Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to run a small charitable event with BGG. Perhaps it can blow into something larger, and perhaps it already exists. The basic idea is that we take a 24 hour period and play games. Everyone who wants to participate pledges a certain amount-- whether it be one cent or $50 or 5 minutes of time-- to donate to a charity of his or her choice per game played. I would create a geeklist, define a 24 hour, and keep track of all pledges if people were interested in participating, and tally the total games played, so book keeping for each pledge would be minimal-- you'd only need to report your own plays.

I think this would send a good ripple throughout the community of board gaming. It would not only be a great day (for people got to play games) but also a great opportunity for people to give back to their communities, organizations, and establishments that they feel strongly about.

I would be making my pledge to the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society, an organization out of Colorado that helps children with those cancers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your kind of talking like you don't know this is done.....or are you asking for bgg to put one on and promote it?
I think the biggest org is extra life. I know most that I hear about online tend to happen around september I think. Around my area I also hear about a few cons that have a similar goal, gaming hoopla being the next one I can think of.
If your trying to setup your own I'd suggest trying to talk to people who have run those types of things as they have been quite successful (attendance wise as thats all ive heard about) hopefully they will have some tips for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
Your kind of talking like you don't know this is done.....or are you asking for bgg to put one on and promote it?
I think the biggest org is extra life. I know most that I hear about online tend to happen around september I think. Around my area I also hear about a few cons that have a similar goal, gaming hoopla being the next one I can think of.
If your trying to setup your own I'd suggest trying to talk to people who have run those types of things as they have been quite successful (attendance wise as thats all ive heard about) hopefully they will have some tips for you.

I didn't know it was done at all. I've heard of many for videogames, and specific groups putting on marathon streams for charity and such, but never a grass-roots type event where people pledge and play themselves.

My vision of this is like a tiny version of Walk to Read, where many, many groups are doing the same thing at the same time across the globe for a good cause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for extra life

You also might want to look into International games day ( igd.ala.org ) might give you a few ideas on how to get the word around.

I know here in Indy a local game shop does a 24 hour game for charity drive, and the conventions usually have something also (Gen Con picks a local charity to give to every year with events specifically supporting them)

Since you already have a charity in mind, have you thought about contacting their management? Maybe they have some resources you could use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.