for another bundle/sale to come along? Seems like a good deal. Or just drop the coin on all 8 expansions for ~$11-12 bucks and skip the promos?

The promo packs have some interesting cards, but I don't play with most of them too often. (Promo Pack 4 is the best one anyway, and it isn't in the bundle). I think you're better off with buying sets -- each one is fairly different from the others, so they all present diverse experiences in a more global way than a few promos can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would the normal price on the bundle be, anyway? Has it been discounted down to $3.99 or is that normal?

Also, the way multiplayer works, would I be able to invite non-IAP-owning (or different-IAP-owning) friends into my games and have us all have access to the wider range of cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkandlong wrote:

The way Ascension was designed you were never really expected to mix base sets. Many of the cards are intended to "combo" with other card in their sets so mixing base sets dilutes the effects (and with the physical game leads to an unwieldy deck). Originally they alternated base sets and small sets that expanded on the current base set's mechanisms, but they dropped the small set idea after Darkness Unleashed.
The base sets really provide varied playing experiences, so buying it all at once might be overwhelming, and much of it would probably end up unplayed. Personally, I'm perpetually two sets behind: I buy the expansions the first time they hit 99 cents. The sets really have improved over the years, so I might actually suggest skipping the bundled sets and buying the other four 99 cent expansions instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DGenerateKane wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Why do believe that?

Many deckbuilders (or any card game with lots of shuffling) are vastly improved by playing them digitally, so all the setup and shuffling are handled automatically. Plus Ascension is one of the best digital implementations of this type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been wondering whether the recent expansions are any good... I think a lot of people haven't really played Ascension since Storm of Souls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DGenerateKane
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NicolasW wrote:
What would the normal price on the bundle be, anyway? Has it been discounted down to $3.99 or is that normal?

I'm pretty sure 3.99 is normal. I've glanced at them from time to time thinking about buying them and I feel like it has always been 3.99 for the bundle.

pk2317 wrote:
Many deckbuilders (or any card game with lots of shuffling) are vastly improved by playing them digitally, so all the setup and shuffling are handled automatically. Plus Ascension is one of the best digital implementations of this type of game.

I do admit eliminating setup/teardown time is a plus. However, as an avid deck builder fan, I actually enjoy shuffling my deck for some reason. I've actually had to catch myself shuffling my deck when it wasn't warranted on more than one occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mader
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up Ascension on Android yesterday, having never played it. Should I go right to the expansions (hard to pass up for the price), and if so, which should I get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stormy Waters
United States
Reminderville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
dsmader wrote:
I just picked up Ascension on Android yesterday, having never played it. Should I go right to the expansions (hard to pass up for the price), and if so, which should I get?

Try a game or two of base and if it seems your thing, grab them while on sale. I've enjoyed all of them enough to warrant a dollar a piece.

If you've played other deck builders with a "market" that is random (vs. something like Dominion where all cards are available), it's probably a good bet you will like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stormy Waters
United States
Reminderville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
DGenerateKane wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Why do believe that?

They don't think it be like it is but it do.

It is a light game and the playtime is like eight minutes on a tablet and closer to 30-60 IRL. I'd probably never play it IRL again. So many better deck builders out there now anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DGenerateKane wrote:
NicolasW wrote:

I'm pretty sure 3.99 is normal. I've glanced at them from time to time thinking about buying them and I feel like it has always been 3.99 for the bundle.

No, I'm pretty sure it was $6.99 yesterday. It was definitely more than 3.99 since that was the price of the individual expansions.

pk2317 wrote:

I agree with 80%. Ascension on mobile devices is great (really wish there was an undo, but otherwise great). The Steam version is a direct port, however, and the devs (through continued inaction) have made clear they aren't going to re-implement it. As a result, even though you can play the game in full-screen mode, there is essentially only one resolution and so the play area is simply larger and blurrier. As a result, you still have to magnify the cards to read them.

Even so, computerized Ascension (or Star Realms, or whatever) is the way to go. Some of the packs can result in crazy combos. Throw in those times you get 6-10 constructs, and can guarantee that I would have forgotten to activate some or I would have messed up the counting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marsh
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm hesitant in buying anything from Playdek, until they fix their broken Summoner Wars App. Look at how many people are having issues on Android with just a black screen and sound playing in the background.

I decided to buy all of the expansions for Summoner Wars and put it on my tablet....and all I get is a black screen. Wasted my money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stormy Waters
United States
Reminderville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Clevider wrote:
As a result, even though you can play the game in full-screen mode, there is essentially only one resolution and so the play area is simply larger and blurrier. As a result, you still have to magnify the cards to read them.

Oh god, that is horrible. Glad you pointed that out or I might have purchased it for the rare occasion I want to play on my PC. I despised playing on my 7 inch tablet as I had to zoom in every card.

SouEu wrote:
I'm hesitant in buying anything from Playdek, until they fix their broken Summoner Wars App. Look at how many people are having issues on Android with just a black screen and sound playing in the background.

I decided to buy all of the expansions for Summoner Wars and put it on my tablet....and all I get is a black screen. Wasted my money.

If it was Google, you can get a refund. Not sure about Amazon or other stores though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strmtrper6 wrote:
Clevider wrote:
As a result, even though you can play the game in full-screen mode, there is essentially only one resolution and so the play area is simply larger and blurrier. As a result, you still have to magnify the cards to read them.

Oh god, that is horrible. Glad you pointed that out or I might have purchased it for the rare occasion I want to play on my PC. I despised playing on my 7 inch tablet as I had to zoom in every card.

On the plus side, as was previously pointed out, the cost ($10 when not on sale) gets you all of the current and future expansion packs. I've feel I've gotten my money's worth. Although I grimaced at the thought of paying again to have access on my phone (and tablet, etc.), it is nice to be able to try all the expansions on the computer first and to only buy those I that really want on my mobile devices.

Strmtrper6 wrote:
SouEu wrote:

If it was Google, you can get a refund. Not sure about Amazon or other stores though.

I would add that you have to claim the refund within, I think, 30 min. of making the purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Maier
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty unimpressed with War of Shadows. The dual cost things are neat, but they're still mostly rehashing powers that have appeared in other sets. The day/night thing is new, but that just means that you buy cards with secondary powers that don't always go off.

I don't like that each set is designed for standalone play. Sure, it helps with combos and stuff, but I'd like for some of the bigger mechanics to appear in more than one set. Event cards, for example, belong in every expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
SouEu wrote:

I had the same issue and after some research, found out that there is an extremely simple solution! You have to go to the individual permissions of Summoner Wars and enable whatever permission that was not granted by default (I can't remember exactly what it was in my case, possibly storage?). This fixed my black screen issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.