9 Posts

Discworld: Ankh-Morpork» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo for Ankh-Morpork rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Metal Rabbit
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Has anyone yet devised Solo AI for Ankh-Morpork? If not, it would give me a new project to play with

Not play-all-sides solo, but a set of AI rules, so the other factions play themselves. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to have one too but I don't think I can make one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
metal_rabbit wrote:
Has anyone yet devised Solo AI for Ankh-Morpork? If not, it would give me a new project to play with

Not play-all-sides solo, but a set of AI rules, so the other factions play themselves. Thoughts?

I've done this by playing as Vimes, and trying to run the deck out to prevent the other two factions from meeting their victory conditions.

I forget which other two factions I chose, it probably doesn't matter.

It was harder than I thought, and in fact, Vimes lost!

I did this back when Sir Terry passed away, probably something to do on his birthday, or anniversary of passing, or just whenever I feel like it actually...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit tough.
I would think you could do it, but a large part of the game is ensuring that others don't win. There are a ton of card interactions, interrupts, special powers. I think if you limited it to one character it could be done. But not easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be great fun if it somehow was possible to simulate the ghost players' behaviour according to their hidden roles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
Would be great fun if it somehow was possible to simulate the ghost players' behaviour according to their hidden roles!

Maybe we need Watson...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metal_rabbit wrote:

Please do give it a go Id love a solo set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
BobSpoons wrote:
metal_rabbit wrote:

Please do give it a go Id love a solo set

One way to play solo is to play Vimes with a couple other factions and try very hard to run the deck out without any other faction winning. I thought it would be easy. Vimes didn't win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Roberts
msg tools
Found a way to play solo that I was pretty happy with. I was working out my own mechanics when I bumped into "The Solo System" and I found plenty of ways there to make for a decent solo game of Ankh Morpork.

https://rpggeek.com/boardgame/206074/solo-system

Played a 4 handed game, I was Selachii and the three dummies were Dragon King,Chrysoprase and De Worde. Pulled all the choices out randomly. Obviously you know who the other personalities are which takes out some of the fun, but I found playing them to their individual goals (Dragon King's troublemaking for example) was more than enough to keep me engaged.

The system offers options as to how random you make the AI playing choices within an overall strategy, the game did take longer than expected because I was spending time in picking out very logical options for the AI. Would definitley use the system again for Discworld and will try it for other games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.