Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my understanding, any failed Mission can be replaced infinite times until it is won.

Maybe this is spoilish (My group only did the first mission so far) but I don't understand how missions, and what triggers these types of decisions.

If Missions can be replayed, I assume only the Decision to go in a direction cannot be changed?

Is there ever a scenario, where if the group fails a mission, that this has some sort of negative impact on the group? (other then the time to play the mission again)

It seems like dying/losing/failing has no negative effect in the campaign. Is this true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Yup. It's true. Unless you want to create some new variant. But I think if you cut off missions when you lost that you would need to create hundreds of scenarios so you can keep playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. There's no real downside to failing a mission. You still get some XP and Gold out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
If you want more tension, try using the permadeath option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your not comfortable with a lack of negative feedback for failure, you can always houserule something like 0 XP & 0 gold (ouch). Or more forgiving: 1/2 XP and 1/2 gold from the scenario table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
In many ways, the game can be considered a series of puzzles and you can try each puzzle until you get it right (or give up and move on; or move on for now and come back later - your choice).

This works well if you tune the difficulty for a middling success rate. Then retrying won't seem odd, it will seem necessary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this actually true? The scenario flow chart that someone posted appears to show that there are branching paths and multiple endings. Am I misinterpreting that? Is it really just a linear affair?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pixel pusher wrote:
Is this actually true? The scenario flow chart that someone posted appears to show that there are branching paths and multiple endings. Am I misinterpreting that? Is it really just a linear affair?

The question is about failing scenarios. If you fail a scenario, nothing changes in the campaign state. No scenarios get closed off by failing. No one dies. Everyone still gets their gold and XP.

If you succeed at a scenario, then yes, the campaign state changes and you may unlock or lock out other scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
pixel pusher wrote:

It's definitely not linear. The question is just about retrying failed scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Dreams
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pixel pusher wrote:

Successful completion of a scenario generally unlocks some other scenarios and my permanently block others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CthulhuDreams wrote:
pixel pusher wrote:

Successful completion of a scenario generally unlocks some other scenarios and my permanently block others.

That is interesting. I look forward to seeing how that plays out..

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.