Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mirko Zennaro
Italy
Spinea
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a monster attack have consume element action, but no monster is in range for attack an enemy... is the element consuned or not?

More in general, the sequence is:

1. Check if an enemy is in range
2. If yes, attack and active ability

Or

1. Active (power up) the attack ability (add damage, consume element, etc).
2. Check if enemy in range and if yes, apply damage and effects.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! We play it that the monsters still consume, just because it's easier, but I'm not sure what the official rule is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is the effect listed? Is the consume in smaller letter s under the attack or is it full sized lettering? If smaller, or in the same line with a comma, it is an effect of the attack and therefore would not happen unless the attack itself does. If it is on its own line and full size type, then it happens independent of the attack.

At least, that is my understanding. Still waiting on my copy, it has been shipped at least lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirko Zennaro
Italy
Spinea
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit001 wrote:
How is the effect listed? Is the consume in smaller letter s under the attack or is it full sized lettering? If smaller, or in the same line with a comma, it is an effect of the attack and therefore would not happen unless the attack itself does. If it is on its own line and full size type, then it happens independent of the attack.

At least, that is my understanding. Still waiting on my copy, it has been shipped at least lol.

Smaller.

The question is if the effect charging the attack and only after you check if target something or it is a consequence and can be apply only if the attack has a target.

Same thing may happen with hero cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mizenn wrote:
Gambit001 wrote:

Smaller.

The question is if the effect charging the attack and only after you check if target something or it is a consequence and can be apply only if the attack has a target.

Justin is right. If a hero has an attack and in small font under the attack it says you can consume earth to increase the attack value, then you can't consume earth if you don't attack anyone.

For monsters, if they have an ability to consume an element, they will. If it's small text under an attack and they perform no attack, they won't consume the element.

Note also from the FAQ:
If a monster type consumes an element due to its ability card, does only the first monster who acts gain the effect or all the monsters?
When monsters consume an element, all monsters of that type gain the benefit when they activate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirko Zennaro
Italy
Spinea
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you now, but where do you understand that from Rules or FAQ?

I Not Be able to find a clear sequence explain that or that if you have not a target (but have focus) for an attack you have to bypass all the abilities related to the attack.

All the other abilities need a target to be applied, so there is no problem.
But consume element not. Is the result of consume element that usually will have need to target something. But consume element itself, not.

So for me is not so clear that you need to have a target for the attack for trigger consume element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirko Zennaro
Italy
Spinea
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
mizenn wrote:
Gambit001 wrote:

Smaller.

Justin is right. If a hero has an attack and in small font under the attack it says you can consume earth to increase the attack value, then you can't consume earth if you don't attack anyone.

For monsters, if they have an ability to consume an element, they will. If it's small text under an attack and they perform no attack, they won't consume the element.

Note also from the FAQ:
If a monster type consumes an element due to its ability card, does only the first monster who acts gain the effect or all the monsters?
When monsters consume an element, all monsters of that type gain the benefit when they activate.

Ok.
I just notice thumb up to you from Isaac.

more than enough for me

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our 2p campaign, we just retired two element-heavy characters (Spellweaver and one other) and we got this wrong. We had monsters with "consume element" abilities consuming the listed elements no matter what, whether or not it provided them any benefit. (We did this based on the 'monsters always consume elements when they can' language in the rulebook - or something close to it.)

This might be worth adding to the FAQ?

Not a huge deal, but it means we should have been doing a bit better than we did. For us, the game is difficult enough already.

Anyway, sorry for the thread necro.

Edit: Minor spoilers removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Mind your spoilers, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
Mind your spoilers, please.

Sorry, I'd forgotten that one wasn't a starting character. I've made my comment spoiler-free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.