Jean-Francois Boisvert
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
Hello

There was a LGS clearance sale and I bought one core set, the Legions of Death deluxe expansion, and a couple of War packs for a very low price.

I thought I made a good deal but after reading a couple of threads here on the forum saying that I need at least 3 cores and the 2 deluxe expansions and what not, I have a question :

with what I got, without buying anything else, is it enough to play for casual play ?

or should I buy more core sets, hunt down the other deluxe expansion, and more war packs ?

I don't intend to participate in tournament or anything like that, I just want to have fun either playing solo (downloaded some fan made solo rules) or with my son.

thanks all !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dakota Gardner
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry about getting everything. I love the game and think it plays fine with whatever cards you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JayF wrote:
with what I got, without buying anything else, is it enough to play for casual play ?

or should I buy more core sets, hunt down the other deluxe expansion, and more war packs ?

A single core is enough for very casual play. But if you want to do any sort of deck-building (outside of Necron decks), you'll probably want 2x cores.

That said, since you're only playing games from a single collection (not playing against other Conquest owners), you can make any collection of cards work. Just be aware that without 2x cores, your Necron decks will tend to be a lot more consistent and powerful than any other faction, simply because you have close to a full Necron playset.

3x cores is really only necessary for tournaments or if you want to deckbuild competitively against other players who own 3x cores. You only need the other deluxe if you want to play Tyranids (who I personally love, but a lot of people can't stand). If you want more war packs, my advice would be to fill out whatever cycle your existing war packs are from if you can, because a full set of one cycle is going to be a lot more fun to build with than a scattered war packs from multiple cycles due to the way FFG likes to spread keywords and so forth throughout a cycle.

And if you want to stick to one core, here are some decks that should be reasonably balanced against each other (and easy to tweak with whatever other cards you have) that only require a single core set:

Better preconstructed decks with a single core set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While you don't need it, a second core set would be nice to have.

A third core set is also nice to have, but far less necessary.

If you're familiar with 40k, and like the 'nids, then The Great Devourer is something you probably really want. (That's what we're talking about when we say "two deluxe sets," not a second copy of Legions.)

If you're not familiar with 40k, then the Tyranids are a neat thing to have access to for your collection, but it's not the end of the world.

Here's the thing, if you like the core gameplay systems from Conquest, then you probably do want to track down as much as you can now. This stuff is only going to get rarer as time goes by. At this point a lot of Invasion sets (the Warhammer Fantasy LCG) are basically unavailable at any kind of sane price (including some of the really vital stuff like the Assault on Ulthuan expansion.) So, if this is a game you like, and want to collect more of, then yes, now is the time to go digging for whatever you can find.

If it's just, "this is cool, I might dig it out again someday," then no, you can pick up stuff that piques your interest, and you don't need to worry about looking for everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
The more you have, the more value your collection will have if you decide to sell it

I've got everything plus two cores, and there are occasions I'd like a third. It sure would be nice to have extra neutrals at least, and since I can get another core for half of local price I'm probably buying it while it's available.

My FLGS recently got a shipment of leftovers from a distributor. First two packs of the last cycle, most or all of the first cycles. You may get lucky and find most of the game by looking in physical stores. Mine in particular is bad at syncing up the website with the stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Francois Boisvert
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools

Thanks all for your comments !

So no need for me to go to the bank and ask for a loan in order to play this game, as it can be fun with the stuff I have right now without having to buy anything else.

I'll try to make a few decks and see how am I doing with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.