Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Rising Sun» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: Why has Rising Sun surpassed Blood Rage backers in the first 24 hrs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E F
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Curious if anyone has thoughts on this. Was Rising Sun better promoted than Blood Rage? Is Rising Sun gaining popularity on the coat tails of Blood Rage? I find it interesting it has almost double the backers within the first 24 hrs than BR had over the whole campaign.

BR end of campaign: 9,825 backers
Rising Sun as of 3:41 march 8: 15,846 backers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people had never even heard of CMON games at the time of the Blood Rage kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
virulentwound wrote:
Was Rising Sun better promoted than Blood Rage? Is Rising Sun gaining popularity on the coat tails of Blood Rage?

Blood Rage's huge success and rise to popularity meant that when word got out that Rising Sun would be a "spiritual successor" to Blood Rage people were chomping on the bit to get in on all the exclusive action associate with the next big hit from CMON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. At the time of the BR KS I hadn't heard of CMON Games. Now I've backed Unfair, Rise of Moloch, purchased Raise Your Goblets, put The Others onto my wishlist, and have had time to look into this before the KS went up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet the subject matter is a little more attractive. There's a lot more eastern culture nerds/fake-nerds out there than there are viking nerds.

I bet the designer is hotter than he's ever been (metaphorically, though he's pretty good looking . . . )

I think the hype has been bigger.

*shrugs*

Kickstarter game money keeps getting bigger in general, if I remember kickstarter's statements correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is because of Blood Rage.

A lot of backers don't want to take a risk on some new project- they want something that they KNOW will be cool. You don't want to drop a bundle on a game, then the minis are crap and the game rules are unintelligible.

Blood Rage has been a huge success outside of Kickstarter as well- so it stands to reason that a lot of folks who played it want to grab the sequel (while the exclusives are still around).

Mind- when Blood Rage was on KS, it was a new direction for CMON (strategy level pvp placement game). They've done so many tactical level games, you know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm backing because I'll probably be able to flip it for 3x the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
TrimChris wrote:
A lot of people had never even heard of CMON games at the time of the Blood Rage kickstarter.

While technically correct, CMON was well known by the time Blood Rage came out. Zombicide Season 3 was well before it and raised 2.8 million.

Rising Sun was promoted far heavier than Blood Rage which is one of the reasons. Blood Rage I had only heard about, because I had recently started following Eric Lang on twitter and he said it was his heaviest game since Chaos in the Old World.

To go back to the first point. Zombicie and everything CMON made up until Arcadia Quest was medicore or worse. Arcadia Quest and Blood Rage were its first great games. So a lot of people who think highly of their board game knowledge and taste ignored everything CMON put out until Blood Rage would be the more accurate statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
At least some of it is probably due to people like me who have heard nothing but amazing things about Blood Rage for the past year and want in on this product.

The critical and commercial success of Blood Rage is the best possible marketing a game like Rising Sun could have ever received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the same reason Zombicide S2 and S3 and Black Plague surpassed Zombicide S1.

I didn't get on Blood Rage because it was a new unproven design to me. I already got burned with the original Myth KS and now I have a ton of useless (to me) plastic taking room in my apartment. I want to get a decent game out of it. I was shy to pull the trigger on Zombicide, Blood Rage and The Others.

I regret passing on Blood Rage because it is a very good game. I bought it retail and didn't get any of the KS exclusives. This one seems like a Blood Rage S2 with improved mechanics. So I'm jumping on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After playing Blood Rage, I felt like an idiot for not kickstarting the game. While I've played Lang's previous games like Chaos of the Old World and Call of Cthulu card game, they didn't grab my attention as much as Blood Rage.

So when he said "Spiritual successor to Blood Rage" and "It's my version of Diplomacy", I had to back it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
odinsgrandson wrote:

This. Blood Rage was Eric Lang's introduction to many gamers, and success begets success.

