Subject: Influence and a random draw-from-bag rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Parmenter
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone give me any thought son this? I have no idea if there's a game that works this way already or not, or if it seems too strange to work, etc.

Four-player game where the goal is to have the most 'influence' over certain groups. Each group is represented by a small, opaque bag that starts with four clear cubes inside. Each player has a hidden stash of cubes of their color.

On each player's turn, they pick a bag, withdraw two cubes, show them to all, and add them to their (hidden) stash, then add two cubes (hidden) from their stash to the bag. then remove a cube in their stash from the game. (The idea being that you control game length by the starting stash size; 7 cubes will be 7 turns, etc.)

So the first time someone withdraws from a bag, it goes from 4 Clear to 2 Clear, 2 player 1. If you go back to the same back on turn 2 and nobody has touched it, you have a 50% of withdrawin 1 clear 1 Player 1, and probably putting back two Player 1. But a 25% you do nothing, and a 25% you now have all four cubes of your color.

So at the end of the game, each bag is emptied out one by one, and if anyone has more influence in that bag than anyone else, they get the benefits of that bag (points, move a cube somewhere, etc).

And some bags would be 'bad influence', where if you took another player's influence from a bag, you can try to put it in the 'bad bag' to cost them victory points at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Joker
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
* Is this the whole game? If not, it also depends on the overarching game.
* If yes, maybe you could add a risk-reward-system. You can decide, how many you draw, but you don't want to or may not draw one of your own?
* In my opinion the consequences of drawing should be more immediate and severe, than just changing the distribution in different bags.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There are some games out, with cubes or chips in bags or cups.

I also had the idea, that it could be a nice idea to add a political system to a strategy game. You had the option to add cubes into a bag (Senate). At the end of a round, a card with game-changing events would be drawn. Depending on how grave the consequences are, you draw a certain amount of cubes out of that bag. The players drawn, have to find a majority and decide:
F.i. a card says "Plague / 5" – a) find a cure and distribute it. Nothing happens. b) on every field 1 person dies.
Now you draw 5 cubes out of the bag. 2 red, 2 blue, 1 green. If red and blue want different outcomes, they need to barter with green with whom he wants to have a coalition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Parmenter
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the entire game... I was thinking it would be a political-themed game with the players being lobbyists trying to 'buy' influence over Senators. But there would be a card for each bag, with things like "Head of Environmental Subcomittee" making him worth more points for the Oil Lobby, or "Batshit Crazy Senator" who was worth negative points, etc.

I think I like the idea of using it as part of a larger game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.