Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though long extensive reviews seem te be the most popular reviews on BGG, I myself just don't have the time or the patience to read those.
I prefer quick overviews where I can get some insights into why this game may or may not be attractive to me.
So... I'll assume there are more people like this out there, and my reviews will be targeted for that audience, and just consist of my pros and cons coming from:
1) First impressions (before playing my first game)
2) Impressions after the first game
3) Current feelings (after at least 10 plays)

First impressions:
+ Small (and therefore relatively cheap) expansion to Dominion, which could use a little variety after getting a bunch of plays in
(I like Dominion a lot - for my review of Dominion, see https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1718067/review-still-fu...)
- Normally Dominion has beautiful art work; what's up with the Baker and the Candlestick Maker?

After my first game:
+ We bought all three small expansions, or got them as presents (Cornucopia, Alchemists and this one) in a short amount of time. This one was the most fun the first time around, so we decided to focus on this one first.
+ Some cards from other expansions make the game last longer, but the coins from this expansion makes Dominion even shorter to play (it allows saving up money a little, so Provinces can be bought quicker); it's already the favorite game for my wife and me when we want a short game, now it fits in an even shorter time when we want (and still have enough depth to not become too simplistic)

Current feelings (16 plays into it):
+ The coins are my favorite rule I've seen added in one of the expansions we have tried so far. Not only does it speed up the game even more, but it also takes away a little luck (don't mind a bit of luck, but less is almost always better imho); where in a normal game of Dominion two hands with 7 money each doesn't buy you a province on either turn, being able to save a coin for the next turn (rather than getting a +X gold in the current turn that many other cards have) makes it possible to to use 6 in one hand, and have 8 to buy the province in the next
+ The other new rule (Overpaying for a card when buying, in order to get an extra bonus) is nice as well, and creates some interesting new tactical options. Where the use of the coins is quite obvious from the get go, finding out good uses for overpaying takes some more time, which adds to the fun. All in all I am pleased with the extra variety this expansion adds to Dominion.
+ Sometimes expansions just make the game overly complex, but the designers have managed to stay away from that here.
- Limited amount of extra cards (I know it's only a small expansion, but for this kind of money you can buy many full size games)

End conclusion (well, for now):
Nice addition to Dominion! Havn't tried the big expansions yet, and have to explore the two small expansions a bit further for a final conclusion, but so far this is our favorite small expansion.
Would definitly recommend this to anyone that owns Dominion and wants to add a little bit of variety.

(Now on to Cornucopia...)

If you'd like to read more of my reviews, check out Still fun after ten plays? - All reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Ribera
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always appreciate your reviews. They're to the point and usually provide the info I'm looking for. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gashakasha wrote:
I always appreciate your reviews. They're to the point and usually provide the info I'm looking for. Thanks!

Nice to hear. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Guilds is good but I think I like Cornucopia more. It has several of my favourite cards and it changes more when it comes to strategy since several cards reward having a varied deck instead of all the other expansions where focusing on a few kingdom cards is usually the best thing to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Guilds is good but I think I like Cornucopia more. It has several of my favourite cards and it changes more when it comes to strategy since several cards reward having a varied deck instead of all the other expansions where focusing on a few kingdom cards is usually the best thing to do.

We'll be playing Cornucopia for a while now, so I will let you know in my next Dominion expansion review whether I agree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
The doo-dah man
badge
Where's the men's gaming forum?
mbmbmbmbmb
Guilds is easily (IMO) the best of the small box Dominion expansions. It adds minimal new mechanics, but still packs quite a bit into its card selection. This is the go to expansion (along with Prosperity) when the wife and I play. Great review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, none of the sets are really awful (not even Alchemy). This would be another solid set with more interesting cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.