Hide
22 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » Variants

Subject: Already feels like the best 100 dollars I have spent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raaj Simran
msg tools
Even if the game ends up being something not to my liking, the minis themselves are worth the money. They could easily end up in my toy shelf next to my action figures!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
that's how everyone has justified every minis kickstarter pledge ever . . .

. . . not that it's wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I'll like the game from what I've seen so far. But I was happy with the core box as announced. The fact we get all these other things added TOO? That's amazing now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And we've jumped the shark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am already thinking of how to repurpose the minis and some of the components... Ikusa or Samurai Battles with a fantasy flair?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it weren't for the stretch goals, you'd simply by the retail copy for the likely $75.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone values things differently. I recently put $750 to KDM and a little over $250 into Mansions of Madness. For me, at only $100 the core was worth it alone and everything else so far has been icing on the cake.

58 NICE minis for $100 is a hell of a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the value will depend on how many add-ons they make and what their content and availability will be like.
So I will wait for the final days to decide wether I will back the game or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary G
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe our money is well spent on just getting the opportunity to read all the crybabies complaining about hurt feelings and thematics of Pandas and Godzillas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
I am already thinking of how to repurpose the minis and some of the components... Ikusa or Samurai Battles with a fantasy flair?

There are also a fair number of feudal Japan miniatures game, with and without fantasy. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/368068/feudal-japanese-mini...

Legend of the Five Rings is one of the better-known Japanese roleplaying games, and I'm sure there're others out there. : https://www.l5r.com/rpg/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man; i wanted that L5R boardgame to happen,...... still DOA

Unpublished Prototype

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
seejay wrote:
If it weren't for the stretch goals, you'd simply by the retail copy for the likely $75.

Every CMON Kickstarter ever has set the base pledge at MSRP. I'm pretty sure Rising Sun will be $100 retail. They also tend to have an online discount rate of about 80%, so expect this to be $80 from CoolStuffInc and other similar outlets. If it's as popular as Blood a Rage, it won't be on sale much. That should just about cover what it will cost for those who choose not to back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guru of Small Meeple wrote:
Even if the game ends up being something not to my liking, the minis themselves are worth the money. They could easily end up in my toy shelf next to my action figures!!

FYI there are hundreds of miniature companies that make models that are as nice if not nicerthan CMON minis. If all you want is cool minis, buy from them! I'm always surprised that minis are the reason many people back. People have been making superior miniatures for years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivans Ivanovs
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you explore the Retailer Pledge - Retailer is obliged to sell the game at $100 not more, not less and can not break the game apart (i.e. stretch goals, etc). But it is related to this Daimyo pledge+stretch goals.

Probably bareskin base game will be available at different price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Scribner
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hughwyeth wrote:
Guru of Small Meeple wrote:

FYI there are hundreds of miniature companies that make models that are as nice if not nicerthan CMON minis. If all you want is cool minis, buy from them! I'm always surprised that minis are the reason many people back. People have been making superior miniatures for years!

The point to emphasize here is the VALUE. Yes, other companies make very nice miniatures. Miniatures have also never been more expensive than they are now, with an average offering from Reaper costing over $6 (don't get me started on Games Workshop). And please don't try to point at Bones as a solution for that; the miniatures in that line really don't hold a candle to their white metal line in terms of detail, or to CMON resin miniatures.

Simply put, there is no better value in the industry for getting a large number of highly detailed miniatures than backing one of these Kickstarters (not exclusively CMON, there have been some other great ones out there as well). Obviously the tradeoffs are that you might not WANT every miniature you're going to get, or you may not like the theme of some of the games on offer, but for sheer value, there's no comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
Man; i wanted that L5R boardgame to happen,...... still DOA

Unpublished Prototype

FFG only has so many IPs, and they spam them. With GW gone and L5R coming in, the odds of a L5R board game is rather high.

Also, the additional exclusive miniatures make this a good deal. You won't be getting that many large sized miniatures as individual purchases for near what you are in one package like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steelcrystal wrote:
Simply put, there is no better value in the industry for getting a large number of highly detailed miniatures than backing one of these Kickstarters

Case in point, in the Massive Darkness kickstarter, with purchased add-ons, you could get 244 incredible minis for a total pledge of about $245. At a $1 per plus a playable game, that is a deal!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you do with all these minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:

Trade them in for a bigger mini
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:

Based on everything I've seen and read, mostly NOT play games.

(Apparently painting is a cathartic and/or social exercise for many - and if you do a good job it's got kind of a trophy effect afterwards. I'm also sure that some people do play games with their minis often, with RPG campaigns probably being a great way to get use out of a shelf of all kinds of different models.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree,... I'm sure that there are some folks who are just "collectors". They like to have them, maybe paint them; but I have also seen the RPG crowd go nuts for these types of minis,... especially the larg monsters,.... that is why the Reaper Bones campaigns have done so well.

I remember when backing the first Myth campaign; the original design had the minis on square 25mm bases (just like RPG folks use), and when they discovered that they were too fiddly for the board game which has you surrounded by oceans of monster minions; they changed to circular bases,..... the RPG crowd were upset,.... so there does appear to be a subset of backer (though they may be small) that care little for the actual game,..... and a lot about the miniatures.

I've managed to pass on other great mini games (including the Samurai themed stuff which I absolutely love!),..... this one, however, is about the game for me. It looks very good so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.