I'm already looking forward to his next one... (he's working on something with Ignacy Trzewiczek!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at Blood Rage, and decided against it because it was not clear to me what sort of game it was. If I had understood it was in the Cthulhu Wars / Chaos in the Old World / Kemet family, I would have gone for it, and not had to go searching around retailers after release to end up with an incomplete set. This time, what is on offer is clearer to me, and I like what I see, so I am backing it.

I backed quickly because there is something very entertaining about seeing Kickstarter's servers slammed by people looking for CMON Early Bird pledges in a sort of naturally occurring DDOS attack. An entertainment that we may not see again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Bugger this. I want a better world.”
badge
"Do not offend the Chair Leg of Truth; it is wise and terrible."
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy. Because it came later and brand recognition for kickstarter, cmon and Eric Lang are higher. Flip the timing and release Rising Sun back then, and Blood Rage now, and I'd bet money the numbers would be flipped too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how many people there are out there like me, but if it's a sizeable number, then it might help explain Rising Sun's initial success.

I had never backed a CMON kickstarter because they all seemed like boxes of beautiful plastic with an ameritrash hack-n-slash rule-set, which won't make it to my table. I ignored the Blood Rage kickstarter because I assumed it was more of the same.

Then I saw Blood Rage was getting great reviews, and I wound up getting it in a trade, and I loved it.

So I showed up on day 1 of Rising Sun because Eric Lang's name was on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
odinsgrandson wrote:

This. Blood Rage was Eric Lang's introduction to many gamers, and success begets success.

I'm already looking forward to his next one... (he's working on something with Ignacy Trzewiczek!)

Per recent BGGNews post, Lang is involved with 6 games debuting at GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual of Orange Nebula
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
odinsgrandson wrote:

Seriously? That is very enticing.

Are they working on it for CMON? Stronghold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
The game play video for Blood Rage was pretty painful to watch and turned a lot of people off the game. While I really don't know that this one's video is all that much better I doubt as many people will be negatively swayed by it since Blood Rage turned out much better than the impression the video gave people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
clydeiii wrote:

Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
I don't know how many people there are out there like me, but if it's a sizeable number, then it might help explain Rising Sun's initial success.

I had never backed a CMON kickstarter because they all seemed like boxes of beautiful plastic with an ameritrash hack-n-slash rule-set, which won't make it to my table. I ignored the Blood Rage kickstarter because I assumed it was more of the same.

Then I saw Blood Rage was getting great reviews, and I wound up getting it in a trade, and I loved it.

So I showed up on day 1 of Rising Sun because Eric Lang's name was on it.

This is exactly the same boat for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had not heard of Eric Lang before Blood Rage or Arcadia Quest (both of which I picked up after they were released without realizing the connection as I don't typically consider such things).

Tuns out both Blood Rage and Arcadia Quest are on my top 10 favorite games list... and I finally made the connection.

Now I'm seeking out Eric Lang (non-LCG) games as he's been on quite a roll.

CMON helps a ton, too (this will be my 5th CMON KS... and I always like what I get).

Between Eric Lang and CMON, I'm not a bit surprised it's doing so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

Nice.
#YOLO

I mean seriously, the hype over KS exclusives is ridiculous. Gotta ride the train somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drgoldblum
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
clydeiii wrote:

Good luck. So many people are planning to do this, Retailers having the option to get the kick-starter versions from the campaign to sell, and the widespread knowledge of it will surprise me if you manage to sell it for more than $150
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

Nice.
#YOLO

I mean seriously, the hype over KS exclusives is ridiculous. Gotta ride the train somehow.

I enjoy my blood rage set as is, however I really would like to experience the other monsters in the game and its really a bummer I literally cannot hand them money to do so. Plus the sculpts are cool so painting then would be enjoyable too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBoomPanda wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

Good luck. So many people are planning to do this, Retailers having the option to get the kick-starter versions from the campaign to sell, and the widespread knowledge of it will surprise me if you manage to sell it for more than $150

My thoughts exactly. The reason BR KSEs cost so much is precisely because there were so few backers. I'm not sure this will work out the way the flippers think. But hey, the more that try the more stretch goals we have unlocked because of them, so I'm not complaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.