Subject: When can we expect reviews? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda feel FFG are behind on building hype outside their own site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty 27
Canada
Grande Prairie
flag msg tools
mb
I have plenty of faith in FFG's showmanship and preview article writing. GAMA is just around the corner and they have made a fair number of announcements but hopefully we get some more reviews.

Because yeah there was one French guy that got the game early for review but I haven't seen any other pictures or review articles. The game was demo'd in Cannes recently but I didn't hear much from that.

I know I got my preorder on lock down and I am hungry for more news. The articles they write help wet the appetite some but the part of the game I am most eager to see is what they do with upgrade cards and spellcasters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty 27
Canada
Grande Prairie
flag msg tools
mb
Ghosts of the Past
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/3/8/the-ghos...

Neat. I like how the Worm spews blight. That's cool. Also you can see how the reanimate archers attack has the ranged symbol. Will the Casters have a Magic Symbol for their attacks do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has always danced to their own tune which is good for the most part. They will let the game go when ready and then people can review the play. FFG always prides themselves on their production level and do not let unfinished demo copies out for review. At least that's how it has been in the past. I am pretty sure our wait for the final product is not too far away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty 27
Canada
Grande Prairie
flag msg tools
mb
Just to add to the discussion. The french fellow did not appear to have an incomplete copy of the game. By all appearances seemed to be the full game with all the detailed miniatures and books. So it would be reasonable to assume that is not the only copy that was airmailed over the pond. Thus they likely have some copies ready to go to reviewers.

In my own opinion I would not be surprised if there are others there under reviewer embargo just waiting for it to lift. Or at least that is what the whispers in my head tell me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Early reviews are typically just puff-piece softballs served up by existing fanboys anyway, so we all know how those are going to go. The real test will be when it filters down to folks who haven't already bought into the hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houlès Vianney
France
Rennes
France
flag msg tools
Dusty27 wrote:

Because yeah there was one French guy that got the game early for review but I haven't seen any other pictures or review articles. The game was demo'd in Cannes recently but I didn't hear much from that.

I had the opportunity to play it at Cannes (initiation scenario), and wrote a review (+incomplete rules explanation) here, in French, but hopefully, Google will provide you with a fair translation (not too much slang).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, Joey Eddy (drivethrureviews) mentioned playing it in his 'GAMA 2017 highlights' video during the ASOIAF portion. He sounded pretty underwhelmed. He seems to like more standard minis games with freeform movement; I don't think he liked the trays and movement templates.
https://youtu.be/d43SvnmIsSQ?t=3m25s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Marco likes pretty much everything he reviews, but even he gave it a tepid generic "I like it" (which for most people means, "Ehh... I guess it's okay.") and the dreaded "it's solid" (which for most people means, "Ehh... it was boring, but I'm trying to be nice here.")

Descriptors Marco used:
"Not groundbreaking"
"Typical"
"Clunky dials"
"Not that light of a wargame"
"I will not give it an unconditional recommendation because it's expensive and you may have other games similar to it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Marco likes pretty much everything he reviews, but even he gave it a tepid generic "I like it" (which for most people means, "Ehh... I guess it's okay.")

I think it's only fair to point out - just so people have a frame of reference - that Marco also said of the X-wing miniatures game: "I like it". Make of that what you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering Adepticon is going on in Chicago and every person that got on of their swag bags got a FREE copy of this game. I assume we will start to see reviews of this game.

I Hope get a game of it early next week when my friend that has a copy gets back into town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While hidden simultaneous selection with initiative order has been in Euros (eg. Havana), I don't see it often in miniature wargames. The custom dice also allow effects, such as stun, and the use of surges that allow units to have thematic effects.

I think if this game came out before Kings of War or Frostgrave, it would have had a better chance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.